Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2 - Page 33 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Can we put flame decals on our ships?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #481
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Man, if I trusted you I would let you play on my buddies Planetside account. You need to see how an MMOFPS actually plays out.
Of course that wouldn't work in Planetside 1.

But I'm saying it will work in Planetside 2 because this game is going to be a lot less skill based and more accessible.
Old 2012-03-07, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #482
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
Of course that wouldn't work in Planetside 1.

But I'm saying it will work in Planetside 2 because this game is going to be a lot less skill based and more accessible.
Why do you think this game is going to be less skill based? Where did you get that idea?

From the gameplay footage I've seen, it looks like this game is going to be much more hectic and fast paced than the original. With headshots and bullet drop and jetpacks...
Old 2012-03-07, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #483
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Why do you think this game is going to be less skill based? Where did you get that idea?

From the gameplay footage I've seen, it looks like this game is going to be much more hectic and fast paced than the original. With headshots and bullet drop and jetpacks...
...and ironsights that slow you down and a clear Call of Duty influence.

Not that I object. I really like this direction.
Old 2012-03-07, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #484
Aurmanite
Captain

...and ironsights that slow you down and a clear Call of Duty influence.

Not that I object. I really like this direction.
So, ironsights make the game require more or less skill?
Old 2012-03-07, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #485
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

So, ironsights make the game require more or less skill?
Yes.

Because any time you want to shoot someone, you'll be slowed to a crawl so that you don't have crap aiming.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #486
Aurmanite
Captain

Yes.

Because any time you want to shoot someone, you'll be slowed to a crawl so that you don't have crap aiming.
Dude...

What?

Reread my question.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #487
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

And my answer remains the same.

Whenever you use your ironsights, you're slowed down. If you don't use your ironsights, you have crap accuracy and are just making yourself a target for those who are using ironsights.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #488
Warhound
Corporal

Well I'm certainly no veteran of games with vehicles that can be multi-crewed(Aces High and WW2O) I preferred the inevitable teamwork that it created. While soloing tanks were doable it was really only viable in aces high, while WW2O it was cumbersome performing all the roles a tank could offer such as Commander,Gunner, and driver.

While I do like the armored gameplay of say a battlefield, I can truly see where people are coming up with the notion of static fights. It's hard multitasking between the two roles and the only way to be really effective is sit back,be static, and shoot. Honestly I would prefer the option to be able to multi-crew but don't force it on people so they can be viable.

tl;dr: I'm gonna stay neutral on the subject.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #489
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
Well I'm certainly no veteran of games with vehicles that can be multi-crewed(Aces High and WW2O)
WW2O is much better than Aces, though it's actually harder than real life to take off in that godforsaken game.

On a more related note, in WW2O keep in mind soloing in something like a bomber was easy, almost crucial. They had a loose autopilot that allowed you to bomb and fly (not so much tailgun, unless you were really good).

But on the topic of tanks teamwork was really essential. When I used to play I loved hopping in a Panzer during one of the American campaigns and wiping allies off the streets of a major European city. There was so much more you could accomplish with multiple people -- Situational awareness being a huge one.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-10, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #490
Mechzz
Major

To Gun or not to Gun?

Lots of controversy on the "driver is gunner" thing.

Personally I fall on the side of preferring the teamwork aspect, but you can see both sides of the argument (more vehcs = good). Some of my best-remembered PS1 moments were playing in an outift tank squadron on Teamspeak - awesome!

(also used to enjoy solo-gunning a Lib in anti-personnel mode, so can't claim purity )

So, why don't our mighty Devs make this a cert option for those would prefer not to both drive and gun? They'll want to make the "driver is gunner" the default, but would be nice for the tank-heads to get the option, yes?
Old 2012-03-10, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #491
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: To Gun or not to Gun?

Multiple crew in a vehicle is not teamwork, it was balance. 2 people in two different vehicles takes more effort and skill to coordinate than 2 people in one vehicle.

I'd be fine with that weapon option, but it should of course be less effective than regular tank with the driver controlled gun, due to the decreased skill required to use it effectively.
Old 2012-03-10, 12:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #492
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

1.) Please bump the old topic instead of creating a new one.

2.) The cert idea is decent. But I'd really prefer requiring players to work together... The tradeoff with requiring two people in a tank is that the solo players would turn their attention to Reavers and the other fighters, filling the skies with them.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-10, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #493
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'd be more okay with the cert requirement than how it is now. Unfortunately, I don't think this is something they're listening on, considering very few are for it and it's still in.
Old 2012-03-10, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #494
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

I am of the group that believe that two people should be required to use a MBT. One gunner, one driver.

Less powerful, armoured vehicles need one person. Heavily armoured and more powerful vehicles require two.

Balancing in effect. It's not like there's not enough players to man the tank turrets.
Old 2012-03-10, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #495
getcarter
Private

I dont think making two people man a heavy tank is going to promote team work. If anything people will just avoid using that particular tank. Although i am not completely against the idea i would however prefer it to be an option rather than a must.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion