warp gate loading - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When shooting people in real life gets boring.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-18, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Gyddyn
Corporal

warp gate loading

I see these discussions about warp gates alot but I have not seen one on this. Lets say when a dropship flys through a warp gate and the game begins to load the map do you have to wait for the slowest connection or computer to finish loading, or how does this work. Well obviously you have to wait for the other people I was just wondering how the loading of the map works.
Old 2003-02-18, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't think annything official has been said about it but i don't see why the pilot would have to wait for annyone but him to finnish loading, not like the servers won't know who is in what transport...

How loading works? Don't quite get what ya mean... Step into a warpgates middle beam, wait for your computer to load the other continent and models and you're off to the new continent.
Old 2003-02-18, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TimberWolf2K
First Sergeant

I thought warpgates only transported people...
anyway, it might work like the boat system in EQ does. 10 people are on a boat, the boat hits the zone line all 10 people start to load. the people load through onto the boat. the boat sits for a set amount of time before moving off again.
So perhaps the poilots controls will freeze up for a few seconds to alow everyone to load.
Or. Say the pilot loads through first, he can fly off freely and when the other people load they are warped into their seating positions where they where.

Simple :P

"Damn, Those Vanu bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride!"
"Rip off my sig and I'll shit down your neck!"
Old 2003-02-18, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Yes, warpgates can transport anything. You're thinking droppods that only transport people.

And Zatrais is correct. There hasn't been any official word on this yet.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-18, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
The Eternal
Sergeant

I don't think it would matter either way considering, if the Server says you moved into the next area then you did, whether your computer is showing it yet is your problem... and the warp gates are big enough so if you warp in it won't be a problem either

Old 2003-02-18, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info
Exclamation

But wouldn't everybody have the continents loaded from the cd? So everybody loads right on time cause they dont have to get the info off the net? The only loadin there would be would be all the ppl an crud coming outa the gate and how they come out. And all the activity of other colonies. I say the loading time would be a fast one......

Like Tribes, it takes lota time to load up the server, but when switchin maps, itsa flash. I'm always on the countdown, even though I gota 58k connection.........then I start laggin when ppl deploy vehicles.......

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2003-02-18, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't think you will need the CD in for playing PS, i'd go so far and say that its a given that you won't need a CD in your CD-drive to play PS.

But as to why you need a load time between continents, your PC needs to load the textures of the map, the map itself and such onto your PC's RAM or swapfile. Those things are pretty big, and your PC will need to do a texture and useless things flush to make room for the data of the new continent. The game itself also uses alott of memory and the devs aim to keep the systemspecs down, having a load time between continents lets them do that.
Old 2003-02-18, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tolvy
Sergeant Major

Originally posted by TimberWolf2K
I thought warpgates only transported people...
anyway, it might work like the boat system in EQ does. 10 people are on a boat, the boat hits the zone line all 10 people start to load. the people load through onto the boat. the boat sits for a set amount of time before moving off again.
So perhaps the poilots controls will freeze up for a few seconds to alow everyone to load.
Galaxies would be sitting ducks if this was true. If someone takes a long time to load, especially the gunners, then the galaxy would be easy BEP's for anyone with AA guns.
Old 2003-02-18, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
KeviN
First Sergeant

I would think that the vehicle wouldn't come into vision until everyone (or the pilot, or whatever it is) has loaded. Hmm... Wonder if you can shoot bullets through warp gates.
Old 2003-02-18, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

No colision or damage in a warpgate in anny way (cept maybe if you jump out of the galaxy and the hight isn't big enough for kinetic dampeners to kick inn). Warpgates are pretty damn huge also so i woulnd't worry to much bout warpgate camping either.
Old 2003-02-18, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

Originally posted by KeviN
I would think that the vehicle wouldn't come into vision until everyone (or the pilot, or whatever it is) has loaded. Hmm... Wonder if you can shoot bullets through warp gates.
and

Originally posted by {BT}Tolvy
Galaxies would be sitting ducks if this was true. If someone takes a long time to load, especially the gunners, then the galaxy would be easy BEP's for anyone with AA guns.
No, bullets wont go through. You cant shoot in a warpgate or through the warpgate at people inside. Which mean no, there would be no killing of people still waiting to load. Id imagine you would be able to crash still, but maybe not.

Also, server loading will probally be like in AO. The game loads around the person so you dont need to load the entire continent and all its occupants. Means its laggy when your first zoning in, but theres no zone points other then the warpgates.
Old 2003-02-18, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Originally posted by Zatrais
But as to why you need a load time between continents, your PC needs to load the textures of the map, the map itself and such onto your PC's RAM or swapfile.
Yea thats what I meant. The only things that you gona load from the net is the movement of other players in the area, which will be the only thing really slowing anybody down.

Old 2003-02-18, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Subliminal
First Sergeant

I was thinking that a problem is going to be people camping out at the warpgates and completely decimating those who come through not expecting to be fired on. I hope that huge camp parties dont end up around warpgates. I think the best solution to this would be like 10-15 seconds of amnisty after you warp so you could either haul ass back through the warp or lock n' load.
Old 2003-02-18, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Originally posted by Subliminal
I think the best solution to this would be like 10-15 seconds of amnisty after you warp so you could either haul ass back through the warp or lock n' load.
You dont need time, you need speed. We all know a warp is a warp, so how fast do we all com outa the gate? And is it possible to ram the hell outa ground troops?

Really, if ya come out at a desent speed, theres no worry about campers. If I was piloting a Galaxy, instead of runnin, I would take a fast loop around a hill or in the air, then do a flyby right through thoughs bastards!

Old 2003-02-18, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Arthell
Master Sergeant

I dont think you would 'warp' out of the gate once youve loaded. If anything i bet you would just appear at the same spot as when you entered the last gate, stationary. (people will go to the bathroom etc. while loading and doubt they would want to come to back flying at top speed across enemy territory with 10 guys on their 6 )

My guess is that a vehicle with passengers will have to wait for everyone to load. A galaxy might have its gunners still loading while it starts flying away, so its pretty much defensless.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion