Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-08-05, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

High School

I am about to begin my freshman year of high school this year. Most of you have already been through High School, and I was wondering if you had any tips for the widdle freshy.

Last edited by Jaged; 2003-08-05 at 05:16 AM.
Old 2003-08-05, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mtx
The Mensa Troll

Have lots of sex and try not to ditch the important classes.

Old 2003-08-05, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
AsylumX
Staff Sergeant

Go to school and do your work. As for the previous post.../agree. Plan ahead too, ask the councellor if he can help you set it up so you have all the required courses. I have a few friends that graduated a semester early because they had all their credits. I just graduated this year and i fucked it up bad, lol...just have fun, but use restraint

AsylumX
Old 2003-08-05, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

I, on the other hand, am just starting freshman year in college.

For high school: just make sure you get your shit done before you go out and have fun. It will really pay off in the end and if you mess it up you wont get to do it over. Colleges look at all 4 years of high school... Good luck, it's really not bad at all.
Old 2003-08-05, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Squick
Major

Jaged, join as many school activities/clubs as possible... That is one thing that I highly regret about my high school time. I got an internship at a computer consultanting company at the end of my Freshmen year of high school, I then worked a LOT every year, to the point that I could not join any clubs after my Freshmen year.

One thing you will find out is the friends you make in high school will usually be some of your life-long friends, and it is usually easiest to meet friends when you are in a club with people that have equal interests as you.

I would also recommend joining a sport of some sort, that will usually expose you to a different group of people that may like to do things that you have never tried.

Basically my main recommendation is get to know as many people as possible and do as many things as possible.

Squick
Old 2003-08-05, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Revenant
First Sergeant

1. Keep your head down. Unless you're extremely popular, drawing any attention to you is a bad thing.

2. Learn to sleep sitting up on one arm. You will find many oppurtunities to impliment this. Plus sleep is an important part of ones day

3. Slack off. You will find they really don't get on your case to do work that much in high school.

4. Skip when you want. You will also find with so many students (and I was in a relatively medium sized school) that skipping, faking notes, and deleting answering machine messages is a breeze.

5. Respect the higher ups. No, I don't mean the staff (although some maturity and respect to them goes a long way).
I mean the older grades. You might think showing some balls to them is a good idea... but trust me... it isn't..... I've seen it happen many times....

6. Find good friends. You'll find everyone is starting off new like you, so now's your chance to get with the "cool" kids.

And remember, you can coast through your early years, cause no one really looks at them
Old 2003-08-05, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Originally posted by Revenant
1. Keep your head down. Unless you're extremely popular, drawing any attention to you is a bad thing.

2. Learn to sleep sitting up on one arm. You will find many oppurtunities to impliment this. Plus sleep is an important part of ones day

3. Slack off. You will find they really don't get on your case to do work that much in high school.

4. Skip when you want. You will also find with so many students (and I was in a relatively medium sized school) that skipping, faking notes, and deleting answering machine messages is a breeze.

5. Respect the higher ups. No, I don't mean the staff (although some maturity and respect to them goes a long way).
I mean the older grades. You might think showing some balls to them is a good idea... but trust me... it isn't..... I've seen it happen many times....

6. Find good friends. You'll find everyone is starting off new like you, so now's your chance to get with the "cool" kids.

And remember, you can coast through your early years, cause no one really looks at them

Conformity is bad.

I agree with 2, 3 and 4, the rest is conformist rubbish. Don't let others dictate who you will be or what you will do. If an older grade is being an idiot, don't fear to tell him so. He is at most 4 years older, not a god. Draw all the attention to yourself you want. Fear not the masses, for they are easily confused.
Old 2003-08-05, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Revenant
First Sergeant

Well that's all nice and good.... but this is high school we're talking about, nothing's fair.

Teenagers can make other teenagers lives living hell. It's best you just stay outta the way of the higher ups.
I know if some grade 9 was mouthing off to me he'd be gasping for air in a toilet bowl.

And keeping your head down is a smart idea, especially with initiation (sp?) rituals that go on that first week.

I remember some buds that were standing around after school that first week, they got "nined". That's when you get 9's written in black magic maker all over your face. I was smart, kept a look out.... plus I looked older (well I did get asked if I was a niner once, but I ignored them and kept walking fast. No way I was going to get nined by a chick )

But yea, follow my rules if you want to survive.....
Old 2003-08-05, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Originally posted by Revenant
Well that's all nice and good.... but this is high school we're talking about, nothing's fair.

Teenagers can make other teenagers lives living hell. It's best you just stay outta the way of the higher ups.
I know if some grade 9 was mouthing off to me he'd be gasping for air in a toilet bowl.

And keeping your head down is a smart idea, especially with initiation (sp?) rituals that go on that first week.

I remember some buds that were standing around after school that first week, they got "nined". That's when you get 9's written in black magic maker all over your face. I was smart, kept a look out.... plus I looked older (well I did get asked if I was a niner once, but I ignored them and kept walking fast. No way I was going to get nined by a chick )

But yea, follow my rules if you want to survive.....
Well, I guess that leaves a person with two options:
1.) Be a man, do whatever the hell you want, and take what comes from it.

2.) Come in the first day and give your spine over to some idiot 4 years older then you, wear a dress to school, and prepare to take it up the rear for four years.

Personally, I wouldn't let some senior punk draw nines on my face or stick my head in a toilet. Then again, I am a little bigger and more gutsy then most.
Old 2003-08-05, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Spider
General

If you want it easy do like me, be a goth and beat the crap out of anyone that goes too far... nobody fucked with me once I went head to head with ''big'' bully

I may be small! But I pack quite a kick
Old 2003-08-05, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
firecrackerNC
Colonel

Dont take shit from people,im going in my sophmore year and i made quite a few jock friends in older grades by not taking shit from people including teachers,dont be an ass to them but dont let them walk over you,first few weeks of Gym class a few older kids thought they were better then everyone and decided to find people to pick on,well they tried me and after a few days of me cussing them out and pushing they layed of and ended up acting cool to me so thats just my opinion
Old 2003-08-05, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Originally posted by Spider
If you want it easy do like me, be a goth and beat the crap out of anyone that goes too far... nobody fucked with me once I went head to head with ''big'' bully

I may be small! But I pack quite a kick
Yeah, you could always take the prison aproach, go insane and beat someone with a chair the first day and nobody messes with you on the second day. When I first got to my school, I had to get my bluff in bassically. Just show people, in one way or another, that you are bassically a peacefull guy, just don't push me. And whatever you do, don't conform or you will be eating someone elses crap for the rest of your life.
Old 2003-08-05, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Better yet, weasel your way out of traditional high school alltogether and find a way to earn credits some other way, thats what I'm doing. Couldn't deal with all the god damned people everywhere.
Old 2003-08-05, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sputty
Banned

I recommend you start killing hobos to try deal with all the idiots.
Old 2003-08-05, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Originally posted by Sputty
I recommend you start killing hobos to try deal with all the idiots.
No! make friends with the hobos, then arm them. Name one your general and have them come to school with you. If anyone says anything, sick the bums on them. Nobody will ever mess with you again.*

*except for the hobos, who may revolt, leaving you in a very bad situation. Your milage may vary, but it sounds like a great plan to me.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge