Malorn's Stats Thread Reborn - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How can Hamma sleep at night?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-01, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Malorn's Stats Thread Reborn

Originally Posted by rTekku View Post
Stats have completely ruined Battlefield 3. In the attachment which comes from Battlelog aka Statsbook, you will see the biggest statistics are individual stats and that the page lacks any real team action stats, captures, etc.

The only team actions you will find are heals, resupplies, revives and repairs at the bottom of the page.

Attachment 841

I'm not even going to go off on a long rant explaining why, but this is the WRONG way to handle stats. Team Actions need to be emphasized more as individual statistics are irrelevant. It would be nice to be able to view them still, but honestly, there's no reason my K/D should take priority over how many times i've captured a point or the amount of times i've healed and revived people.
Unfortunately the stats we've seen of the game from E3 it looks like they copy-pasted the battelog stats page into PS2.

(If anyone wants to see the stats offered for PS2, see E3 Day 3 TotalBiscuit footage - it starts with a stats overview for the game).
Old 2012-08-01, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Keep all the stats... But don't plaster K/D everywhere... I think it would just be in your overall stats.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

at the end of the day, just like in ps1, i think it will be the outfits that matter more anyways.

people can pad stats and play like idoits to do it. but you get a few of the bigger outfits rolling, and the stat padders follow, stat padders become fodder, or clog, they become targets and distractions, the big outfits will push the objective, smaller squads will followi the lead, and in the end it all works out.

its how i remember the early years of ps1. i think it will be the same here. alot of people who only care about k/d will generally follow the giant crushing machine that lets them pad it. while taking out that gal spawn is a big advatage, if some idoits camp it for ten minutes and wind up routing small squads of the enemy to try and save it, in the end they are doing something importent. keeping fire off the main force.

OpticalShadow - Terran Republic Stabasaurus-Rex
Old 2012-08-01, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Fligsnurt
Private

Misc Info

I completely agree with Totalbiscuit on this matter. KDR heavily effects how people choose to play the game. The early problems in BF3's community could be attributed to the fact that KDR was such a prominent stat on battlelog. It evened out after a while due to the fact that the more people focusing on KDR the more your WLR suffered and that stat was more reflected on your front page.

I think that TF2 is a good staple to look at for the effects on gameplay in the current gaming community that doesn't utilize KDR on their score boards. The gameplay is much more progressive. There are objectives, there are teamwork based classes and their are the more combat based classes. And because points are more easily accumulate by supporting the team rather then kill whoring you see more people filling support roles.

There will always be those that care solely about the amount of kills you get but if you don't make it seem that KDR is important less people will care about it. If you are to keep it, put it in a less observed area. The front page stats on a player's profile should be more about their over all contribution to gameplay. Stats like overall score, SPM, revives, repairs, squad spawns, people that have spawned off your galaxy, hacks, captures, defends. Those stats, if put in the first place people look at their stats, will help promote better gameplay.

Just remove the KDR stat itself and put kills and deaths as two seperate stats on the advanced stats page IMHO.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Kalledorn
Private

Definitely agree that K/D should be moved to a less prominent place and should not be emphasized. I am not sure if it should be changed or removed completely but I definitely do not think that it should be shown as an important stat.

Yes, outfits and team play can still win out over individual lone wolves but alot of people do simply love to be at the top of the leaderboards by any means necessary and that could mean simply farming and other things that can be counter productive to team play.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Novice bot
Sergeant

This again?

I want to follow my stats, so I can follow my progression as a player. Do I actually care if my K/D ratio is higher or lower? Nope. But I want the option to know, that's about it.

It's not the objective, who the hell thinks people think its their objective, if K/D is in the game? Those who care about their K/D.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
foam
Private

I'm not smart enough to grasp the concepts being talked about in this thread.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
bmfof
Private

It's amazing how such a small and simple feature stirs so much butthurt in the glass.

The notion that K/D shouldn't be tracked because it's not an objective is laughable - enemy extermination is the prevelant method of reaching objectives and accomplishing the more challenging tasks in the game. Having a gauge on that performance is important in order to monitor both your and your outfit's overall usefulness with this particular method. If you are a bad leader you'll take someone with shit K/D and kick him out because you can't find a purpose for him, thus your outfit will suffer, because it'll end up being composed of FPS junkies with no tactical foresight. If you are half competent and you're able to detect someone's strenghts then more power to you - at the end of the day a good outfit is compiled out of all kinds of players - medics and engineers who'd rather stay in the back for support, infiltrators who'd scout and backstab enemy lines, pilots who fare better with vehicles, and your HA, LA and MAXs cannon fodder platoons - the more varied your force is, the more effective it'll be.

K/D junkies will be K/D junkies regarldess of whether you track their stats or not. Let them have their fun - it's completely irrelevant if they have good stats, if they can't follow simple objectives and listen to orders they will remain useless and eventually give up on the game. But I'd rather cultivate them and keep them in the game, instead of just putting a cockblock infront of them from the getgo and alienate them during the first 5 minutes of playing.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by bmfof View Post
It's amazing how such a small and simple feature stirs so much butthurt in the glass.

The notion that K/D shouldn't be tracked because it's not an objective is laughable - enemy extermination is the prevelant method of reaching objectives and accomplishing the more challenging tasks in the game. Having a gauge on that performance is important in order to monitor both your and your outfit's overall usefulness with this particular method. If you are a bad leader you'll take someone with shit K/D and kick him out because you can't find a purpose for him, thus your outfit will suffer, because it'll end up being composed of FPS junkies with no tactical foresight.
^This.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Kran De Loy
Captain

I fully support Malorn's idea of using Score as the primary way to track individual and outfit ability, however K/D should stay in the game as well.

I agree that K/D and kill streaks are bad, but they're something so ingrained into the FPS gaming community that has been derived from session bases shooters for so long that it's pretty integral now. So basically they're bad on a personal opinion level.

I mean K/D isn't the same as red jam on your screen. If red jam being just as integral in FPS gaming as K/D, then I would be COMPLETELY behind any movement to irrevocably remove that idea from the face of existence for all of time.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-08-01 at 05:34 AM.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Kipper
Captain

I see this as being as much about balance as how actual guns, vehicles and classes compare to each other.

Simply don't give any single one stat any prominence over the other, but report as many stats as its possible to track.

Thus people can measure their performance on the criteria that they feel comfortable with, they can check leaderboards against people on what they feel as though they excel at, or how performance should be measured.

Some people will want to play for kills, some support actions, some captures, and its all relevant and up to the individual imho. Some people will want to track all-time performance, some will only be interested in the last 30 days, or last week - why would you beat yourself up / want to be at a disadvantage for being shit at a brand new game which you weren't as familiar with, a year after you started playing?

No one person should be even allowed to say "the way you're tracking your performance is wrong, you should do it like this" because thats just bollocks, its up to the individual - and the game will be more successful when everyone can play it exactly the way they want to and not have to conform to what someone else says is right.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Harasus View Post
Right, and let us throw in a "meters run" stat too, which pops up on the screen in capital letters:

"1 000 METERS!"

"DOMINATION: 10 000 METERS!"

"REVENGE: YOU OUTRAN A GUY!"

"RUNNING SPREE: 1337 METERS!"

It is not my goal either, but heck, I would like to know. Plus, if you run enough it WILL have an impact.
Well atleast I don't have to take you seriously ever again.

Last edited by Landtank; 2012-08-01 at 09:25 AM.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Way too dramatic. I get the point of view, but that was way too long.
Never say anything like TL;DR.

I enjoyed it very much.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Personally K/D is what motivates me in FPS's so I can't imagine them without them.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-01, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Need more people actually listening to TotalBiscuit's response instead of knee-jerk posting.

Ill reiterate - I agree with TB entirely. Put KD in an advanced stats option, make that option private, and fill the default stats with teamwork related stats.

The masses get good encouragement, the "i want all stats!" people get what they want, and its there for the silly individuala who measure themselves by it. Its win for everyone.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion