MAX vs. HA - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: dude, that thing got a hemi?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-13, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Comet
First Sergeant

MAX vs. HA

Why would you spawn as heavy assault over just taking a MAX unit? I know its been mentioned in some threads that MAX's seem to be too prevalent.

The only thing I've really seen for pros for the HA is they are a bit faster and can capture nodes. Other than that, MAX usually wins out depending on the loadout.

Is it possible they will add a resource cost to the MAX in the future?
Old 2012-08-13, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sick Boy
Private

Re: MAX vs. HA

well it gives you faster speed, ability to capture, also their AT weapons give them a fighting chance against a max if the HA has decent skills and uses his speed and cover to his advantage.

then again i would like a resource cost to using a max class.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Renegadeknight
Sergeant

versatility I suppose. Like you said they are faster, can hack and I think they can get into more vehicles(not sure if HA is restricted in this regard) . There is also the fact maxs don't have sights for their weapons, which may bother some people.

Last edited by Renegadeknight; 2012-08-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghostwing
Private

yes, the max should have either a resource cost, a cooldown, or both.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vencher
Private

cant a heavy assault also hop in and drive vehicles...unlike a MAX?
Old 2012-08-13, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

I was expecting the OP to see it the other way around; I expected to see you ask: Why pick MAX when you can go HA?

Then again I like surprises!
Old 2012-08-13, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Comet
First Sergeant

Ah yes, piloting vehicles, I didn't think of that.

From the comments in beta though, it seems that the advantages we have listed for HA aren't enough to stop people from MAX crashing everything.

Last edited by Comet; 2012-08-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

They're vastly different. That's like saying "Why drive a truck when you can drive a car?" Two different purposes, two different playstyles.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Vencher View Post
cant a heavy assault also hop in and drive vehicles...unlike a MAX?
If you're going to pilot a vehicle you're probably going to be an engineer anyway, to repair yourself if need be. Piloting vehicles isn't a serious advantage for HA to have over MAXs.

Also, it being a team game, it's unlikely you will ever be without someone who can hack for you, if MAXs are indeed unable to hack. So that's not a real drawback either unless you were planning to play absolutely solo way off in the corner somewhere.

And as for versatility, MAXs can mix-and-match weapons. So pick one AI weapon and one AV weapon and presto, you're as versatile as HA is. Only you're also way more durable.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-08-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Comet
First Sergeant

You mean like the differences we've already discussed OnexBig? Do you have any insight as to why you believe MAX's are being seen to the point where people believe they are OP in beta?

I'm just looking for genuine discussion on this topic, I'm not saying it should be one way or the other.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
AThreatToYou
Major

In no way are MAXs too prevalent. They could use a 2minute cooldown but they appear to be fine.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Renegadeknight
Sergeant

Maxes also are bigger targets. A HA could go take cover behind objects, a max just needs to stand there and take it. Also someone said something about engineers driving vehicles, what about just an ATV to move faster or a multi passenger vehicle. If I recall right the truck can only take one max so why not fill the rest with HA. The max would also be unable to gun since he has a special seat in the truck. Last as I said before HA have sights which may be more comfortable for people. A max is pretty much always hip firing. You guys look at it too much in terms of durability.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

I'd say 5 min CD that can be certed down to 2 minutes. (for MAXes)

If you die in under 120 seconds as a MAX... not, you no get another.

Anyways, HA do have advantages.

They can be healed instead of repaired, which medics will be more common with foot assaults, you can hop into tanks or ride a quad. You get ADS and you have an overshield ability that makes you comparably durable.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Comet
First Sergeant

I'm not actually sure if MAX's are too common or not but it has been suggested they are. They didn't seem too prevalent to me either from the videos I've seen, however, I'm not there either.

Good points brought up so far about the class.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Comet View Post
You mean like the differences we've already discussed OnexBig? Do you have any insight as to why you believe MAX's are being seen to the point where people believe they are OP in beta?

I'm just looking for genuine discussion on this topic, I'm not saying it should be one way or the other.
I'm not here to discuss why everyone is picking the cool robot suit with miniguns over the regular guy with a gun in the game they just started playing 5 minutes ago. I think that's pretty obvious. If you're trying to imply that there's a balance or population division problem, you're either talking out of your ass or breaking NDA, TBH, because there wouldn't really be a way of knowing anything regarding Max count or balance without breaking NDA or regurgitating someone else's NDA. As for the higby streams, I can't think of a time he was actually in a real battle and not just dicking around 200 yards from one.

However, as for differences, there are several.

a)Vehicle use.
b)Mobility - big difference here.
c)Certain weaponry differences.
d)Also, the fact that there are several infantry classes to divide the infantry population, but only one max suit, so HA will kind of blend in with these observations.
e)I'd have to imagine that out in the open MAX suits are a huge bullseye, especially with the ease I'd imagine aircraft and tanks hit them with.
f)All of the little gadgets and gizmos and the ease of hiding in a base that you're attacking/defending.

How is this all not completely obvious? Again, I won't be speaking to balance or actual population, just differences that we all know, because everyone here either has no real insight on that issue or they're breaking NDA.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion