MAX vs. HA - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Quote THIS!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-14, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Mongo
Corporal

Re: MAX vs. HA

Only thing I will say is that concerning is the global chat seen in streams gives us non testers a little insight into issues that testers are worried about namely that MAX's appear to be a problem.

It's beta so things will change but I can see this being a difficult issue to balance given that it's a touted class and you have a cert tree which lets you fine tune your characters - Why fine tune something that your limited in being allowed to play at a basic level (ie a whole player class).

IF there is an issue: which alot of people seem to be now saying their isnt (without breaking nda themselves or falling into the same bracket as not knowing wtf they are talking about either) I can possibly see it being hard to balance the Max 1v1 vs other classes and if it is superior then it's a no brainer and you can see why they may have a problem with Max numbers. As the core mechanic of the game is killing each other all the other stuff mentioned is fluff and side options.
We are now openly recruiting all roles. Visit our recruitment spam here.
Old 2012-08-14, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Renegadeknight
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Only thing I will say is that concerning is the global chat seen in streams gives us non testers a little insight into issues that testers are worried about namely that MAX's appear to be a problem.

It's beta so things will change but I can see this being a difficult issue to balance given that it's a touted class and you have a cert tree which lets you fine tune your characters - Why fine tune something that your limited in being allowed to play at a basic level (ie a whole player class).

IF there is an issue: which alot of people seem to be now saying their isnt (without breaking nda themselves or falling into the same bracket as not knowing wtf they are talking about either) I can possibly see it being hard to balance the Max 1v1 vs other classes and if it is superior then it's a no brainer and you can see why they may have a problem with Max numbers. As the core mechanic of the game is killing each other all the other stuff mentioned is fluff and side options.
The core mechanic is taking bases, this isn't a death match. Killing people is just a means to an end. Also you guys do realize what kind of garbage global chat can become. It's beta so it may not be bad at all, but I still wouldn't take anything said in it to heart.
Old 2012-08-14, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Mongo
Corporal

Core mechanic is PvP mate, everything is like I said fluff and methods to enhance this, If the core mechanic was taking bases then that would be the only place people would fight, bases or whatever enhance the mechanic of the killing of each other

I agree that everything in beta or what you hear about beta should be taken with a pinch of salt, but this is a discussion board and not a twitter or news feed like some seem to think, we need to talk about something relating to it!
We are now openly recruiting all roles. Visit our recruitment spam here.
Old 2012-08-14, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

They are called MAXs for a reason.

Ever hear of a decimator?
Ever hear of AV?
Phoenix launchers that can fire around multiple corners to kill MAXs..
Fire and forget Strikers..
Whatever the damn VS AV sniper weapon is that kills MAXs ridiculously fast..

Yeah, I don't know how many of these weapons are in the game but the devs know what's up.

MAX units are a legitimate full-time playstyle with obvious weaknesses.
Because of the cool factor, they may be flavour of the month so you may die to a few more than usual - but it'll pass once people get frustrated with the limitations.

Either learn your AV or shaddap.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2012-08-14 at 07:14 AM.
Old 2012-08-14, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Scotsh
Sergeant

It seems to me that the OP started a discussion about MAXes in the current build of the beta.
Thats kinda pointless, because people that do know about that are not free to post their opinion (NDA)
And people not in beta apply the perspective of PS1, which is really not useful, because even in the official released videos it's obvious that there are core differences between both games.
Old 2012-08-14, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Timujingeo
Private

Max's were never a problem in PS1 unless you had two locked down either side of the control console being healed by a couple of medics.
But then that's what thumper plasma bounced in the doors is there for...
Outdoors or indoors Max's were pretty much boomer fodder for a good engie stealther.
Old 2012-08-14, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Harasus
Sergeant

I have not read a lot, but the MAX is probably restricted to once every few minutes, and it will probably cost resources.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Renegadeknight
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Core mechanic is PvP mate, everything is like I said fluff and methods to enhance this, If the core mechanic was taking bases then that would be the only place people would fight, bases or whatever enhance the mechanic of the killing of each other

I agree that everything in beta or what you hear about beta should be taken with a pinch of salt, but this is a discussion board and not a twitter or news feed like some seem to think, we need to talk about something relating to it!
Well I actually meant territory, bit of a slip of the tongue. What I'm trying to say is at the end of the day how much of your color controls the map is more important than k/d(atleast in the overall team aspect since some people will obvious be more concerned with their own stats than their empires success.) Also I do agree that discussing such things is good, but some people come off as if they can say things with absolute certainty. Most of us haven't even seen the maxs personally and are already saying they are op and need to be fixed.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Pyreal
First Sergeant

MAXs are cool and unique, and you don't see them in FPSs. Please don't cry and whine and have them nerfed somehow.

If a player wants to play in a MAX and has a good time, let 'em be!

Don't make this game more like your average "Modern Shooter" by diminishing MAX units.

Last edited by Pyreal; 2012-08-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 2012-08-14, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Boone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
MAXs are cool and unique, and you don't see them in FPSs. Please don't cry and whine and have them nerfed somehow.

If a player wants to play in a MAX and has a good time, let 'em be!

Don't make this game more like your average "Modern Shooter" by diminishing MAX units.
I don't think people really care how tough they are..I think most just want a timer or some sort to spawn them so we don't see 100 of them drop pod in, because that's just dumb.
Old 2012-08-14, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Boone View Post
I don't think people really care how tough they are..I think most just want a timer or some sort to spawn them so we don't see 100 of them drop pod in, because that's just dumb.
I now feel compelled to organize a 100 max drop. You will rue the day you posted this!!!
Old 2012-08-14, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Harasus
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
Yeah, let us implement invincible aliens too! They are cool and unique, and you do not see them in FPSs. Please do not cry and whine and have them nerfed somehow, for heaven forbid, you might do something other FPS games have!

Essentially. Although, outfits will always organise and save their daily (or something) MAX for a big coordinated attack.
Old 2012-08-14, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Lord Paladin
Corporal

I imagine a lot of the people who "bought" their way into the beta just haven't figured out that you don't just run and gun down a MAX. They're tough, but once you figure out the proper tactics for killing them, they're really only mean if you're trying to run up a hill by yourself and it's sitting at the top firing down at you.

So yes, MAXes would be like storming the beaches at Normandy, but thankfully we have other avenues to kill them. I mean, you can literally run circles around them and they could never hit you. A few good rocket shots from an HA and it's just another spot on the road. Plus you see an AV lightning come in and it's gonna kill that nice little group of MAXs that decided to go AA/AV combo to be versatile. Or a reaver/mossie/scythe is gonna do a fly-by and rocket the lot of them while the HA's pop their shields and take cover.

PLUS, you're really gonna hate a MAX when you have to spawn at that galaxy at the bottom of the ravine and run for 5 minutes just to rejoin the fight.
Old 2012-08-14, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Wow. Yanno boone if you slapped a 5 hour timer on them, that wouldn't stop the scenario you don't want to see...

That is how stupid the timer suggestion is.

MAX suits are fine. They do their job effectively and are probably the only things that can actually move infantry combat. In fact I like these MAX suits far better then the PS1 MAX suits. These ones actually look and feel like walking tanks.

Disclaimer: No I'm not in beta. The above statement was made after watching the beta streams. Yes I think anyone who isn't blind could come to the same conclusion. Yes I think most people really are blind with bias.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-08-14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 2012-08-14, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Renegadeknight View Post
The core mechanic is taking bases, this isn't a death match. Killing people is just a means to an end. Also you guys do realize what kind of garbage global chat can become. It's beta so it may not be bad at all, but I still wouldn't take anything said in it to heart.
This shit right here. MAX's only offer support through killing. Very limited role IMO.

Judging a game by its global chat is like judging a movie by the mouth-breathing neckbeards in its autograph line at comicon.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion