Our concerns made it to PCGamer.com - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pre-Moistened
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-03, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Our concerns made it to PCGamer.com

Wow, Buzzcutpsychos complaints made it to the frontpage of pcgamer.com:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/03/pl...e-2-critiques/

I guess SOE will have to act on this... TB did it, Hamma is doing it, Buzz is doing it spreading the word about the core issues too.

I am very excited to read Smeds state of the game he wants to post in january

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-01-03 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
yadda
Private

Re: Our concerns made it to PCGamer.com

That's good, I don't like Buzz personally but he was very spot on about his assessment with the game. My largest complaint of this game contradicts my playstyle heavily. Everything revolves around certs, if you're not getting certs you're not playing the game, the best way to get certs is to kill people as fast and efficiently as possible. A lot of people will argue that with me, but there's really no other real goal unless you get warm fuzzies for repairing people and standing around doing a whole lot of nothing capping pointless areas, that's all we have.

I wish that team play was better rewarded than killwhoring but then I look at all of the medic vultures who cant even be bothered to upgrade their tools and change my mind but what I do know is the whole k/d thing needs to go. Even if it doesn't matter, there are people like me who obsess over it and to compound the issue it's the best way to earn certs.

I used to drive an ammo sunderer around but it was too risky/not rewarding enough so I simply stopped and started using a magrider and that's where I have stayed. Of all the things I want addressed the most I want the blatant kill whoring to stop and team play to be much better. I love running around doing stuff with my outfit then I press tab and see such poor exp/hr I feel like I have wasted so much time when I could be farming a sunderer in my magrider.

Last edited by yadda; 2013-01-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by yadda View Post
I love running around doing stuff with my outfit then I press tab and see such poor exp/hr I feel like I have wasted so much time when I could be farming a sunderer in my magrider.
I can honestly say I've never intentionally farmed a sunderer. I've spammed spawn rooms like everyone else, but I always hear about these people who farm sunderers. I just don't do things that are not enjoyable in game. If I'm ever in a Liberator it's because I'm piloting it for someone else, because it's incredibly boring IMO. I love my Magrider, but I go around looking for fights usually. I don't find some spawn and just camp it for 30 minutes.
I dunno, maybe I'm one of the few high rank players that attempts to play the goals of the games? People focus way too much on their certs, k/d, and score/hour. All that comes naturally if people would just play the game for fun.

Same goes to everyone who is critiquing the shit out of the game. It's great to try to improve the game and all, and I know most of the high rank players who are posting still enjoy logging in every night, but the whining about it in-game just makes no sense to me. It's meant to be fun, if you spend your entire in-game time whining about the game then why bother? :| I totally get coming to forums for ranting and raving about the game, but if it's really so bad then why even bother logging in. Games are meant to be fun, if it's not fun then I'm sure there's other games out there that the unhappy individuals can find enjoyable..
Old 2013-01-03, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

I think BuzzCutPsycho is hilarious and I don't agree with what he does, however he is not stupid. The points he made were valid and I am happy to see PCGamer did bring him up and his criticism. Also, lol...the picture on the front page is the Crown.

Last edited by RykerStruvian; 2013-01-03 at 01:55 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
yadda
Private

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I can honestly say I've never intentionally farmed a sunderer. I've spammed spawn rooms like everyone else, but I always hear about these people who farm sunderers.
Well, I guess my post can be misleading, Iv never actually "farmed" a sunderer in an abusive way. I think only a lib can actually do that by splashing the ground near them. A lot of times, I am physically incapable of breaking a sunderer due to using HE ammo and people repairing it from behind where I can't shoot. Heavies pop out and shoot me with rockets so I HAVE to kill them and when I get back to the sunderer it's at max health again so it just turns into impomptu farming by circumstance not by choice. I still use the body of the sunderer as a wall for my explosions but I just can't break it. Asking me to walk away and leave it is similarly ridiculous. So what options do I have?

I spawn camp doors, I do everything people complain about because that's just how the game works. I'm not going to lose on purpose just to make someone else feel better about themselves.

The smart people know the system is bonkers and encourages behavior like this because other things aren't rewarded as well or sometimes even not at all. I want to be that guy who always has a sunderer and keep it alive but it gives crap for exp so why should I bother with it?

Last edited by yadda; 2013-01-03 at 02:11 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I dont know Buzz - but hes pretty much spot on.

K/D whoring is no way to build a long term community or promote tactics.

And the over supply of vehicles(especially aoe spamming air) has destroyed what most players enjoy.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

I think the problem also deals with the fact that its hard to manage a game where a player can outfit a particular vehicle to have varying tiers of upgrades. For instance, in PS1 Reavers typically took more than a single salvo to destroy ground vehicles. I even have a video where it took three salvos to destroy a flail. However, the vehicles themselves were flat across the board in terms of stats...

In PS2, a tank can have four levels of reinforced armor. A liberator can have four levels of reinforced armor too. In this case, the scaling of damage gets offset because they have to scale the weapons to be effective vs vanilla vehicles and also upgraded vehicles. Because of this, it just makes the game feel really imbalanced because it literally is imbalanced...
Old 2013-01-03, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sco
Private

I think his post is spot on.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Shogun
Contributor
General

Same goes to everyone who is critiquing the shit out of the game. It's great to try to improve the game and all, and I know most of the high rank players who are posting still enjoy logging in every night, but the whining about it in-game just makes no sense to me. It's meant to be fun, if you spend your entire in-game time whining about the game then why bother? :| I totally get coming to forums for ranting and raving about the game, but if it's really so bad then why even bother logging in. Games are meant to be fun, if it's not fun then I'm sure there's other games out there that the unhappy individuals can find enjoyable..
i haven´t logged in for some time and i keep my whining constructive and out of the game, in the forums for the devs to see. but i think i can answer your question. ps2 is the only game that has unlimited potential, and the whiners keep logging in because there is nothing similar and the game may turn into the best game ever. i really hope it will!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-01-03, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by yadda View Post

The smart people know the system is bonkers and encourages behavior like this because other things aren't rewarded as well or sometimes even not at all. I want to be that guy who always has a sunderer and keep it alive but it gives crap for exp so why should I bother with it?
I can't not tell you how many times I failed to get XP from doing support jobs. Getting XP for ammo, repairs, heals, and what not is fine for squad mates most of the time (read not all), but when Im helping pubs often all of that work is for nothing.

Troop based heals, repairs, and ammo seem to give XP fine. Yet often I never get revive XP and NEVER get vehicle ammo XP for my sundy with non-squad members. When I running an AMS/ammo sundy and there's already one deployed I keep mine on the move to supply ammo for everyone. No mater how much I hear the resupply sound I just can't get XP without them being in my squad.

Hell, Iv babysat 2 skyguards with an ammo sundy for around 20 minutes before with both of them blasting everything in the sky and not get a single point of XP. Not a single point for over 20 minutes of me risking my neck so that they (2 people Iv never seen before) can do their jobs. Didn't even get repair XP because of them being badasses at keeping the skies clear.

And please don't get me started on how Gal pilots get shafted for doing the only thing they can do now that the GAMS is gone.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I totally get coming to forums for ranting and raving about the game, but if it's really so bad then why even bother logging in. Games are meant to be fun, if it's not fun then I'm sure there's other games out there that the unhappy individuals can find enjoyable..
Apparently no one told you about the rapidly declining server populations.

Almost all of us are logging on less and less. which is a shame because the game could be so good.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

He just said what the vets said in alpha/beta. Not that it did not need to be said again, apparently.

I'm just waiting and watching for the Update 2. They have been quite silent since launch.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-03 at 02:58 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-03, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Your concerns reached us long before PCGamer.

We haven't stopped listening to the players. Major changes have been the result of player feedback in Beta. Sunderer AMS, 12-man squads, adjacency requirements, generators, tug-o-war capture mechanics, and walls on amp stations, just to name a few. Those were all a result of player feedback. Honestly its the best dev interaction and response I'd seen in any game even before I was hired. Nothing has changed - we're still listening and we understand your concerns.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Yes yes, that's all great. We already said thanks. But what are you guys going to do NOW..as in moving forward. Because, frankly, you did not listen to the important things, and now its coming back around to you, as predicted.

I know you can't speak for the team. And i know you were not on the job for alpha/beta. You is meant as "The development team".

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
tug-o-war capture mechanics
What? No. That was Higby, And its been one of the worst ideas yet. Asking defenders to do double the work, instead of hack and hold re-secures is pure Higby.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-03 at 03:09 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shogun
Contributor
General

thanks for reinsuring, malorm!

i think the festivities and holidays are to blame that people think nothing is happening. the devs did a great job in communicating with the fans, but it turned out that the early veteran concerns were justified more than the devs thought. perhaps they should try out more things from ps1 that actually worked. there are lots of great ideas here at psu.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion