Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2 - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Screw Ask Jeeves, Ask Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-21, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
in battlefield the amount of tanks are limited. in ps2 anyone can pull one. i assure you it will not be a good thing. you wont even be able to set foot outside as an infantry.

and you know it WILL happen because the ps1 veterans are cheap as hell and will do anything to win.
Your assurance doesn't sway me, unfortunately. I spend probably 75% - 90% of my time outdoors, because I grew bored of fighting in the same stairwell over and over. If you are worried about vehicles pwning infantry, there is a very very simple solution...cover. In PS1, if you are caught out in the open by a vehicle, you are toast, and I'd figure the same will be true for PS2.

Therefore, infantry will use cover to protect themselves from getting rolled by vehicles, just like they've always done.

One of the most beautiful sights in Planetside is seeing a huge armor column rolling to a target. The more of that we have in PS2, the happier panda I'll be.

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-09-21 at 06:10 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
One of the most beautiful sights in Planetside is seeing a huge armor column rolling to a target. The more of that we have in PS2, the happier panda I'll be.
Wait aren't you a Reaver pilot? meh who am I kidding I'll be bombing them.
Old 2011-09-21, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Wait aren't you a Reaver pilot? meh who am I kidding I'll be bombing them.
Yup, and the best view of the column is from the air, providing air support. Or like you said, shooting the hell out of them if they are bad guys. Either way, seeing it brings a big juicy smile to my face.

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-09-21 at 09:03 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
Baron
First Sergeant

Touching on the Skill Unlock discussion, remember that Higby also said that the skills available to you are limited by Battle Rank as well (not just time to train the skill).
Old 2011-09-21, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Call me crazy, but if the amount of vehicles doubled, I'd say that's a good thing.
At the cost of gameplay? No. (and we will have a ton more vehicles just with the 3-4x player numbers anyway) The best times we had were with the vehicles that required teamwork. I dont see how a game tahts just a bunch of boring lightnings running around is even appropriate in a game that has a bazillion people. They should be taking advantage of the huge popluations, not going in the opposite direction and tryin to make us all be Rambo solo selfish tards. Sounds like somthin you'd do on a console where they have just a handful of players and cant support the crew, not a game that will have more players than they know what to do with.

And no the reaver argument doesnt hold up, yeah we had em in ps1 as solo vehicles, as were bfr's and it was a problem. You dont fix the problem by making everything in the game have the same problems.

It loses alot of the cool factor of seeing large groups of vehicles roaming around when you realize its just a bunch of solo tards in their outdoor version of MAX armor, dressed up as a tank.

I would pay a ton of certs to get versions of the vehicles that werent this stupid idea and gave us back real tanks, with turrets, gunners, and pilots. Honestly at this point if every vehicle just goes to this solo style of gameplay, I'm really gonna find it hard to wanna even play the game. I cant keep talkin myself into liking all the changes if nothing, esp the core team based stuff i like, is still anything like PS. I can do the stuff they talk about now in BF. I dont want that, i want PS. =(
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-09-21 at 09:24 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
At the cost of gameplay? No.
I personally find vehicle combat more interesting that the infantry gameplay. You can still have infantry outdoors by making most vehicles suck at killing infantry. The idea should be that infantry are mostly focused on infantry and vehicles focus on vehicles outdoors. This really comes down to balance and how the terrain is set up. The maps are hand crafted so I'm imagining rocks and trees that allow players to hide behind and move around in the battle keeping infantry and vehicle combat generally divided.
Old 2011-09-21, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
It loses alot of the cool factor of seeing large groups of vehicles roaming around when you realize its just a bunch of solo tards in their outdoor version of MAX armor, dressed up as a tank.
I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I just want to throw this out there. To somebody new to Planetside (i.e. everyone except the few thousand that ever played it) the above quote would probably never even cross their mind. I'd bet they'll see a crap load of tanks and think "wow thats a crap load of tanks". Not everybody is cool with just driving Miss Daisy around. Clearly a number of PS vets don't feel that way, but my guess is that most people play a shooter to, you know, shoot.

So while, like you, I prefer the PS1 style of vehicle gameplay, I don't think the new way is game breaking. Even if everyone is just solo tanks with no secondary gunners at all, you'd still see teamwork, right?

Old 2011-09-21, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
moosepoop
Captain

Even if everyone is just solo tanks with no secondary gunners at all, you'd still see teamwork, right?
no, they will ruin all outdoor infantry combat.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #174
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
no, they will ruin all outdoor infantry combat.
Terrain.

But lets just say, for the sake of argument, that there will be no outdoor infantry in PS2, you'd still have teamwork among the players.

Old 2011-09-21, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #175
moosepoop
Captain

But lets just say, for the sake of argument,
im not arguing for the sake of arguing. im arguing because i know the devs read forum feedback and im trying to give clear concise statements about how i think it is a bad idea. and it is a bad idea.

-single man tanks with heavy firepower allows for tank spam, ruining infantry combat outdoors. the number of tanks will be doubled and tripled, and might even outnumber infantry.
-being able to solo such power tanks makes drivers lose team cohesion and decrease teamwork, in a game where teamwork is vital
- the unique sense of comeradery and intensity with gunning with other players is lost
- being able to single man battle tanks eliminates need for light tanks and light vehicles. why drive a three man buggy when you can drive a solo killing machine?
- at least reaver has low hp. a tank has high firepower and high hitpoints. it will be used extensively for farming infantry, which ruins gameplay.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-09-21 at 11:28 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
moosepoop
Captain

headshots and squad spawning, that can add intensity and bring more action. but this has potential to be game breaking.

when we try to imagine the impact and consequences, we must imagine on a massive scale. people are used to the empty dead current ps1 and dont realize how badly solo main tanks can be with thousands of people.

a skilled av infantry can kill a lightning by himself. but if the tank driver will be able to solo in a main battle tank, that spells disaster. it will be a infantry farming rape fest.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-09-21 at 11:39 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
Brusi
Contributor
Major

We know that infantry will have more power with destroying tanks (FB style demo charges), so i don't think it will necessarily end outdoor infantry combat...

I like the idea of balanced scalability of power.

1 AV infantry guy is obviously outgunned by a 1 guy in a tank but still stands a chance depending on terrain
1 AV infantry guys vs a 2 manned tank is toast
2 AV infantry guys vs a 1 man tank will be a real danger to him
2 AV infantry guys vs a 2 man tank will be a semi-fair fight (terrain deciding the outcome)

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-22, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #178
ECM
Private

I wonder if you do know that the devs could always make gunning while driving as a skill you need to unlock first. Think about that. Also if you are in a great outfit there will always be great teamwork involved, thats a fact. Also there is also the possiblity of driving and let someone else gun. Plus we still don't know how we are to capture a territory and I think the devs have hinted at having multiple ways. Until you see it in action and also the resource system, complaining about tank gunners is pointless. Plus you guys all acting like only the nme can use 1 manned tanks, your own factions can do this too. if you see a bunch of tanks rollin you better get yours.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #179
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

They could, and hopefully we can convince them to do so, or to have some concession to those of us who prefer the PS1 style of vehicle play. At the moment however that's not the plan they've given us. Also, I don't think anyone is under the impression that this is a one faction thing.

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2011-09-22 at 12:20 AM.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #180
ECM
Private

it's just the tone of those complaining about something they haven't seen, not about one faction.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion