Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 24 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-19, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #346
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Originally Posted by goneglockin View Post
Not for that reason, but for money. Someone else asked what game I was talking about. Take your pick. This is how most all of the major brand name FPS games play today. Nerfed FPS gameplay to make it enjoyable at any level of skill, it's good for business.

This is what made FPS gaming a household item.

This is what made the competitive tourneys go away, when no wanted to watch someone "think" about maybe moving from bush to bush for a better chance to flank/shoot someone in the back.

The mechanics are all deliberate, whether or not they are conspiracy- who knows. But they are deliberate to make it enjoyable for all ages/skill levels. Tactics has nothing to do with it, because again- the games are not played that way. Look at the other interests of the target demographic of your average xbox kid to see why these mechanics encourage nothing but dullness.

Again- mechanics don't encourage, they discourage. They are limits, barriers. You can play around them, and if you think the result is "tactics," then that's your opinion.
Do you actually read the crap you type?
Old 2012-02-19, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #347
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
The solution to all ADS problems is, when aiming down the sight, do not reduce the COF. Now it's just a quick zoom function.
I kind of like the idea that aiming would allow you to hit your target better. BF3 handles this issue very well. Some weapons (SMGs) have a smaller cone of fire than other weapons while unscoped, but have limited range. Other weapons have a larger CoF when unscoped, but better range when aiming.
Old 2012-02-19, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #348
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I still think it looks stupid.

Scopes? Fine by me! But this insta-zooming crap with the huge ass of a gun taking nine tenths of the screen for three eighths of a second every time someone shoots is just stupid. It looks stupid.
Old 2012-02-26, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #349
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

What do you think? As an added bonus since it's basically just a transparent texture applied to a plane it'd be really simple to include hundreds of custom designs/colors for it. Even some nifty effects like static and fading in and out if you're hit with a jammer grenade for example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sights.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	320  
Old 2012-02-26, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #350
Meechem
Private

Re: Higby Wants Our Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

To me it seems that the need for iron sights depends on the speed of gameplay
i.e. Tribes Ascend doesn't have them but slower shooters like bf3 do
so if the speed of PS2 is slower than bf3 shouldn't iron sights be reasonable?
Old 2012-02-26, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #351
goneglockin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Do you actually read the crap you type?
Was something not clear? Which part?

I can say a lot of different ways, but the consolization of FPS games has made them a household product at the expense of watered down gameplay; but business doesn't care about that, business cares about sales.

If these games still required the same skill they used to, they wouldn't sell millions of copies the first weekend of release. It would still be a hobby for nerds with ubercomputers and god-like twitch reflexes.

What these mechanics did is open the market for the average gamer to get some kills and enjoy themselves without being omgwtfowned constantly, it sold more copies and companies prospered.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about that.
Old 2012-02-26, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #352
DayOne
Captain

Was something not clear? Which part?

I can say a lot of different ways, but the consolization of FPS games has made them a household product at the expense of watered down gameplay; but business doesn't care about that, business cares about sales.

If these games still required the same skill they used to, they wouldn't sell millions of copies the first weekend of release. It would still be a hobby for nerds with ubercomputers and god-like twitch reflexes.

What these mechanics did is open the market for the average gamer to get some kills and enjoy themselves without being omgwtfowned constantly, it sold more copies and companies prospered.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about that.
IronMole is right, you do type crap.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #353
goneglockin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
IronMole is right, you do type crap.
I wonder if wool over your eyes is itchy
Old 2012-02-27, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #354
Seagoon
Corporal

I wonder if wool over your eyes is itchy
He is quite right goneglockin, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by goneglockin
Again- mechanics don't encourage, they discourage. They are limits, barriers. You can play around them, and if you think the result is "tactics," then that's your opinion.
This alone proves that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Oh and the idea that ADS (Ugh for some reason I hate calling it that), some how removes the tactics and skill involved in playing an FPS? Or that speed fpses are somehow superior in skill requirements and mechanics?

Here, go play this for a bit and learn that you are so very wrong:

http://www.realitymod.com/

And check out this guys vids if you cba to do that:

http://www.youtube.com/user/muitocomplicado

Dont let the name of the modification fool you, this mod was never supposed to be 'realistic' like milsim games, but instead promote realistic teamwork and tactics while still being fun through a combination of realistic and unrealistic game mechanics.
Old 2012-02-27, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #355
Reni
Private

First post, but here it goes...

True iron sights should have a purpose both with story and gameplay.

STORY

Vanu - it would seem pointless. They use alien technology.

TR - it could work, but not for everything. They are well funded and have the resources. I can understand on some of the smaller weapons like pistols and smg types, but not for anything else.

NC - These guys have, essentially, hand me downs. They are the poor faction. Iron sights would ideally fit them the best.

GAMEPLAY

Iron sights or other forms of sights should have a gameplay purpose. If its just for aesthetics.
Old 2012-02-27, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #356
Shogun
Contributor
General

i don´t know why you guys misspell him all the time, but i would like to see michael ingame

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-02-27, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #357
Naeadil
Corporal

Leave ironsights in game, make the accuracy gain little to non existant. Problem solved.
Old 2012-02-27, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #358
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by Naeadil View Post
Leave ironsights in game, make the accuracy gain little to non existant. Problem solved.
The point of Iron sights is that you gain accuracy. Your hip fire CoF is there because if you fire from the hip IRL you have NO idea where you are shooting.

Personally I'd like to see it so where ever your gun is aiming the bullet always goes there. The "CoF" from the hip is only so you know roughly where your bullets will land but they still come straight out the end of the gun.
Old 2012-02-27, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #359
goneglockin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post
He is quite right goneglockin, you have no idea what you are talking about.

This alone proves that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
I am 30 years old and I have been playing these god damn games since they have existed, and if anyone has an idea of what they are talking about- it\'s me.

Would you agree that mechanics are rules?

Which statement do you honestly feel is more true?

Rules encourage desired behavior.

Rules discourage undesired behavior.

Anyone who isn\'t completely full of shit will tell you rules don\'t encourage anything- and neither do game mechanics. We all know rules were made to be broken, playing by them gets you no where, and we are always looking for ways to bend them. Even if people who consider themselves to be upstanding citizens hardly see rules as a model for behavior. They are and always will be limitations.

Aside from children with war fantasies, who talk about IRL as if it has any bearing on a video game, no one sees these things as points of encouragement for what you call tactical play.

Last edited by goneglockin; 2012-02-28 at 12:08 AM.
Old 2012-02-28, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #360
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i don´t know why you guys misspell him all the time, but i would like to see michael ingame

Now there\'s a born-n-bred TR if I ever saw one...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion