Global Wide Command Chat? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where pants are always optional.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-14, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info
Global Wide Command Chat?

Question to the community.

Do you guys seeing command chat making a comeback for Planetside 2?
Or some new form of command system we have not seen yet.

This was always one of the best things in the game at least for me. If you were a respected CR5 people would actually listen to your ideas. But to be honest. There are lot of issues with it. Mostly SPAM. People are pretty immature and cant keep their talk out of global. I Admit I even do it sometimes.

So is there a better way to fix this issue?
Old 2011-07-14, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Global Wide Command Chat?

Well, if you have to give up a lot of cool shit to become a commander via the cert system like Matt said, I foresee a lot less CR5s who are only CR5 because why not? (like myself)

If I have to choose between Commanding and being the best grunt I'll choose grunting personally.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raymac
Brigadier General

I think the mission system is a great way to replace that Global spam crap. A global chat would be better with CSRs like BanD around to keep the idiots in check, but I wouldn't shed a single tear to see the whole global chat go the way of the Dodo bird.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

As long as I can turnb the channel off when the R-Tards start spamming I'm game.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

How about a democratic army? Players can vote on CR5's based on their performance, with more popular CR5's getting access to the high level missions while the spamming idiots are slowly voted off the global command chat completely. It'll need some more thought to prevent exploiting or gaming the system, but I'm sure they could come up with something.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Logit
Second Lieutenant

I think it goes without saying the players need a way to communicate with the mass of people in the game. I think a voting system could work if it was implemented correctly, who knows how though : /
Old 2011-07-14, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
How about a democratic army? Players can vote on CR5's based on their performance, with more popular CR5's getting access to the high level missions while the spamming idiots are slowly voted off the global command chat completely. It'll need some more thought to prevent exploiting or gaming the system, but I'm sure they could come up with something.
In theory, I like this idea, but in practice, I have my reservations. You'd likely see the bigger outfits "stuffing the ballot box" so to speak, and it would give them an advantage in that sense. Plus I freaking HATE politics.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
That's a TERRIBLE Idea. You'd be giving power to the big clans to own chat...

I understand what your intention is, but never under estimate the power of people to abuse a system.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

Gandi, too complicated. trying to appeal to a casual play base and also that would give far too much power to outfits with high member counts. the voices of outfits with lower member counts wouldnt be heard. Think of TRx on emerald, they had very few members but were influential.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Maybe I'm underestimating the size of the outfits we'll have. But it'll have to be something more than CSR's to police the chat, if we're going to have the kind of player counts that SOE seems to be aiming for. You could always just /ignore certain CR's, but that doesn't really solve the problem.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

I do not see CR5 globals/continental chat coming back. It was a bad, broken system that only worked in the first few months after release.

I hope however we do see commanders having their own chat as they move up the ranks, but the chat should be amongst themselves to coordinate.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-14, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I do not see CR5 globals/continental chat coming back. It was a bad, broken system that only worked in the first few months after release.

I hope however we do see commanders having their own chat as they move up the ranks, but the chat should be amongst themselves to coordinate.
Command Coordination is important. Anyone play MAG? Groups that worked together, Commanders that did it right got heard, and the job got done.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-14, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

CR5 / command chat / global chat has been something in vital need of reform.

I believe Missions are intended to replace global chat. They are more precise, more flexible, and more immersive and much more difficult to abuse.

Command chat (the type that only CR5s could use) is also something that needs a replacement since it was the primary means of outfit coordination in PS1. I believe a robust and flexible alliance system can effectively replace it and give us a lot of power to do much better than a command chat.

I'll write more on that later, a bit busy at work to go in depth on the alliance thoughts I have. Its on my to-do list to make a thread on it.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

You just never lead, right?

/c was never broken, it worked at every single point during Planetsides life. Because it was JUST a chat channel, nothing else. What players do with that is up to them, and they screwed it up, badly.

The broken part is the mechanic to gain access to write in /c. Being a CR5 wasnt sacrificing something else, it was just be number 1 in squad and wait. Thats why at some point tarts got in, and trolled everything to pieces.

There should be, no, ther HAS TO BE a /c chat like cannel. If commanders can not communicate with each other, it will just be a spam of random missions that dont work well together, quickly making players realize the uselessness of the mission system, causing the entire game to become one giant zerk without any sense of global strategy.

the ability to write to everyone, means /comxy, should also stay in, but have some limitations. Counter globalling needs to stop, there should be a chosen one to write to everybody. /comxy can go away without much tears if the mission system is capable of giving players easy and fast directions, while allowing to go very deep into detail to plan complex strategys, including nessesary micro managment.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Volw
First Sergeant

That's what we have 'commander' tree now. So people who 'command' will have access to globals etc.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion