Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2 - Page 30 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Quotes are hard.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #436
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Didn't read most of this thread due to time constraint. Sorry if this idea was already posted.

A simple solution to this could be allowing the tank driver to cert into a gunner tree that would allow another player to use the main gun for him. Making it a similar setup to planetside.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #437
psychosiszz
Private

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

If we take the BF3 mechanics, driving and gunning a tank should be fairly balanced. For instance being a secondary gunner on a tank is very useful as the second gunner protects the tank from infantry and also air (im sure there will be a anti-air upgrade for the secondary gunner). Secondary Gunner can also act as a tank commander and spot targets or be the tanks engineer and repair the tank etc.
So the team work is still there if players want to get the most out of the tank.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #438
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Look at them in battle against VS. Mag were moving, vanguards just sit at one place and shoot as its hard to move and shoot at once. Those tank battles will be very often static.
This is pretty much it. I feel sorry for you non VS folks. You will all have to stop to get good aim, or move in very close.
If you stop, your tank will be air cav bait. And seeing how effective air-to-ground missiles are, you will die fast. If you try to get close, you will run over mines or just get picked of by your opponents before you can get close.

Did you see ANY of the vanguards turn it's turret past 90°? No? Wonder why... They can't see squat of what's in front of them, so they fall off cliffs, run into trees, ect if they do.

Originally Posted by psychosiszz View Post
If we take the BF3 mechanics, driving and gunning a tank should be fairly balanced. For instance being a secondary gunner on a tank is very useful as the second gunner protects the tank from infantry and also air (im sure there will be a anti-air upgrade for the secondary gunner). Secondary Gunner can also act as a tank commander and spot targets or be the tanks engineer and repair the tank etc.
So the team work is still there if players want to get the most out of the tank.
Well, good thing we don't. BF3 does not have an unlimited number of tanks. Seriously, how many BF3 gun positions would be used if anyone could pull a tank in that game? None I presume.

Anti air on MBTs will not be required. Even if you put AA on them, it was stated that they will only have medicore power. So what is better, one MBT with a medicore AA or one MBT + one lightning, with the best AA in game? Both take two people to operate, diffrence is that the lightning + mbt combo will be far more effective.

Last edited by Azren; 2012-03-07 at 11:41 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #439
ThGlump
Captain

And reason to have gunner to protect you against air goes vain. You just easily switch to gunner position and kill that pesky reaver yourself. Why waste gunner position when he can have his own tank = twice armor, twice AV dmg, twice AA dmg.

Q: Will vehicle occupants still need to get out to change seats?
A: No
Old 2012-03-07, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #440
Azren
Sergeant Major

And reason to have gunner to protect you against air goes vain. You just easily switch to gunner position and kill that pesky reaver yourself. Why waste gunner position when he can have his own tank = twice armor, twice AV dmg, twice AA dmg.

What? In which interview was this? If this is true, there is no argument supporting two manned MBTs anymore. Well played SoE!
Old 2012-03-07, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #441
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Dear god NO.
Old 2012-03-07, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #442
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
What? In which interview was this? If this is true, there is no argument supporting two manned MBTs anymore. Well played SoE!
http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...ity-qa-102.htm
Old 2012-03-07, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #443
Gelnika
Private

I dunno if anyone here has played Red Orchestra: Ostfront or Darkest Hour: Europe '44-'45, but team-tanking vs. solo tanking is as contentious an issue there as it is here. As a long time player of the game, I enjoy team-tanking so long as you can choose who you're team-tanking with. Often you'll get greenhorns hopping in the driver's seat and holding the rest of the crew hostage to their inability to field the vehicle properly and ultimately bringing everyone's experience down.

These two games are hardcore by most standards with a very tight knit community. Planetside 2 has to appeal to a larger and less hardcore audience (because they need to make money!) who might just want to hop in for a half an hour and play a tank hero for a bit. I get this and I think they're making the right decision for the pick-up-and-play player.

However, there is something uniquely satisfying in pulling of great feats of teamwork, even when you are defeated. Both those games (RO & DH) allow you to solo tank, but you can only man one position at a time and you must switch between the driver, hull-gunner and commander (who also operates the main cannon). Some sort of system like this would be ideal in my mind as it allows team-tanking, but doesn't force it. However, I know it's probably too late in development to backpedal on the decision.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #444
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Gelnika View Post
I enjoy team-tanking so long as you can choose who you're team-tanking with.

This is what Outfits and Vehicle permissions were for.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #445
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Gelnika View Post
However, I know it's probably too late in development to backpedal on the decision.
Wouldn't know why, it's just a matter of assigning gun control input to keyboard and mouse A or B.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #446
Raymac
Brigadier General

1) This may not apply to the tanks, only to transports like the Sunderer and Galaxy.
2) If it does apply to tanks, then your tank will be immobile and a sitting duck. A stationary target in the middle of a battle is toast.
3) The seat change may not be instantaneous. They could balance it with a 1-2 second time delay.

I don't like the idea either, but let's stop fucking panicing every fucking time we hear something new. Please.

Old 2012-03-07, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #447
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

If this is about skills, why not split the Tank skill tree in two, driver skills and gunner skills. Then people that suck at aiming (me) but like to drive can invest in the "drivers" tree, while people who like to gun can invest in the "gunners" tree.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #448
SgtMAD
Captain

you will die to that air-to-ground assault everytime if your counter to it is coming to a complete stop while switching seats,these air-cav outfits will make mincemeat out of any armor that uses a silly tactic like that.

you are going to be dead if you stop moving.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #449
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
you will die to that air-to-ground assault everytime if your counter to it is coming to a complete stop while switching seats,these air-cav outfits will make mincemeat out of any armor that uses a silly tactic like that.

you are going to be dead if you stop moving.
This means Teamwork/Tank Crews should be removed?
Old 2012-03-07, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #450
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
This means Teamwork/Tank Crews should be removed?
Quite the opposite actually. Teamwork is encouraged because being solo will severly nerf you if you have to stop moving to fire your secondary. If you have a buddy on the secondary you will be far more effective. Teamwork is encouraged by this, not discouraged. But I've said that enough on this thread already.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion