Whee, weapons lock. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am your god! And I demand cheesy sacrifices!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Greif Points, Should they :
Go down faster 2 3.77%
Go down faster, but only if you log off. 11 20.75%
Be totaly re-evaluated, the current system is OTT and punishes accidental fire more than it punishes actual TKers. 13 24.53%
Stay the same, despite the inacuracy of weapons. 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-11-14, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
TeraHertz
Major

Whee, weapons lock.

Today I shot a few muppets in the back (but didn't kill them) when defending a back door since they kept darting back and forth rather taking up defensive positions.

Then, later outside, I accidentaly killed what I think was a CR5. He was beeing charged by a scatterMAX. My PC locked up for a couple of secs, and when it "woke up" I had weapons lock and a /tell telling me to watch what I shoot. Next time I'll just not fire back till my team mates are dead.

Ok, so the back door shots were unavoidable. I was even aiming high to make sure i hit the steps as the enemy came down, and not my stupid empire mates. The enemy tank i killed that took out ALOT of my own team was just utter bullshit, but I'll live with it I suppose, and the CR5, well that was an accident. As for the death of mr PKNutty "I like to kill friendly ants then threaten people that complain that I'll hack them" he deserved every FF shot he got. All of the greif, fair enough, the devs aren't going to change that I guess. However, for gods sake why does it take so long to go down!? It seems to go down slower when I'm offline than on.

Does anyone else think the greif points should go down faster?
Old 2003-11-14, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
kreeten
Contributor
First Sergeant

grief pts

I just dont understand how peeps even get remotely close to lockup. Ive been playing since retail release and used all weps. Had pounder since the beginning, use thumper all the time and the closest ive ever gotten was 161 gp. One of those things that make you go....hmmmmm.
Old 2003-11-14, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TeraHertz
Major

Somewhere on this forums is the reason I got 1/2 my lock, some guy who nailed my squad mates ant, so that his own ant could get in, then started going on how he'd hack me etc.

I met him later when he coudn't run away in his reaver, and I never forget an unfriendly face. Suffice it to say, 500 greif points. Then I got a tank cert for the first time. I killed an enemy tank, it blew up, and it killed a LOAD of allied troops who were all around it. Another load of grief. Other than that it was all little accidental stuff. Killing allied cloakers by mistake, running people over, people bumping into ME, etc.
Old 2003-11-14, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Madcat170
Sergeant

It Occurs to me, if you had to kill him back and got 500 greif for one kill (which by the way is impossible unless you happened to blow up more than one freindly in the process), you are no better than the Greifer, ive played since retail and in beta, and not had one weapons lock, infact ive not had more than 500 greif at any1 point in the entire time i play. The greif system works exactly as it should. Grow up stop acting like a spoilt little boy that didnt get his way and learn to control you urge to fire.

The weapons lock, is your Fault. Your CP locked up? Your fault. Freindlies ran infront of you and you didnt take your finger off the trigger your Fault.

Every 1 of these posts says " I MESSED UP, THE SYSTEM SHOULD COMPENSATE FOR MY UTTER STUPIDITY!!!!!!11111111"

i know this is a flame but i keep seeing posts like these and have to think nothing more than "idiots"
Old 2003-11-14, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by TeraHertz
Somewhere on this forums is the reason I got 1/2 my lock, some guy who nailed my squad mates ant, so that his own ant could get in, then started going on how he'd hack me etc.

I met him later when he coudn't run away in his reaver, and I never forget an unfriendly face. Suffice it to say, 500 greif points. Then I got a tank cert for the first time. I killed an enemy tank, it blew up, and it killed a LOAD of allied troops who were all around it. Another load of grief. Other than that it was all little accidental stuff. Killing allied cloakers by mistake, running people over, people bumping into ME, etc.

Well based on your story, it sounds like the grief system works like it's supposed to. You deserved what you got. Quit TK'ing like crazy! I mean, I TK anyone who pisses me off enough, but I've NEVER gone over 500 grief, and that was when I first started using the thumper. Other than that I hover around 0 grief most of the time. Next time someone does something that pisses you off, get your whole outfit to fuck with him. It causes you less grief, and is way more effective at frustrating the person anyway.
Old 2003-11-14, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
flypengy
Master Sergeant

A lot of people complain about the grief system. But one you look at the amount of people that actually have weapons lock or are on the verge (a very small percentage) you can typically assume that someone has weapons lock for doing something dumb (tk'ing a gen) or not playing smart (shooting for that kill when you didn't need to)
Old 2003-11-14, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TeraHertz
Ok, so the back door shots were unavoidable. I was even aiming high to make sure i hit the steps as the enemy came down, and not my stupid empire mates. . . . However, for gods sake why does it take so long to go down!? It seems to go down slower when I'm offline than on. Does anyone else think the greif points should go down faster?
I feel your pain.

To answer some peoples question about getting on the verge, grief is exponential in other words if you have none you get very little if you hit a freindly, however as you accumulate more that same shot that gives you +5 grief gives me +25 or even higher.... and the thumper (aka the grief machine to my outfit) is even more b/c the damage is cumulative so each nade that a frienly gets hit with (or more times than not runs into) can get you 30-60+ grief a shot, per friendly.

I proposed a system that takes into account enemy presence, the higher the enemy population (large, huge, massive) the less grief is garnished from accidental hits. All my grief has come from massive base invasions in which sometimes you have to sacrafice that n00b who runs up to the back door to fight while you thump the incomming nmes.

good thing I can't play much this weekend maybe on Monday my grief will be back down around 400...

BTW: how fast does grief diminish? is it 1 pt per 10 minutes? That's crazy! 1000 grief gets you wep lock. therefore 10000 minutes to diminish to zero, in other words...166.6 hours which is 1 week!

oh and to leave you with a fun quote form a platoonmate last night...

"If you ain't griefing you ain't trying"

~Tide
Old 2003-11-14, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Grief system needs revamped.

The fact that I get grief for sitting parked outside of a base and getting slammed into by some asshat who's had to much to drink is complete bullshit.

The fact that I shot down an enemy Liberator, who's passenger have bailed, and the thing crashes into a friendly and I get grief is complete bullshit.

The fact that an enemy tank rolling into a courtyard blows up on my mines and damages a friendly is complete bullshit.

The fact that my mossy gets shot down, I bail, and it crashes into some friendlies and I get grief is complete bullshit.

The fact that I autodrive off of the vehicle pad, completely without the ability to drive, and hit a friendly so I get grief is complete bullshit.

The fact that I can be running across an open field, get run over by the only friendly in the are, and I get grief is complete bullshit.

Now, I don't have weapons lock, aren't even close, and actually havn't had it since beta. I still do all the fun stuff like Liberator runs, flail gunning, etc. etc. I just do it "smartly" and avaid the grief situations. I agree that most of the people complaining are the ones who surge into a situation and hold down the fire button. They are the ones spamming plasma down a hallway containing friendlies. They are the ones blasting the hell out of a tower. I have no problem with all of those people suffering from weapons lock...I actually am quite happy with the system in those regards.

The things I mentioned above are what really pisses me off. Why should I get grief for your inability to drive. Why should I get grief for getting shot down by an enemy and my wreakage lands on your head. Why should I get grief for killing the enemy tank who was going to own our courtyard. These are the things that makes me hate the grief system.

Last edited by TheRagingGerbil; 2003-11-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 2003-11-14, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
infinite loop
First Sergeant

I agree that alot of the time, that n00b who ran in front of your thumper deserves to die. But you have to know when to do it, and when to lay off. Part of the game is accepting that people will get in your way, and you can't do anything about it. If your grief gets high, then you stop TK'ing, it's as simple as that. If you don't want grief, you won't get it. From the day of release, until they buffed the thumper, my grief NEVER went over 150 or so. 150 is a decent amount of accidental grief too. So, knowing that it increases exponentially, why continue to do something that causes it? If you can't control your thumper, then why not stick to MA or HA until your grief goes down?
Old 2003-11-14, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

They need to fix the thing that when you kill an nme vehicle, and friendlies get hurt, you do NOT get grief, many a prowler have I blasted, and many a grief point did I get

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2003-11-14, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dharkbayne
They need to fix the thing that when you kill an nme vehicle, and friendlies get hurt, you do NOT get grief, many a prowler have I blasted, and many a grief point did I get
Actually I have to disagree. I think that is totally working as intended. You're not supposed to do anything that can cause damage to a friendly. That includes blowing up enemy vehicles in the vicinity of friendlys. You have to know when to hold your fire.
Old 2003-11-14, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Even when the friendly charges that same prowler with his JH/Lasher/chaingun ablazin'?

No, he deserved to die. I should get more BEP.
Old 2003-11-14, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Well there are obvious exceptions to everything. But I think the first point was referring to a group of friendlies near an enemy vehicle. When you see that and shoot, you deserve grief. The n00b who runs toward the veh with his JH out deserved to die, you're right. But that goes back to accepting a certain amount of accidental grief. You're not going to get much grief for killing that one n00b.
Old 2003-11-14, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Reload
Private

I have been playing the game since open beta used and never have got more than 100 grief points.

[rant]You want to know the secret to low greif, it's very easy to accomplish. Dont shoot if there are a load of freindlies in your line of fire, and dont try to plow your vehicle through a mass of friendlies.

And dont tell me you got high grief because everyone got in your way, your just being careless.[/rant]
Old 2003-11-14, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Reload is it players like you who walk in the middle of the bridge when there are vehicles comming? Are you the player who runs toward that lightning guns a blazin while there are (________ fill in your empire specific tanks) on the way? If so you deserve the death that comes to you.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion