Any way to pop sqaudleader smoke from within the UI? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where good relationships go to die.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-29, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Any way to pop sqaudleader smoke from within the UI?

As opposed to in the map?
Old 2013-01-29, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Loban
Private

Re: Any way to pop sqaudleader smoke from within the UI?

God, I wish!!! But no, not that I know of. It makes sense that waypoints are put down via the map as they don't need to be all that precise. But when I pop smoke, I want it to be at an exact location.

But for the record, I think waypoints and smoke should both be able to be put down via the reticle/quick action menu.
Old 2013-01-29, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Exactly what I was thinking - "mines on green, beacon on purple, bursters on orange" would be super quick that way.
Old 2013-01-29, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
satori
Corporal

dumb question, but can enemies see your squad leader smoke when deployed?
Old 2013-01-29, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

No only your faction can see it.

Old 2013-01-29, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DhrRob
Private

Do it devs, been waiting for this a long time
Old 2013-01-29, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sylvanicus
Contributor
Private

Originally Posted by LoliLoveFart View Post
No only your faction can see it.
Really? That... seems... odd. What's the reasoning behind that then? I suppose so people don't use it as cheap longlasting smoke grenades? Hrm.

Anyways, I agree that if nothing else the smoke should be deployable without going in to the map and whatnot.

Mattherson | NC | Infiltrator

Leader of Legio Arctos | Twitter | YouTube
Old 2013-01-29, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Chewy
Major

Squad gun. Basic gear for squad leaders. Acts like a grenade launcher.
Standard ammo types
-Squad beacons
---Fires a sticky grenade that serves as a squad beacon. Has a timer of (whatever) between each use and can only deploy in open areas (timer activates even if grenade fails to deploy)

-Smoke markers (one for each color)
---Fires colored smoke markers that apply themselves to any surface they land on. They use special fumes that are invisible to the naked eye and require your standard issue coded visor to be seen. (trying to explain why other factions can't see them)

-Distress beacons (attack defend orders)
---ONLY TO BE USED FOR EMERGENCIES! Once fired they send out a distress call that can be seen by everyone in your faction. Do not intend to use without true need for support!

Crap name I know. But that's my idea. Could go with the grenade type or give another use to one of the tools. Think of it like a radio pack. Could even make it visible on your person to show that you're the squad leader and either make you a target for the enemy, or let those outside of your squad know that your orders over proxy might be something to listen to.
Old 2013-01-29, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Squad gun. Basic gear for squad leaders. Acts like a grenade launcher.
Standard ammo types
-Squad beacons
---Fires a sticky grenade that serves as a squad beacon. Has a timer of (whatever) between each use and can only deploy in open areas (timer activates even if grenade fails to deploy)

-Smoke markers (one for each color)
---Fires colored smoke markers that apply themselves to any surface they land on. They use special fumes that are invisible to the naked eye and require your standard issue coded visor to be seen. (trying to explain why other factions can't see them)

-Distress beacons (attack defend orders)
---ONLY TO BE USED FOR EMERGENCIES! Once fired they send out a distress call that can be seen by everyone in your faction. Do not intend to use without true need for support!

Crap name I know. But that's my idea. Could go with the grenade type or give another use to one of the tools. Think of it like a radio pack. Could even make it visible on your person to show that you're the squad leader and either make you a target for the enemy, or let those outside of your squad know that your orders over proxy might be something to listen to.
Actually, this is an awesome idea...

I'd still like to be able to place smoke and beacons with the map, but this would certainly be a cool way to do it as a first-person interface.
Would certainly be better for that "Priority Attack/Defense" target spotting they had that only allowed you to "Q" a single control point.
Old 2013-01-29, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Frankly, I don't need another item on the scroll wheel. It's a neat concept, but I'll settle for just having the button mapped.
Old 2013-01-30, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Frankly, I don't need another item on the scroll wheel. It's a neat concept, but I'll settle for just having the button mapped.
Nah, this would go in the slot where your "Squad Beacon" is currently, then you'd just click through the different options with your "Fire Select" key.
Old 2013-01-30, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Gloves.
Old 2013-01-30, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Koadster
Sergeant Major

They need to implement BF2s Squad Leader Commo Rose. Its sad the dev team copied BF3 yet they should have copied BF2 which got ALOT of things right!

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR
Old 2013-01-30, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
Nah, this would go in the slot where your "Squad Beacon" is currently, then you'd just click through the different options with your "Fire Select" key.
Might even be possible to attach the grenades to vehicles. Squad beacons would certainly fail to work/deploy but think of smoke. Hit a tank with smoke and say "Fuck that up". Be able to put beacons in hard to reach areas like high places, behind walls, ect without being forced out of a support class and getting caught in the open. Or even maybe use the damned smokes indoors, for what ever good that may be.

To be honest I never liked being able to place smokes from the map. Dropping a marker/waypoint is fine, but smoke feels wrong. It's like calling for artillery strike, without being able to. Waypoints are simple GPS cords displayed on a HUD, but smokes are things not data. How are they getting there?
Old 2013-01-30, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Whiteagle
Major

Might even be possible to attach the grenades to vehicles. Squad beacons would certainly fail to work/deploy but think of smoke. Hit a tank with smoke and say "Fuck that up". Be able to put beacons in hard to reach areas like high places, behind walls, ect without being forced out of a support class and getting caught in the open. Or even maybe use the damned smokes indoors, for what ever good that may be.
Of course!

It'd be great for things like spotting specific targets for the Mission System and such.
Like, "Airstrike on the Sunderer marked with the yellow smoke" or "Heavy's take out the Skyguard marked with green".

To be honest I never liked being able to place smokes from the map. Dropping a marker/waypoint is fine, but smoke feels wrong. It's like calling for artillery strike, without being able to. Waypoints are simple GPS cords displayed on a HUD, but smokes are things not data. How are they getting there?
...Orbital Smoke Strike.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion