News: Sony Online Announces SOE Live. Will you attend? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Drinking your chocolate milk since 2003!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-26, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Re: Sony Online Announces SOE Live. Will you attend?

Originally Posted by Synapses View Post
You've been to Blizzcon and think the SOE Live will be better Radar? Be honest with me on this, because I love blizzcon and if you honestly think the SOE Live will be better I really will be there.
I'm not going to crack on a competing company. I love some of their products but there BlizzCon is more about showing off what they are doing. SOE Live is about the community and putting them in touch with the Dev teams.

Would it make it easier for you if I reminded you there was no BlizzCon this year?
Old 2012-03-26, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
I'm not going to crack on a competing company. I love some of their products but there BlizzCon is more about showing off what they are doing. SOE Live is about the community and putting them in touch with the Dev teams.

Would it make it easier for you if I reminded you there was no BlizzCon this year?
Lol I suppose, but still =P If you think its worth it to really go from a PS2 stand point, ill be there.. Just wish I could get that Vibrosword for attending again. =P
Old 2012-03-26, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
I've been to almost every major gaming show done in the US and have done Fan Faire at least 6 times (3 as an employee). This is hands down one of the best shows I've been to. Why? Glad you asked!
  • Smaller - Realistically only a few thousand people can attend the event. This provides a more intimate setting where you aren't washed away in a sea of people and poor hygiene (thanks Comic Con).
  • More Developers - A large portion of our company goes to the show. While many of them are there for panels and to support other initiatives one of their big goals is to hang out and talk with players about the game. It's hard to understand until you've had that moment where you sit down with a game designer or programmer and find out they are just normal people with a cool job.
  • Full Schedule - Most shows run like 10-5 and send you on your merry for the evening. This show runs events for the entire time including a large suite of gaming machines we make available if you want to play your favorite SOE game.
  • It's Vegas - Seriously. Do you need an excuse to hit Vegas? If so, this is a good one.
  • History - This show has been going for nearly a decade and there are folks from all over the country who come every single year. For some this is the only time they see their virtual friends in real life. It's a lot of fun for us to watch as an employee.

The details still aren't finalized on format and what will be available but this is a big year for PS2 and I can guarantee some cool things will be there including the Dev team.
I am going to have to partially disagree on this one. I stopped going to Fan Faire because it became a sad state of a show as SOE floundered horrible from epic failure to moderate failure one title after the other. Between the years of the end for Everquest and the build up for SWG and subsequent epic flame out to the start of Everquest II, SOE tried very hard to engage its fan base and keep the players that were in exudes to Blizzard at the time.

There are plenty of things SOE has done and continue to do well in its yearly fan engagement, and Radar-X actually outlines some of them. One of the core advatages of a FF is that its only one Publishing house and you get more time with some of your developers then you do at other shows. The drawback being is that there isn't anyone at the show besides SOE and whatever panels they have put together. Personally I have interests beyond what SOE has to offer and what has been in SOE's stable the last 5 years has not been very inspiring.

When it comes to offerings from a variety of development and publishing houses, actual fan engagement beyond some cursory 10 minuet expo, my money is on PaxPrime every year after year.

Vegas is a pit. I don't need to go to the middle of the desert to drink like a fish and act like a fool. The only real value it provides is that it allows you to do these things 24 hours a day, which isn't always true in most places of the world.

Last edited by Tasorin; 2012-03-26 at 04:55 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-26, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Tasorin View Post
I am going to have to partially disagree on this one. I stopped going to Fan Faire because it became a sad state of a show as SOE floundered horrible from epic failure to moderate failure one title after the other. Between the years of the end for Everquest and the build up for SWG and subsequent epic flame out to the start of Everquest II, SOE tried very hard to engage its fan base and keep the players that were in exudes to Blizzard at the time.

There are plenty of things SOE has done and continue to do well in its yearly fan engagement, and Radar-X actually outlines some of them. One of the core advatages of a FF is that its only one Publishing house and you get more time with some of your developers then you do at other shows. The drawback being is that there isn't anyone at the show besides SOE and whatever panels they have put together. Personally I have interests beyond what SOE has to offer and what has been in SOE's stable the last 5 years has not been very inspiring.

When it comes to offerings from a variety of development and publishing houses, actual fan engagement beyond some cursory 10 minuet expo, my money is on PaxPrime every year after year.

Vegas is a pit. I don't need to go to the middle of the desert to drink like a fish and act like a fool. The only real value it provides is that it allows you to do these things 24 hours a day, which isn't always true in most places of the world.
I can't argue Pax is a great show as is E3. If you want to wander around 50,000+ people and see hundreds of games? These are the places to be. If I were honest though, they aren't in the same class of show. What you are describing are huge commercial ventures which corporations (including ours) spend tons of money advertising their games in.

The core of SOE Live is designing an event for players.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Will i be going to this? Sure, if someone pays the ticket, hotel, food, red bull and h**k**s.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Will i be going to this? Sure, if someone pays the ticket, hotel, food, red bull and h**k**s.
I didn't know you smoked hookahs.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-26, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bazilx
First Sergeant

I really wish Europe could take part of any of these cool things SOE does for the community... Atleast I get to read about them. It's a good thing Europe accepts that all developers consider us a secondary market.

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-03-26 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I didn't know you smoked hookahs.
Why is that the first thing I thought of too?

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-03-26, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm sure he meant "Hotkars" written the german way ?
:P
Old 2012-03-26, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hamma
PSU Admin

Last year I met a dude that flew in from Ireland.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-26, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

What a coincidence, that is the exact range of dates when my wife and I will be in Vegas.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hezzy
Contributor
General

Nice to see that Planetside is going to get more than a casual mention. I remember at the last "Fan Faire" the majority of people didn't even know what it was.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think Verant was the betterest name.

Old 2012-03-26, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I would love to come, i'll see if i can gee up some Aussie PS players for a holiday in Vegas

Will definitely be much easier if we've been playing PS2 beta for 5 months!

Originally Posted by Synapses View Post
I know ill be really tired from the flight though, flying choppers is a very strenuous task, and I am on instrument training now... So ill be literally flying blind the entire time off my helicopter instruments.
Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Just land in the middle of the whole thing, instantly become the coolest guy there.
I can see the headlines now...

"Entire Sony Planetside 2 dev team, minced by fatigued student helicopter pilot at SOE Live conference ins Vegas"

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-03-26, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Hezzy View Post
Nice to see that Planetside is going to get more than a casual mention. I remember at the last "Fan Faire" the majority of people didn't even know what it was.
Sad but so true

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion