[Chainfall Original] Air Cruisers: Next - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: whats a Johari?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-03-23, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: [Chainfall Original] Air Cruisers: Next

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Ok, stripped the vehicle spawns off my cruiser, and added more weapon hard points to it.

Playing with a renderer for sketchup:

Very nice, is it angular like that intentionally or is that more or less just a concept draft?

Originally Posted by Azellon View Post
Damn, had I known you were actively hostile to anyone tampering with your crap I would've stayed out of the thread.
I'm actively hostile to people who repeat things incessantly.

But it is just that: crap. Your idea alone is not worthwhile.
You are not qualified to make that assertion.

Adding more to the idea would make it a wonderful concept.
I agree, I just don't agree with flying BFRs spitting out infantry farmers endlessly.

As it stands it's half-assed and worthless.

If it doesn't interact with the ground game at all, it is a different game and belongs in a different game.
It does interact with the ground game you lethargic twit. It just doesn't dominate it. But you go ahead and ramble on some more about how you want a flying killwhore factory.

If you want naval battles go play Battleship.
If you want infantry battles, go play Chess.

Outfit-only spawning? Cool story bro, way to miss the point of PS. The very reason why AMSes aren't capable of going outfit-only is so pricks like you don't make them outfit-only.
If my outfit spent the points it had to earn to get an AC, you will be damned sure I don't want the rank and file zergers on it. Friendly Fire sabotage ring any bells? Outfits are glorified chat rooms and floating titles. Period. This gives them something specific to aim for.

But have fun fapping to your own garbage.
I must have hit a nerve. Go blow your puerile word jizz elsewhere.

I gave you plenty of chances to get the fuck out civilly, but you had to go ahead and insist on shitting in this thread with your half baked and completely inconsiderate (as far as the game itself is concerned) ideas. So don't let your ego convince you to keep squatting when there are boots being rammed up your ass.

Old 2011-03-24, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Very nice, is it angular like that intentionally or is that more or less just a concept draft?
I'm a noob when it comes to modelling, I would prefer it smoother but I just cant be bothered to redo most of it to make it smoother. Sketchup has a function to smooth it out however which does an ok job, but the hard angles would still need me to go around and alter.

I am busy making a destroyer atm (step down from the cruiser), trying to use the Gal as a guide for the smaller ships (even though the destroyer will be 5 times bigger).
Old 2011-03-26, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Take a look at the latest Addendums in the OP, I hope they will paint more of a picture of what I envision.

Old 2011-03-26, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, I've had a brief skim through the changes, and I do like the depth you are adding to the system however I worry that you are making them too complex to manage.

Ill post detailed thoughts later, been busy working on my destroyer model all morning and need to take a break.

Obviously I used the Galaxy as my main reference point, just bulked it out significantly.
  • Crew of 10
  • Pilot
  • 4 heavy weapons
  • 5 medium weapons

Access point on the back so people can potentially hot drop onto the roof, drop onto the platform, hack their way inside and kill the crew. However there would be space inside for at least a squad to use the thing as transport.

Last edited by DviddLeff; 2011-03-26 at 06:18 AM.
Old 2011-03-26, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I have a better idea than starting a balance war between air cruisers and the ground game. Allow infiltration, but only from actual infiltrators. Not just mossie hotdroppers. Only a cloaked Phantasm would get through the defense shield (assuming there is one). Mere hotdroppers would just be vaporized by the shield.
Haha, that won me, right there.
Old 2011-03-26, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
wrote it at early O'clock without enough caffine in my system
This is completely off topic, but, the fact that coffee comes with caffeine is part of what makes coffee so attractive.

The fact that caffeine comes with coffee is also part of what makes caffeine attractive.

I think this is a great idea, as it adds even more to the game that isn't point, shoot, die, and stare mindlessly cross-eyed into space while drooling.

Some guys actually do like to think, plan, manage, and engage in teamwork.
Old 2011-03-27, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
TRex
First Sergeant

The original OP topic struck me as 'caves' in the 'sky /naval' - a separate mini- fight that dosen't directly interfere with the on going ground fight but that in some way is useful to the overall game. I can't help but wonder why remove Core Combat and BFR's to replace them with something equally as distractive .

I'd much rather have something like this as an entire zone in its own right with pre-build game mechanics like the battle islands do now.
Old 2011-03-27, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
The original OP topic struck me as 'caves' in the 'sky /naval' - a separate mini- fight that dosen't directly interfere with the on going ground fight but that in some way is useful to the overall game.
I suppose it might have an effect like that, but air superiority as well as outfits having dedicated exclusive spawns will vastly impact the strategic ground game and have a lessor effect on the tactical ground game

I can't help but wonder why remove Core Combat and BFR's to replace them with something equally as distractive .
CC took people away from the fight entirely. BFRs dominated the fight entirely. Air Cruisers as proposed does neither.

I'd much rather have something like this as an entire zone in its own right with pre-build game mechanics like the battle islands do now.
Except that the entire concept behind that is one that players dont like generally. BIs were never popular in PS and CC less so. So it stands to reason that PSN players won't be different.

Old 2011-07-12, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Now the PS2 is not just pocket hockey, I'd like to reignite the flames.

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

For starters I think before something is added to the game it needs to have a clear purpose. "Because its cool" isn't sufficient purpose. BFRs were "cool" and they had a terrible impact on the game.

That said, I think this idea does have promise in a certain context, namely that of game pacing.

My take on these ships is basically that of BF2142's Titans. Even though in BF2142 the goal of titan combat was to take out the enemy titan they had some important functions that could be useful in PS2, namely the drop-pods and mobile spawn point w/ artillery and airpad support.

Main concern with these would be that I think combat would end up revolving around them due to the fact that you would have to destroy one to stop an assault. Either they'd be so powerful they dominated the front they were on, or so weak that they were too easily destroyed.

I think due to a lack of a clear role they'd end up having the same impact of BFRs - too powerful and impactful to the game and would lead to stagnating the fights and rendering other vehicles far less relevant.

It needs a well defined role. None comes to mind that wouldn't create a significant impact to the typical planetside gameplay.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Elude
First Sergeant

If said cruisers would be destroyed, how exactly would it be done? Unless it's just a vanishing mesh followed by a spectacular fireball I cant imagine it blowing up into a million laggy pieces raining down onto players.

Also, aren't galaxies already mobile minuter bases now in PlanetSide 2? They have guns on them, allow you to spawn inside, and I'm sure you will be able to choose your loadout ect while spawning inside.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Here is my idea on how it could work.

yes with a outfit only. BUT with the new so called "resources" it could be like a BF2142 Titan.

It would have a high powered shield. need to land at friendly bases to refuel NTU/fuel AND be destroyable.

it can have guns but they will be exposed outside the shield in order to shoot, so the enemy can hit those guns to disable them and cause the ship to have to repair them at a friendly base.

It will give a full feeling of winning over the enemy empire by destroying one of their outfits "Titans/airships"

they DID say outfits would have a use for resources and need to manage them smartly somewhere.

so they couldn't spam Titans as they could cost a buttload of resources. They would need to buy a new one if they let the old one die.

repairs and fuel could cost some resources as well but a lot less then buying a new one for a "upkeep"

A 2+ day timer to buying a new Titan after your old one gets kills would also be nice.

I actually think it would be so bad ass to use teamwork to kill something like that of the enemies. The feeling of "Hell yes! that's a big blow to that empires fighting power!" and the knowing that that outfit won't be able to use a Titan for a while. making that empire just that much weaker and helping to turn the battle in your favor by that much.

also the ability for enemies to board your Titan and try to take it out for the inside... mmmmmmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
If said cruisers would be destroyed
BF2142's Titan exploded well and the slow dooming of the ship gave you a feeling like you really just did that.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2011-07-12 at 10:46 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Right but I think that's part of the problem. For these things to be worthwhile they'd have to project a significant power over the territory they are flying over. That means the conflict shifts from the territory to the cruiser. As the game expands it becomes less about resources and more aobut pummeling the enemy's cruisers to keep them from steamrolling with several of them together. Also if these things are that powerful they could be too powerful for an enemy that's beat down and back to their uncaps from recovering. That's the same sort of problem BFRs created - big things that were hard to destroy that stagnated battles and led to nothing really getting blown up.

I'm pretty sure we want a fluid game where territory can change hands fairl quickly and the combat revolves around infantry and tanks, not the big floating bases.

The more I think about it, the less I like it. Bigger BFRs with even more impact on the game....no thanks.
Old 2011-07-12, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

If you read anything other than the title, you would already know that the intention is to not allow these to directly engage in the ground battle. They are intended to be outfit bases and status symbols that also happen to be able to destroy each other.

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

That's actually worse because it's then a side-game within planetside and not part of driving conflict or fighting over resources. You may as well put them in an instance and make it a 40 v 40 outfit war for bragging rights.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion