Resources and being Eve "like" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Believe it or not, there are GUNS in this game!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-13, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
nathanebht
Sergeant

Resources and being Eve "like"

In PS2 we will capture territory to gather resources. Use these resources to improve our vehicles and other stuff. There will be different types of resources.

In Eve, resources are harvested and become a physical inventory item. PS2 won't have personal inventories on your character. Also haven't seen any mention of a currency.

So are we going to be able to raid an enemy base and steal some shipping containers full of a rare resource? Or take a mission to blow up some volatile barrels stored at a storage depot?

This would add a lot to Planetside. PS1 was endless territory capture and defense. PS2 will have in addition capture and defense of stockpiled and in transit resources? Need more information!

Last edited by nathanebht; 2011-07-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 2011-07-13, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
xcel
Corporal

Re: Resources and being Eve "like"

Higby said at the community address that the resources aren't going to be physical.
Old 2011-07-13, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rabb
Contributor
Sergeant

Sounded to me like they would work more like a currency
Old 2011-07-13, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
nathanebht
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Sounded to me like they would work more like a currency
I really hope this isn't the case. They could be thinking of Global Agenda's territory/resource/manufacture approach. Which would suck.

PS2 could be so much more if collected resources were a physical item in the game.
Old 2011-07-13, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
xcel
Corporal

I disagree
Old 2011-07-13, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by nathanebht View Post
In PS2 we will capture territory to gather resources. Use these resources to improve our vehicles and other stuff. There will be different types of resources.

In Eve, resources are harvested and become a physical inventory item. PS2 won't have personal inventories on your character. Also haven't seen any mention of a currency.

So are we going to be able to raid an enemy base and steal some shipping containers full of a rare resource? Or take a mission to blow up some volatile barrels stored at a storage depot?

This would add a lot to Planetside. PS1 was endless territory capture and defense. PS2 will have in addition capture and defense of stockpiled and in transit resources? Need more information!

IF PS2 had a player base big enough to support all kinds of missions to emulate real world duties... that would be awesome!... that being said... IF.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-13, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I expect it'll work like this:

* each hex has a resource associated with it that will randomly change over time (so a valuable hex today might not be valuable at all tomorrow)
* the resource will vary in type and may vary in abundance as well
* the empire that controls the hex gets a set income over time
* capturing the hex might provide an initial bonus set of resources to those involved in the capture (the spoils of war)

There's lots of things they can do with this. they could have the resources increase in yield over time the longer an empire holds the hex and other such things.

Details aren't entirely known but from what they tell us the above seems reasonable. I did hear them say in that 30 minute video that resources will despawn and move around, and that they will have differing value and rarity. That's a really good thing and keeps the game fresh.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-13, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Regarding resource harvesting... I'm not a fan of going out and doing something to get the resources, but I do think it could be interesting if ANTs were used as transport for valuable resources.

The idea I have in my head is that you don't require an ANT to harvest a resource, but you could do an ANT run every so often that significantly boosts the yield. That might add some sort of resource denial and guerrilla warfare options, but I can't imagine people sitting around waiting for an ANT to drive by or aircraft wandering about looking for space-trucks. Might be a bit too RTS/RPG like to be practical, but it's a thought. They could go there and ther emight be ways to make it work.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Volw
First Sergeant

There are Nanite containers on the trailer, so the mining outposts might require power to operate, which has to be delivered by ANTs (or simply increase effectiveness of the yield).
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-13, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

True, but they could also be your typical standard FPS crates used for cover. They could have a label for flavor.
Old 2011-07-13, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
nathanebht
Sergeant

After listening to today's G4 PlanetSide 2 Public Panel Video, it sounds like resources will simply provide some added vehicles or vehicle features to use.

Don't know why they mentioned Eve as an inspiration for PS2. Its not sounding anything like Eve except in the way skills train.
Old 2011-07-13, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by nathanebht View Post
Don't know why they mentioned Eve as an inspiration for PS2. Its not sounding anything like Eve except in the way skills train.
Aside from the skill system they have talked about continual improvement/expansion that may take the EVE/CCP model instead of the buy an expansion ever so many months model.

They also said something about doing to opposite of EVE/DUST, starting on the ground with action, then moving to space.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

What I wouldn't give for a Freespace 2 style space combat element. Just imagine if this were happening in the skies above Oshur:

Old 2011-07-16, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
What I wouldn't give for a Freespace 2 style space combat element. Just imagine if this were happening in the skies above Oshur:

‪Blue Planet - without post processing‬‏ - YouTube

Ah, Freespace, one of the, if not the most AWESOME space combat sim(s) out there I still have all my disks around here
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion