Resource Gain Idea - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Baths are for normal people, are you normal?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-21, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Resource Gain Idea

Since resources are such a hot topic now, just a quick idea:

1) Players receive "auraxium" by earning EXP.

2) Players can invest auraxium into bases (hexes) to upgrade the base to generate more resources.

3) This is a pool everyone can throw auraxium at. Once it hits a certain requirement, the hex upgrades. Low level upgrades don't take much, high level upgrades may take a lot of people. Depending on how many people are working on it, it could take anywhere from a few minutes, to a couple hours.

4) Higher level hexes generate bigger bonuses, encouraging people to invest together. More difficult to defend hexes receive a bigger bonus (ones not of your empire normally, or near the middle of the map).

5) Resources are shared cross continent - so you are not fucked when cont locked.

6) Balance resource gain accordingly.

7) Bigger EXP gains for fighting and capturing hexes of higher levels.

8) Attackers gain a "loot" of that resource type when they take the hex. More important hexes give bigger rewards.

9) Increase the max resource cap, allowing you to stockpile resources. Rely on them when your important hexes are lost and you have to rebuild new hexes.

The game becomes less about "how many certs do I have to pull vehicles as fast as possible" and more "let's invest and defend our shit so we can continue to pull things faster". And even more importantly "let's attack their high value hexes so they can't pull as many tanks, etc. and make them feel it". Resources become more valuable/have a purpose, but you still have some control over them (as an individual and as an outfit/empire).

Important strategies would be to attack high value hexes. Metagame stuff.

Base upgrading has always been a favorite idea of mine. There are a lot of other ideas you can toss into that sort of thing. Possibly other ways to "attack" other bases with auraxium. Like debuffs or hacks you can toss on adjacent bases, etc.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan

Last edited by Sardus; 2013-06-21 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2013-06-21, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sarloh
Corporal

Re: Resource Gain Idea

What about upgrading turrets with these like in Tribes: Ascent, you could spend this new resources to overally increases all it's stats.
Old 2013-06-21, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Throwing your precious auraxium to upgrade all the turrets at a base, is a very valid strategy. It would probably require yourself and a few others to do it, and it would only last until the base is lost.

That sort of thing.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2013-06-21, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Sardus View Post
Since resources are such a hot topic now, just a quick idea:

1) Players receive "auraxium" by earning EXP.

2) Players can invest auraxium into bases (hexes) to upgrade the base to generate more resources.

3) This is a pool everyone can throw auraxium at. Once it hits a certain requirement, the hex upgrades. Low level upgrades don't take much, high level upgrades may take a lot of people. Depending on how many people are working on it, it could take anywhere from a few minutes, to a couple hours. Resources become more valuable/have a purpose, but you also have some control over it (as an empire).

4) Higher level hexes generate bigger bonuses, encouraging people to invest together. More difficult to defend hexes receive a bigger bonus (ones not of your empire normally, or near the middle of the map).

5) Resources are shared cross continent - so you are not fucked when cont locked.

6) Balance resource gain accordingly.

7) Bigger EXP gains for fighting and capturing hexes of higher levels.

8) Attackers gain a "loot" of that resource type when they take the hex. More important hexes give bigger rewards.

9) Increase the max resource cap, allowing you to stockpile resources. Rely on them when your important hexes are lost and you have to rebuild new hexes.

The game becomes less about "how many certs do I have to pull vehicles as fast as possible" and more "let's invest and defend our shit so we can continue to pull things faster". And even more importantly "let's attack their high value hexes so they can't pull as many tanks, etc. and make them feel it".

Important strategies would be to attack high value hexes. Metagame stuff.

Base upgrading has always been a favorite idea of mine. There are a lot of other ideas you can toss into that sort of thing. Possibly other ways to "attack" other bases with auraxium. Like debuffs or hacks you can toss on adjacent bases, etc.
Hmm, banking resources at a facility to boost it's tick would be cool. What's to stop everybody from putting it up on a base in the corner of the map though? Ex: Camp Waterson for the NC and then just never let anyone past Mao.
I would imagine trying to convince people to invest in Hex A and not Hex B would be a bit of a pain as well. Cross cont resource ticks seem like a pretty good idea as well, as you've pointed out once a faction gets warpgated and out of resources there's a disincentive for people to stay on the cont when they could go to an empty cont and sit there for a couple ticks.
Overall, interesting concept. "This outpost sponsored by <outfit tag>" if they boost up a hex.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-21, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
Hmm, banking resources at a facility to boost it's tick would be cool. What's to stop everybody from putting it up on a base in the corner of the map though? Ex: Camp Waterson for the NC and then just never let anyone past Mao.
I would imagine trying to convince people to invest in Hex A and not Hex B would be a bit of a pain as well. Cross cont resource ticks seem like a pretty good idea as well, as you've pointed out once a faction gets warpgated and out of resources there's a disincentive for people to stay on the cont when they could go to an empty cont and sit there for a couple ticks.
Overall, interesting concept. "This outpost sponsored by <outfit tag>" if they boost up a hex.
Outposts/bases farther away from your warpgate would be worth significantly more resources and have a much higher cap to encourage people to place them at risk. Building up a base near your enemies, for example.

Risk = fun. The bases near your warpgate would be upgradeable of course, but not have nearly as good of a potential.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2013-06-21, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Yah, putting the outfit logo/name on the base or something to that effect of who invested the most into that base would be pretty cool. Good idea.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2013-06-21, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Crator
Major General

I really like where you are going with this idea! Good stuff!
Old 2013-06-21, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Outposts/bases farther away from your warpgate would be worth significantly more resources and have a much higher cap to encourage people to place them at risk. Building up a base near your enemies, for example.

Risk = fun. The bases near your warpgate would be upgradeable of course, but not have nearly as good of a potential.
Ah, makes sense. That can allow for high value faculties. Potentially, this could lead to more intense fights in areas that don't currently see them. Throwing a bunch of Aurax into something to make it a little more attractive could entice enemy forces to push for that base, allowing friendly forces to prep ambushes and whatnot.
Would small, coordinated units be able to go behind the lattice/adjacency lines to have a kind of effect on the 'pool'? (thinking like hacking the main console to remove benefits)

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-21, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Whiteagle
Major

Hmmm... how would this work with say, a Pipeline Network and Silos responsible for the Resources we spend on Vehicles and Consumables?
Old 2013-06-21, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrMak
Sergeant Major

They should be a certain cap for this tohugh. So you can infinitly upgrade a base right net to oyur warpgate.. More upgrades permanet such as enhanced fences and such as ipgraded turrets and other defences could follow but THAT woudl have to wait for continent locking so we are no longer reliant on warpgate rotations. Would suck if your outfit threw in to fully upgrade Mao only to be put in the south warpgate. Next patch.

Back to the resource thing. The could also be an option to steal resources using sunderers with a cargo bay utility (removes pasanger seats in favour of resource transport.) Loading up would of course take osme time (nowhere near an actual cap) and them mark the sunderer for enemies in the general area and mark that the base is being raded on them map.

The further the base is form an enemy connection and closer to its warpgate the more valuable the take the ammount of resources oyu can steal. So if NC own half of Indar and ypou raind a base connected to the warpgate you would get tonnes more than if you rainded a frontline base.

However if the "raider" sunderer gets destroyed not only do the resources get instantly returned but the peopel who had a hand in taking it out (both delaing damage and, to al esser degree, simply beign in the same platoon as the guy who did it) would recieve a resoure + Auraxium boost and a n XP boost.

Maybe even allow to transfer your own or your outfit's "pot" between base if you realise you cant hold it for instance.
Attacking these transports owuld also yeald the smae rewards as hunting down raiders

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-06-21 at 07:27 PM.
Old 2013-06-21, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
VinLAURiA
Private

Maybe it's just because I've been playing a lot of Fortune Street, but this sounds like an excellent idea. Investing in a territory to increase risk-reward would be a big step in jump-starting the strategy element again and actually make people think about where the forces should be going.

As a matter of fact, taking a cue from Fortune Street I'd suggest that anyone who invested Auraxium in a territory gets back a small fraction of resources any time someone on their empire makes a kill in it. Maybe - like - every 100 Auraxium would give back 1 of that territory's resource type for every kill. It would encourage people to invest in highly-populated areas and fight to defend their investment.
Old 2013-06-22, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Now I realised the raiding idea has a problem. If there are no limitations introduced, then all the bases would get robed blind during the off hours. So that system would have to be disabled untill the continet's population reaches a certain number.
Old 2013-06-22, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Old 2013-06-24, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Noxxia
ReachCast Show

Love the ideas as I mentioned on twitter, but I gotta say, I don't know how much I like this one because the way I'm reading it, I feel like it can lead to a snowball effect. I agree that risk is fun, but it doesn't seem risky to go for bases that are worth a lot from far away since we already want to push to cap the continent. I feel like it would make more sense for base upgrades further away to cost more assuming base upgrades to be something that can really actually help (regardless of how close they are to your own warpgate). This way if players dump their resources into a base close to the enemy lines, they're taking the risk not having the strength to continue pushing an enemy that has to spend significantly fewer resources defending. How this works in my mind is if players have dumped massive amounts of resources into the base close to the enemy warpgate, they're weakening their push by not being able to spend those resources on things like tanks and aircraft. If the attackers don't, and opt into buying more what is needed to continue a strong push, the enemy doesn't have to spend much to defend, and if the enemy does hold off the push, it'll be into a fairly unprotected base. If players gain more resources for pushing in though, there doesn't seem like much risk since we already want to push far in like that. But maybe I'm interpreting what you're saying incorrectly.

I've been trying to make this logic make sense, but I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job of it. But as I said earlier, Love the ideas! Giving players resource gain by attacking and defending gives more meaning to those actions rather than just passive gain.
Old 2013-06-25, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Noxxia View Post
Love the ideas as I mentioned on twitter, but I gotta say, I don't know how much I like this one because the way I'm reading it, I feel like it can lead to a snowball effect. I agree that risk is fun, but it doesn't seem risky to go for bases that are worth a lot from far away since we already want to push to cap the continent. I feel like it would make more sense for base upgrades further away to cost more assuming base upgrades to be something that can really actually help (regardless of how close they are to your own warpgate). This way if players dump their resources into a base close to the enemy lines, they're taking the risk not having the strength to continue pushing an enemy that has to spend significantly fewer resources defending. How this works in my mind is if players have dumped massive amounts of resources into the base close to the enemy warpgate, they're weakening their push by not being able to spend those resources on things like tanks and aircraft. If the attackers don't, and opt into buying more what is needed to continue a strong push, the enemy doesn't have to spend much to defend, and if the enemy does hold off the push, it'll be into a fairly unprotected base. If players gain more resources for pushing in though, there doesn't seem like much risk since we already want to push far in like that. But maybe I'm interpreting what you're saying incorrectly.

I've been trying to make this logic make sense, but I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job of it. But as I said earlier, Love the ideas! Giving players resource gain by attacking and defending gives more meaning to those actions rather than just passive gain.
Maybe just make certain hexes near the middle of the map worth more. Not the ones next to their warpgate that would encourage camping.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion