Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ew! Get it away from me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-08, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
Sifer2
Major

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
This is one of the few games that has pulled having no iron sights off exceptionally well.

Aliens vs. Predator 2 Team Deathmatch - YouTube

Also iron sights give you a accuracy advantage, but they should also come with a speed penalty, they should only be used when you have the time to use them. This makes tactical movements necessary. And if you don't have time - you shoot from the hip, which will give you a (lets say) 78% chance of hitting something, and that will decrease with kickback.

And cone of fir should always start quite accurate then work its way to being less over time/bullets. Thus making people use smaller bursts of fire (like in real life)

Good old AvP2. One of my favorite shooters of all time that one. Such a damn shame the third one ended up being a bad console port. There was a game where not needing to go into Ironsights to fire your Pulse Rifle was a god damn godsend. Since other wise a super fast alien would pounce you an rip your face off in a heartbeat. Your average COD soldier wouldn't last 5 seconds in a match of AvP2

An to the people that responded to me above saying its to help deal with latency. Yeah I already said that. In a lot of ways its probably the replacement to the accuracy cone of PS1. Though at least the cone didn't hassle me with needing to press another button before I could shoot. Just so I could pretend i'm really there I guess? lol

I agree with the dude that said if were going for immersion I would pick Vehicle entry animations before Ironsights. But ultimately the lack of the former an inclusion of the latter wont stop me from playing and enjoying the game.
Old 2012-01-08, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
SKYeXile
Major General

Bring the game to a crawl, helps with latency....

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-08, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Well...Iron sights are really only useful from 100-250 meters away and is subpar to other methods of aiming down a range.

In a future where I wear epic body armor and fight over territory in a distant galaxy...I think Iron sights are just stupid.

Welcome to the year 9746, now let's spend 3 days on the firing range getting your iron sights adjusted.
Those are the ranges I'd want to see iron sites used at more often. I don't get why a lot of games force you to be so inaccurate at close range without sites.

As for the futuristic setting, yeah it's pretty silly. But meh, unless they go balls out and give us cameras on every gun that we can use to shoot more accurately with, I'm okay with the old school style.

Just having ironsites to slow down gameplay for latency reasons sounds like a terrible idea though. There will always be high speed close quarters shotgun combat happening, so I want good netcode to handle it.

I just want to see iron sites used as a viable, tactical choice. Not as a mandatory "you must press this before firing or you will never hit anything!" button.
Old 2012-01-08, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
In a future where I wear epic body armor and fight over territory in a distant galaxy...I think Iron sights are just stupid.
What???

In a futuristic setting we wouldn't even need people let alone iron sights to fight wars.
Old 2012-01-08, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

I Like iron sights and I Do think they should be in PS2, what gets me about everyone's argument comparing PS2 to Quake and Unreal and whatever other Small arena type map game is just that. the maps are small so theres no need for a decent sight get players 100m away i bet you wish you had an iron sight then bitches.

What I dont think should be done is add a HIGH accuracy bonus for using them so if you wanna Spray at 20m your still gonna land quite bit of your shots. its vary difficult to get these things balanced but not imposable.

Last edited by Bruttal; 2012-01-08 at 06:23 AM.
Old 2012-01-08, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Hamma
PSU Admin

As someone who enjoys shooting outside of video games I think (for me) that Iron Sights (red dots, etc) add more to the mechanics of the game. It adds an additional level of accuracy for people who want to take the time to do so.

I think the days of quake and doom with just a big crosshair are long gone the technology and mechanics exist now for much deeper shooting mechanics into games and I think PlanetSide 2 should benefit from that.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-01-08, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I just want to see iron sites used as a viable, tactical choice. Not as a mandatory "you must press this before firing or you will never hit anything!" button.
^^^^
I'd rather iron sights be used for medium range shots, but still have the "fire-from-the-hip" style of PS as an option for close range.
Old 2012-01-08, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I have done a lot of thinking on this and to be honest this is how I would really like see it setup. I am all for Iron sight but only to a certain extent.

I would love to see it setup as if you are 100 to 300 yards away from the target iron sights are a must if you want to be accurate and on target. Of course this varies depending on bullet drop. “I believe I read somewhere that bullet drop was in game”. You can still fire from the hip but you’re only going to hit your target about 60 to 65% of the time at those ranges. Compared to if you are using Iron sights you are only as accurate as your aim/range from the target.

Now when we move into the base this is where hip firing is a must due to how close you can be to the enemy. You can still use Iron sights and be accurate but its not needed. Anything under that 100 yard range depending on how close you are to the target increases your accuracy. So if I am 50 yards away from my target and I am firing from the hip I am hitting about 90 to 100% of the time. Once again this depends on if I am running and so on.

I would say refer back to how they have it setup in PS1 now for ranges under 100 yards.
Anyways, this is how I would like to see it setup.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-01-08, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
XPquant
Sergeant

Iron sights are already in the game. What is the point of this conversation?
Old 2012-01-08, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
Redshift
Major

I'm more than happy for iron sights for 100 meter ranges (i'd rather a scope, but meh). What i don't want to see is people being forced to iron sight to shoot the other side of a room
Old 2012-01-08, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by XPquant View Post
Iron sights are already in the game. What is the point of this conversation?
because higby asked on twitter for opinions, read before you flame
Old 2012-01-08, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know, maybe it had something to do with the title of the thread and everybody being excited about PS2 maybe??

Old 2012-01-08, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
acosmo
Sergeant Major

ellude, the whole robots thing is silly. empires will always be sacrificing their cheap bodies instead of their expensive toys in war.

also sifer2, you do not NEED to use ironsights in PS2, but they are available if you need to get a difficult shot off.
Old 2012-01-08, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
ellude, the whole robots thing is silly. empires will always be sacrificing their cheap bodies instead of their expensive toys in war.
Right because robots will always be expensive..... Shit will be so easily produced in the future that it'll be completely ass backwards in which costs more, the drone or the meat bag?

Money is the least of the problems, a self replicating machine in the future doesn't need money for it's labor or even for its resources, after all space is littered with an infinite amount of such.

The closest thing you're going to get to men fighting in wars in the distant future is a civil war within a nation.
Old 2012-01-08, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Johari
Staff Sergeant

As long as they help with medium to long range engagements where accuracy is needed and not as a "must use or you'll miss every shot" button like previously described, then I have no problem with the iron sights/red dot. Just let me fire from the hip in CQC and know that my shots won't be flying everywhere.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion