Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look a distraction!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-01, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #241
Shotokanguy
Corporal

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Hang on, hold it, huh what?

You can't holster your weapons? I guess it didn't have any use other than letting you run faster, but it's weird to think about.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #242
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
I imagine a piece of metal is cheaper to produce than such a high tech system.
Well, yes. Which is why we don't see much of the LandWarrior system currently, but the American Military was trying to integrate this with all infantry soldiers. (It does alot more than just give sighting, so its a pricey system currently.) I could only imaging in the super future all soldiers would have this kind of equipment. Especially the Terran Republic and the VS.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #243
acosmo
Sergeant Major

from what we know, you cannot put away or holster your weapon in PS2. this means you constantly have your weapon out. assuming no 'ironsights', players will constantly be aiming at whatever they're looking at with their gun shouldered.

even with the whole 'landwarrior' stuff, you still have to assume a proper firing posture in order to sustain firing. having computers and high tech stuff doesn't help with that now does it?
Old 2012-02-01, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #244
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Even with the landwarrior system in use, I am still in favor of ironsights.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #245
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
from what we know, you cannot put away or holster your weapon in PS2.
Is that accurate? I was under the impression there just wasn't an animation or whatever to holster your weapon so it just wouldn't display, but you could in fact holster your weapon. I may have misunderstood though.

I think the realists are just going to have to deal with the whole hip-firing thing. It's kind of been a staple in movies and video games forever. We all know it's not realistic but neither are big firey explosions unless you are using gasoline bombs.

Old 2012-02-01, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #246
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

even with the whole 'landwarrior' stuff, you still have to assume a proper firing posture in order to sustain firing. having computers and high tech stuff doesn't help with that now does it?
True, but i have always assumed in Shooters that the gun is always shouldered unless it shows otherwise. (Like when you sprint, how you move the gun down and sideways to run.)

There just becomes no reason to raise the weapon to your eye with the Landwarrior system. Technically you can even aim around corners and fire with it, though it doubt there is alot of recoil control that way. But i digress, i think its safe to assume your weapon is shouldered at all times.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #247
HitbackTR
Sergeant

In other news you cant beat a fart out of a dead mule.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #248
acosmo
Sergeant Major

so metalsheep, say i'm walking through warpsanc to an outfit mobilization meeting or whatever.

when i'm looking at my outfitleader, you're saying that my player should have his weapon out, aimed, shouldered and ready to fire on him?
Old 2012-02-01, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #249
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

so metalsheep, say i'm walking through warpsanc to an outfit mobilization meeting or whatever.

when i'm looking at my outfitleader, you're saying that my player should have his weapon out, aimed, shouldered and ready to fire on him?
No no, but its a videogame. You already said we cannot holster our weapons. When your gun is out, your aiming it. Unless they add in a function to "lower" your weapon.

But when you are looking at the game, you see your weapon on the bottom right side, pointed forwards. I have always assumed this meant that your weapon is shouldered and at the ready to fire. Because when you have a rifle to your shoulder, pointed forwards, its at the bottom right of your view and ready to fire.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #250
Raymac
Brigadier General

Dude. How many screenshots do you need showing soldiers with their guns pointed down? Relax.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1677
http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1677
http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1622
http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1695
http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1696
http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1710
http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1749

OK I've made my point

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-02-01 at 06:14 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #251
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

It makes you wonder why, with so much realism going into Planetside 2 that they decided to have all the armies wear bright lights to stand out as much as possible.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #252
acosmo
Sergeant Major

point taken? i already know that the situations i propose won't exist in planetside 2 because ironsights will.

the alternative would be apb style character animation/aiming

EDIT: @VioletZero ironsight aren't added for 'realism', they're added to make the game flow at a pace more compatible with a teamwork over reflexes paradigm.

Last edited by acosmo; 2012-02-01 at 06:23 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #253
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
It makes you wonder why, with so much realism going into Planetside 2 that they decided to have all the armies wear bright lights to stand out as much as possible.
Because it's sci-fi, not ArmA

Old 2012-02-01, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #254
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

If we're going to include things solely based on realism then I'd like binocular vision, peripheral vision, changing depth focus, the ability to scan my surroundings while in 'iron sight mode', being able to move just as quickly sans sprinting, an infinite number of steps between 'iron sight off' and 'iron sight fully on' and no penalty for firing from the shoulder under 30m. If you can do all that I'll be happy with a realistic modern combat simulator, until then lets not pretend that you can map anything 1:1 from real life.

1) Does it improve gameplay?
2) Does it make the game more fun?

Those are the only two questions that matter. And it isn't a question of iron sights or no iron sights, there's probably dozens of options in between that are just plain ignored.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #255
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
If we're going to include things solely based on realism then I'd like binocular vision, peripheral vision, changing depth focus, the ability to scan my surroundings while in 'iron sight mode', being able to move just as quickly sans sprinting, an infinite number of steps between 'iron sight off' and 'iron sight fully on' and no penalty for firing from the shoulder under 30m. If you can do all that I'll be happy with a realistic modern combat simulator, until then lets not pretend that you can map anything 1:1 from real life.

1) Does it improve gameplay?
2) Does it make the game more fun?

Those are the only two questions that matter. And it isn't a question of iron sights or no iron sights, there's probably dozens of options in between that are just plain ignored.
I agree with this.

That's why I like ironsights.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion