Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: smells of dirty TR and NC scum.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-07, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Lol look at the internet hero, thinks he's tough because of the style of games he prefers.
Typical.
Old 2012-01-07, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Sifer2
Major

I never understood the lover affair modern games have with Ironsights. Maybe its because I grew up playing FPS that didn't use them. For me the Ironsight is just an additional button I have to press before I can pull the trigger. It merely slows me down, and handicaps my experience. If realism is what the shooter is about then I accept their presence. Such as Americas Army or ARMA. Where its supposed to make you feel like a real soldier then sure.

But in a normal shooter I feel that yes they just slow down gameplay, and make fighting less mobile or skill based. In fact I suspect this precisely why many modern gamers prefer them. It lowers the amount of skill needed to effectively play the game. COD for example even has auto aim Ironsights that snap to the nearest target when you go into them. And even without auto aim it zooms in making aiming easier. An slows movement so enemies are easier to hit.

In the end I doubt they are going to take Ironsights out of Planetside 2. I think its a bit of a shame but that by slowing you down it probably helps with latency. So you can either run an be hard to hit or stop an shoot but be easy to hit. That's probably where they are going with it. But if we had a choice then yeah I probably vote for no Ironsights. Just scopes for Rifles.
Old 2012-01-07, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
I never understood the lover affair modern games have with Ironsights. Maybe its because I grew up playing FPS that didn't use them. For me the Ironsight is just an additional button I have to press before I can pull the trigger. It merely slows me down, and handicaps my experience. If realism is what the shooter is about then I accept their presence. Such as Americas Army or ARMA. Where its supposed to make you feel like a real soldier then sure.

But in a normal shooter I feel that yes they just slow down gameplay, and make fighting less mobile or skill based. In fact I suspect this precisely why many modern gamers prefer them. It lowers the amount of skill needed to effectively play the game. COD for example even has auto aim Ironsights that snap to the nearest target when you go into them. And even without auto aim it zooms in making aiming easier. An slows movement so enemies are easier to hit.

In the end I doubt they are going to take Ironsights out of Planetside 2. I think its a bit of a shame but that by slowing you down it probably helps with latency. So you can either run an be hard to hit or stop an shoot but be easy to hit. That's probably where they are going with it. But if we had a choice then yeah I probably vote for no Ironsights. Just scopes for Rifles.
sorry bro but your entire post was bs. i mean, isn't planetside supposed to be an intense modern shooter with a decent resemblance to full scale combined arms warfare?
Old 2012-01-07, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
sorry bro but your entire post was bs. i mean, isn't planetside supposed to be an intense modern shooter with a decent resemblance to full scale combined arms warfare?
What does that have to do with iron sights?
Old 2012-01-07, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Khellendros View Post
What does that have to do with iron sights?
He's saying that sife's thoughts on why iron sights shouldn't be in the game are bogus.

sife says that he feels that iron sights better belong in games like America's Army and arma. Realistic war shooters. Which is what Planetside it closer too than your arcade shooters like quake and tribes etc.
Old 2012-01-07, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Sifer2
Major

I'm not sure what you mean. But if your trying to attack from some kind of realism or immersion angle then forget it. Planetside is far from realistic. If it was then combined arms would mean satellite finding you some targets to bomb or shell from miles away with artillery. Then send a APC with guys in later to pick through the rubble.

I'm talking more about what is fun. And a more competitive fast paced shooter is more fun to me. Where you don't have to slow down an go into zoom mode before you can shoot. Removing possibility of any evasive action to make yourself harder to hit. Were basically talking Counter Strike vs. Call of Duty more or less. Though I prefer Halo more than Counter Strike actually.
Old 2012-01-07, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

If it was then combined arms would mean satellite finding you some targets to bomb or shell from miles away with artillery. Then send a APC with guys in later to pick through the rubble.
You mean like orbital strikes and bang buses? Seems like a viable strat in PS2 to me.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
You mean like orbital strikes and bang buses? Seems like a viable strat in PS2 to me.
seriously, lol.

@sifer2 that pace of combat doesnt really have a place in planetside. i think we can both say that world of tribes done in forge light would be awesome though.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
Sifer2
Major

seriously, lol.

@sifer2 that pace of combat doesnt really have a place in planetside. i think we can both say that world of tribes done in forge light would be awesome though.

That's funny considering Planetside 1 didn't have ironsights. And you had enough health to make evasive skill based fights work in medium range to a degree. So maybe your just saying it has no place in Planetside 2?

If that's the case I do wonder why they bothered adding the light jump pack class. Seems like its just going to get shot to bits when it has to stop moving to shoot you. But I guess we will see how that goes down. But from my point of view the one's that benefit most from Ironsights will be the campers, and snipers.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
acosmo
Sergeant Major

That's funny considering Planetside 1 didn't have ironsights. And you had enough health to make evasive exploit based fights work in medium range to a degree. So maybe your just saying it has no place in Planetside 2?
FTFY

sorry, did you just say campers? planetside isn't supposed to be about the fragfest, it's a social game where coordination and organization are made more lethal than players with artificial aiming. also the jetpacks are just for climbing things. you probably can't effectively aim at anything while flying.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #101
Elude
First Sergeant

For all those who think iron sights don't slow down the game.... Of course iron sights slow down the game! You have to click an extra button and wait an extra second for the animation to complete. On top of that iron sights slow down your run speed and they lower your FOV, which can result in tunnel vision.

I'm not against iron sights in the slightest for a game like Planetside 2. You're talking about a game that strives off massive scaled combat with 100s of players at a time, hit detection would be a nightmare if this were twitch based like CS or more excessively, Quake. Let's also not forget that Planetside 2 is a heavily team based game, eliminating one man army scenarios is in its best interest.

Skill per player should be the least important factor in Planetside 2. I'm an avid Quake player who loves a game that supports high levels of skill and gives a player a challenge but I don't think that fits at all in this type of game, at least not per player but per team instead.

Last edited by Elude; 2012-01-08 at 12:24 AM.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

That's funny considering Planetside 1 didn't have ironsights. And you had enough health to make evasive skill based fights work in medium range to a degree. So maybe your just saying it has no place in Planetside 2?
Planetside 1 didn't have it because games at the time didn't use it. The closest that did use it was america's army and it was the only game for a while that did. And that was only a released a year before Planetside, which had been in development since the 90's. It just wasn't a feature considered at all.

If that's the case I do wonder why they bothered adding the light jump pack class. Seems like its just going to get shot to bits when it has to stop moving to shoot you. But I guess we will see how that goes down. But from my point of view the one's that benefit most from Ironsights will be the campers, and snipers.
The jump packs are for more tactical gameplay, like flanks and such. It's been stated that there are parts of the new bases that only the packs can reach, like the backdoor's from planetside 1, or the top entrance to towers. Not for skiing and evading.
Old 2012-01-08, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Graywolves
General

Well...Iron sights are really only useful from 100-250 meters away and is subpar to other methods of aiming down a range.

In a future where I wear epic body armor and fight over territory in a distant galaxy...I think Iron sights are just stupid.

Welcome to the year 9746, now let's spend 3 days on the firing range getting your iron sights adjusted.
Old 2012-01-08, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
MilitantBob
Private

I personally love iron sights. I think it is because I'm a bit of a gun nut... err... enthusiast in real life. Iron sights, to me, do a better job of selling a fire fight. In the real world you don't see soldiers/cops/criminals jumping around while keeping the trigger held back, and for good reason. They wouldn't hit anything! Not even with shotguns, which, by the way, do not fire massive cones of lead as they are often depicted in video games. (For those interested: the shot pattern starts out as an mass of pellets a little less than an inch in diameter and spreads about an inch per meter, on average of course.)

But then again, real life has about as much to do with video games as videos games have to do with real life. Not a whole lot.

Beyond realism I like them because they make games feel more tactical and less twitch based. I believe there is a place for both styles but I think a massive war simulator would do better with a more strategic approach. I'd rather not enter a courtyard brawl just to see a bunch of soldiers hopping and bobbing around one another hosing down the walls. I'd rather see the defenders peeking out from behind emplacements, firing off controlled bursts at the encroaching enemy while the attackers leap frog their way in, covering one another's approach with suppressing fire.

But thats just me. Either way I trust the devs will take care of things and make the game awesome. With our help of course...
Old 2012-01-08, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

This is one of the few games that has pulled having no iron sights off exceptionally well.

Also iron sights give you a accuracy advantage, but they should also come with a speed penalty, they should only be used when you have the time to use them. This makes tactical movements necessary. And if you don't have time - you shoot from the hip, which will give you a (lets say) 78% chance of hitting something, and that will decrease with kickback.

And cone of fir should always start quite accurate then work its way to being less over time/bullets. Thus making people use smaller bursts of fire (like in real life)

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-01-08 at 03:23 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion