Storyline: Geographical Names - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: you can't handle eMa's jelly.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-16, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Valdae
Sergeant

Re: Geographical Names

Well, what's the best way of pushing this idea to the developers? I presume we would have to have an exclusive look at the continents long before the game's release, and I think that could prove difficult. Would still be an excellent idea though.

EDIT: Unless they could provide us with a list of locations, the theme for that continent, and perhaps a description of its most distinguishing features..?

Last edited by Valdae; 2011-07-16 at 08:59 PM.
Old 2011-07-16, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

They are reading this forum
Old 2011-07-16, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

I really hope they go with themes again. I loved having a bunch of bases on a cont with the same naming scheme.
Old 2011-07-16, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Valdae
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
They are reading this forum
I heard Smed I think saying he checks PSU, but I hope they check this thread as it seems everyones for it!
Old 2011-07-16, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hamma
PSU Admin

Many devs are reading here also even though only Higby is posting at the moment.
Old 2011-07-16, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I really hope they go with themes again. I loved having a bunch of bases on a cont with the same naming scheme.
I do too bags! I think keeping to this theme would be awesome on specific continents, but make them apply to mountains, rivers, valleys, oceans... its hard to get into too much detail, but if there is any reason for the dev's to consider full out maps as one of the near future data releases - this is one
good reason .

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2011-07-16 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2011-07-16, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Valdae
Sergeant

I think after all the hard work for PSU, there should be a Mount St. Hamma :P
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Geographical naming would be best in conjunction with the theme.

For example, a river by Helheim on Esamir might be named "Gjoll" after a river in the mythology. The mythology also had a bridge named after the river as well.

If we're going for themes and immersion we may as well go balls deep
Old 2011-07-17, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
I'd much more prefer 8 digit grid reference, but this sounds good as well. Preferably both.
PS1 had a good grid system but the area one grid covered was to large. Having that grid cut up in 9 sub sections would be a welcome sight.
Old 2011-07-17, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Drentz
Private

Definitely like this idea. Combining specific geographic locations with a grid system only adds to the gameplay. And I completely agree with Malorn's idea that if its going to be done, I think it would be great to have each continent's feature's names match the overall theme. Even if its not extreme, like on Solsar instead of having Egyptian names, something like "Oasis of the Sun" would be just as fitting imo.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Jimmuc
Corporal

i love the idea of geographical locations but instead of the devs making up the names, how about they let us players make them up as we play. then we vote for which one(s) we like for said area. dunno really, just pitching an idea so roll with it if ya want.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Traak
Colonel

Cyssor: I always just called it "Mount Cyssor"

Hossin: I called whatever forest we were near "Sherwood Forest" or "Burnham Wood"

But, real place names would make it more likely to have actual activity center there more often. "The _________ empire is massing at the Glornwh00t Gap! Fly stealthily up the Nanu Nanu Canyon and pop over it and strafe them to bits!

Sounds way better than "The _________ are massing at grid e17 (which most people had turned off anyway, so they wouldn't know if it was across the map or right behind them) so let's counter-attack."

Yeah, more place names. And maps that are more Google-Earthish in that we can close up, rotate, see them in 3D and plan moves accordingly.
Old 2011-07-18, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Cyssor: I always just called it "Mount Cyssor"

Hossin: I called whatever forest we were near "Sherwood Forest" or "Burnham Wood"

But, real place names would make it more likely to have actual activity center there more often. "The _________ empire is massing at the Glornwh00t Gap! Fly stealthily up the Nanu Nanu Canyon and pop over it and strafe them to bits!

Sounds way better than "The _________ are massing at grid e17 (which most people had turned off anyway, so they wouldn't know if it was across the map or right behind them) so let's counter-attack."

Yeah, more place names. And maps that are more Google-Earthish in that we can close up, rotate, see them in 3D and plan moves accordingly.
Pretty much exactly the way I envisioned it as well, though the Google Earth thing may be asking for a little much. Even just keeping it to named features could produce more effective communication and even promote teamwork through better positioning and more specific troop movements. What better way to support and help those who have chosen to pursue the leadership trees to feel like Patton, Washington, or Rommel in spirit than to allow them to say things like "Cut those Prowlers off before they reach the Borlis Pass, the Vanguards will roll up and trap them from behind in the Carter's Canyon, and then the Reavers will come over Mount Cyssor under cloud cover and smoke'm while they're trapped!"

I can feel the epic-ness already - C'mon Devs, we know you're reading this! Give us a sign!

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2011-07-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
I think after all the hard work for PSU, there should be a Mount St. Hamma :P
Hamma Peaks would be cool too. Perhaps a double rock column uniquely shaped like two hammers.
Old 2011-07-18, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Traak
Colonel

River Styx, as someone mentioned, would be great. Amazing some of the ghetto-poor places that have their names in PS now.

Some total wasteland town in Africa is what one of the conts or bases is named after, trying to remember where I saw that on Youtube 'r whatever.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault