Resource Gain Idea - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Powered by NTU
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-25, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: Resource Gain Idea

this would help to get people to actually defend something.

if you invested all your auraxium into a base, you would actually care to resecure it every time it is being attacked.

and anything that helps getting rid of the ghost zergs capturing bases without encountering much resistance is a good thing! every time i use the squad auto join, i end up being in a squad doing just this. i haven´t found any real epic fight yet that would last as long as the epic ps1 fights.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-25, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The issue of players stuffing far to reach places is a real one in this instance. The only thing I can think of that might aid this is to 1: put a timer so that, online or off, so that Auraxium isn't permanently stored. 2: A lattice requirement, at least one link must be available to be hacked in order to store Aurax in a given base.
This changes the system to more of a reactionary gamble. Also, instead of a timer, what about the bonus resources stay in the hex as long as there's a set number of friendlies in the hex. Instead of a timer it lasts as long as a fight does.

Are these two changes a good idea? Probably not, but it's what I've got.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Last edited by bpostal; 2013-06-25 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2013-06-26, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rothnang
Major

A system like that would not really work I think. You might be able to defend key positions during the day time, but even there being outnumbered and forced into the defensive would make it undesirable to make a big effort upgrading a base just so your enemy has something valuable to destroy. More importantly however, this kind of thing would lead to a night time capping bonanza. At 5am when there are only a total 300 or so players on the server and even a few dozen people can become a crushing overpop a built up base isn't going to ever last through the night unless your faction is already crushing all others in population.

Maybe if resource investment stayed on a base even if it flips back and forth it might be worth the while. Like, if you have 10 hours of upgrades in the base it takes 10 hours for the enemy to remove them and start making their own upgrades. If you capture it back in that time you can repair the damage they did.

Last edited by Rothnang; 2013-06-26 at 08:08 AM.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Great idea, I'd love to see something like this included in the game. The idea of different outfits 'bidding' to get their tag on an upgraded base is a lot of fun too.

There are definitely some issues that would need ironing out, as Rothnang points out above, but I don't think there's anything insurmountable.

Old 2013-06-26, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Noxxia
ReachCast Show

Originally Posted by Sardus View Post
Maybe just make certain hexes near the middle of the map worth more. Not the ones next to their warpgate that would encourage camping.
I think that's probably the most reasonable idea. I've had other ideas I tossed around in SOECC that essentially came to the same thing. The problem we had though was still creating meaningful gameplay, which I think you really hit well with rewarding resource for capture and defense.
Old 2013-06-27, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Climhazzard
Sergeant

I really like the idea of investing some resource to upgrade various aspects of an outpost or base, but I don't know if even I would be willing to dump that resource into a location that may change hands in less than an hour. That resource would have to be fairly plentiful, or the benefits fairly significant, in order to overcome peoples' reservations about spending them on highly unstable locations.
Old 2013-06-27, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bregic
Private

These are my posts from the TRG forms on this topic. I thought they should be here. I apologies a lot of it is ramble.

"Sardus has any one told you, you are f-ing brilliant. The whole idea of supply cashes at bases combined with upgrades on bases could fit perfectly with the idea of base capture recognition. Were the previous idea cant remember who's but the idea that a outfit is rewarded with having their banner posted on a facility they contributed the most to capturing. And non outfit players would have their own banner for the zerg. I say give that group that took the facility the ability to upgrade it and such as well as give them a larger pool for their bank. Also it would give a huge incentive for defense something that the game lacks. Also a system could be put in place to encourage base hold instead of just capture and run to the next one. Call it raiding the base were you have to hold ownership and connection to the base for a amount of time to siphon resources from the banks that are their. That way it gives incentive for the recapturing of bases as well as the defense of newly captured ones. This same idea could be applied to prevent abuse of the bank system were resources can only be with drawn to a the limit on your creature but they can be slowly transferred to another base via the lattice. Of course this would be such a game changing change that it would have to go through a lot of testing and would take a long long time to fully implement."

"True the base upgrade system would need a lot of balancing to avoid to much of a defenders advantage but I still think the resource bank would be a great addition. And another cool idea would be that certain recourses would be tied to facilities like the passive resource gain is now. Ever since beta I have herd the developers saying they wanted to encourage the capture of certain bases to limit your opponents assess to a certain recourse. I think having this in the game will encourage more strategy and targeting of bases both on offence and defense. I think a dynamic resource system could do this game good because it would make the game feel more like a real war were you have to protect supply lines and capture your opponents supplies if you are stuck behind their lines. You lower the resources a Character can have on them as well as lower the maximum amount of infantry item like grenades and such a person can have on their load outs. If you want to have a stash make it so you can have lockers like in planeside 1 but put them at outpost. Then you have to chose between putting your stash in an accessible place and one that is safe. And if you want to move supplies from one outpost to another put a slow automated system over the lattice or have a cert for the galaxy and the sundered that gets rid of its passenger capability expect for the guns and allow it to transfer supply's that are loaded into it. I support these ideas because I think the game needs to be more dynamic in that there needs to be purpose to bases that are not on the front lines. Right now the only bases and roads that matter on a continent are the warp gate and bases near your opponents territory. There is no need for being behind enemy lines because there are no supply lines. You cant lay mines and traps for tanks because tanks and other vehicles can simply be spawned at the nearest base without end. The system I propose would make it so you could spawn 1 maybe 2 tanks before you have to restock on resources which would be no problem if you were in a base with a cash of that resource. That way if you want to have a constant armor coelom push into enemy territory and keep capturing bases with it you would have to raid armor resource bases or have supply lines bringing you more resources to spawn new tank. These supply lines would be susceptible to ambush and sky attacks. "

I am told that the system I described is a lot like the planet side 1 system which I didn't play so I didn't know that but I do think that resources need to be more tangible then a passive gain over time based off of territory you control. Early on I kept herring that developers wanted people to target bases to starve resources but with the current system that just doesn't happen because each character already has a large pool of recourses and don't need to protect bases to keep it up because it doesn't run out fast enough. The main idea I want to see is a situation were you have to chose whether to keep recourses near the front and accessible but open to capture or safe back in your territory were it takes time to go back in order to refill resources of bring them to the front lines. I want to see a system were bases with cashes of recourses are defended and targeted for that reason. The system needs to be in the hands of the players so it creates a changing battle field were a bases value is not set in stone but determined in part by the players. It would create a much more dynamic fight because right now the only thing that determines which bases people want to fight over is: 1. is there already a fight there? 2. Will this lead to or give us access to a fight? 3. Is there an alert that targets these bases? 4. does this base have a good position in the lattice to defend or territory or give us access to a large portion of there's. The current resource system just doesn't matter in diction making because its a passive system that is completely out of player control and will take place without action from the player (so why bother worrying about it just take more territory?) and the only time you feel the squeeze of not having enough resources is when almost all your territory is captured.

Last edited by Bregic; 2013-06-27 at 01:43 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion