PSU req question. sorta. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like Richard Simmons without the elastic.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-02-15, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

PSU req question. sorta.

Waht is the cheapest P4 and cheapest 1gig ram that will play PS. Im going to get stuff temporarily till the dual (2x1024)2048 ddr drops in price and a cheap proccessor till the 3.4 prescott comes out. I saw a 1.7 P4 for like 56 dollars and some 3200 Corsair CAS2.5 ram for 165 i think. Do you think i can still play PS decently if i get 2700 at (2x512) 1gig, or slower. Im guessing the 1.7 will do for now. I really dont want to spend much till i get those parts i really want.
Old 2004-02-15, 03:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Ummmm, you're going to have to get a new mobo anyway when the 3.4Ghz prescotts come out. Why bother getting a cheap PC when you'll have access to your uber e-penis soon?

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-02-15, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah waste of money, either wait for the 775 or get a new good one now, the gig ram chips have crappy timings anyway, and you don't need more than a gig now, or untill a year or more anyway.

Lots of places have slashed thier prices on the P4c 800mhz's because the newer P4e (AKA presscott, that under performs the P4c right now, it will only be worth it after it hits 3.6ghz, but then it will realy fly)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-15, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Theyre realeasing the 3.2 and 3.4 Prescott in the begining of march for the 478. Im going to WC it later when i get the water cooling parts and OC it. Im putting together a 32bit system right now for old software aswell as the current stuff. Ill build a 64 bit system in a year or 2 if i can. Myabe 3.

I know whats happeneing with the Prescott/Northwood thing. and im getting the gig ram in like 3-4 months i think atleast and will have it so its usable for like another 3 years. Im going to network it and the future 64bit 775/Prescott/Tejas together and probly use it as the relay for my cable modem. For whatever the cable modem is still good for if anything new comes out.

What i realy need to know is if the 400mhz 1.7 P4 and 2700 Cas2.5 will do well on PS and other stufff. Its the value ram form corsair and the reviews on the 2700 were much better from the ocers who all said it ran really good when changed to 2.0. Soo im hoping there right.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-02-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2004-02-15, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

no it wont, 1.7 ghz P4 use rambus anyway.

Forget WCing wast of time, there are too ways to go that you will be good of, not wating money or time, or us heling you when you buy incompatable things.

Get a new P4c 800mhz FBS sytem now that the prices are cut and good memory ect(not prescott the regular p4)

or wait for a few months and get a new 775 3.6 of higher P4e(thats the prescott) and a PCIe vidcard, and some good ddr memory(the current type we use) or DDR2 if you go higher end.

also the 775 socket chips are NOT 64 bit, there may be a chip called yamhill thats 64 bit that MAY be comming out in q4 2k4 or q1 2k5 but Intel has not confirmed that chip yet.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-15, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ait'al
Contributor
General

What do you mean the 1.7 only uses rambus. I thought it was the motherboard that determined this? The P4C800 runs 400mhz. Why wont it work.
Old 2004-02-15, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

because of the socket config, the Rabus p4's used 423, the new ones use 478

Old 2004-02-15, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Even though it says its a 478? Its the Celron too.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-02-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 2004-02-15, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

it says its a 478? i never knew they mdae 478 p4 1.7, any way those p4's suck, its a waste of money and a bad idea, mkae your good computer don't buy crappy things to tide yourself over it just all the longer you have to wait to buy the stuff you need

Old 2004-02-15, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ait'al
Contributor
General

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 theyve been remaking everything that ever existed into 478 celrons lately.
Old 2004-02-15, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah thats even worse, its a celeron

Old 2004-02-15, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I know. Thats the point. I dont mind. I Prefer to have the extra part just to have it. If i could i would go buy every proccessor that ever existed. I love older parts and would like to have one for this period anyway. so i win. 8)
Old 2004-02-15, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Ok if you think it will be a collecters iteam go right ahead, but it will never be, its just dumb to get somthing just to have it unless it serves a purpous, or has some sentimental value to you.

Old 2004-02-15, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

yea dude rbstrs celeron gives crap performance for what is running at. ( No Offense) and the ruse falls apart

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-02-15, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

you right, if i only had a p4, this comp would do much better

its a 2.4 running at 2.9 yet it barely has caught up with a 2.5 in CPU power, and is memory bandwidth still suck because the FBS is only 220 something

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum