Weapons, Attachments, Function - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I don't think you're happy enough
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-14, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tool
Master Sergeant

Weapons, Attachments, Function

Aside from what's been said about weapon variants in the videos, (ie. fire rate and accuracy changes) how do people feel about physical attachments on weapons, what do they hope are included as attachments or are not included and how do you all think they should function with regards to enviorment and player effects/changes?

What type of weapons do you hope to see and use?

To clarify the last question and an example, a flashlight attachment which could perhaps breifly blind players in close quarters. Just an example mind you.

So what do you hope is in or not in?

Grenade Launchers
Flashlights
Smoke Grenades
Bipods
Etc.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Weapons, Attachments, Function

If they're taking the COD/BF path of attachments then i hope i can get a red dot sight, front grip, increased mag.

also your flashlight blinding people gave me an idea...DARKLIGHT LIGHT ON THE GUN!
Old 2011-07-14, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'm pretty much fine with anything but a grenade attachment.

Well, a jammer grenade attachment wouldn't be too bad.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Moving to discussion, not really an idea "yet"

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-14, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

oh yeah equipable grenade launcher feels right , or red dot or reflex
Old 2011-07-14, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sirisian
Colonel

Yeah I still want my punisher. My favorite weapon in the game since it required a lot of skill to use. I'll gladly place skill points to unlock the 203 like feature.
Old 2011-07-18, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
If they're taking the COD/BF path of attachments then i hope i can get a red dot sight, front grip, increased mag.

also your flashlight blinding people gave me an idea...DARKLIGHT LIGHT ON THE GUN!
A darklight scope or something instead of an implant, nifty.
Old 2011-07-18, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

I actually really like the "beam of light" darklight idea, moreso than a darklight scope. It'd really feel like you were scanning the room...
Old 2011-07-18, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

There already is a grenade launcher attachment in PS, it's called the Punisher!

But in all seriousness since we can now put attachments on our weapons I wouldn't like to see a Grenade Launcher equip to an MCG with extended mags.

I would like alternate scopes and sights though. Nothing else really comes to mind. Maybe some flair we can put on our guns like our Outfit name for example.

And a flash light that shines "darklight" would be awesome. Have it only be compatible if you had the Darklight implant. Imagine walking through a base with the gen down (assuming it's a lot darker this time) searching for anyone still hiding in the base and having a Cloaker jump out at you. I'd totally get Darklight again just for that rush.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-18, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tool
Master Sergeant

How do people feel about smoke grenades? If implemented properly, not spammable, limited, etc. There were many situations in PS1 where I felt a smoke grenade would come in handy.

Also, does anyone think the Thumper should make a return? I was thinking about this a bit and had to remind myself that with new cert trees, they may not be abundant but in that case they may have to be powerful enough to warrant their use. Fairly uncertain about it.
Old 2011-07-18, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
How do people feel about smoke grenades? If implemented properly, not spammable, limited, etc. There were many situations in PS1 where I felt a smoke grenade would come in handy.

Also, does anyone think the Thumper should make a return? I was thinking about this a bit and had to remind myself that with new cert trees, they may not be abundant but in that case they may have to be powerful enough to warrant their use. Fairly uncertain about it.
I see issues with performance arising given the appropriate abundance of smoke grenades. I don't know exactly how much performance a machine requires to render a simple particle effect given off by smoke, but given the massive scale and how smoke tends to linger around for awhile it could be disastrous.

Sure the Thumper could make a return, if they balance it properly. As it stands now the thing's a spam cannon that nullifies any fun left in the game and creates boring back and forth spam fests. Perhaps if they reduced the clip, RoF and damage of the grenades it wouldn't be so bad. I'd imagine we'd get SA in some capacity in PS2.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-18, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I'm for all sorts of weapon attachments, as long as you can't fit everything all at once.
Multiple scope options, to fit with the ability to go with the marksman or CQB version of the gun.

A silencer for people trying to hide from radar or whatever.
Laser designators for artillery pieces
I'm ok with a the non-existence of a punisher and the addition of a under-slung grenade thing. Perhaps make the punisher not require an extra cert for it.
Personally I love the under-barrel shotgun in BC2.
I like the idea of smoke...but you'll hit performance problems very easily with many people.

A darklight beam sounds awesome.
For balance perhaps one thing on top, one thing on bottom? So scope + nade but not nade + DL beam, because both would go on the bottom.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-18, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Traak
Colonel

Attachment? A Punisher that isn't so lame, and has a grenade clip.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-07-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

All these attachments have to give some sort of a negative effect when using them, otherwise it favors vets over newbs and the game gets unbalanced.

-Silencer reduces dmg
-Red dot reduces CoF but increases ADS speed
-Reflex scope reduces ADS but increases CoF
-Increased magnification scopes reduce ADS speed, decreased CoF, and also have delays when switching between magnifications
-grip decreases CoF but also reduced sprint duration or clip size?
-grenade launcher has painfully slow reload, reduced run speed, reduced sprint duration, reduced clip size, increased CoF, and increased ADS speed (is that good enough for balance?)
-dark light attachment shows cloakers, only works for limited period of time, and has some negative effect to gun usage.

All of these attachments will have class limitations I assume, in which case the negative aspects of equipping them could be reduced.
Old 2011-07-18, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
All these attachments have to give some sort of a negative effect when using them, otherwise it favors vets over newbs and the game gets unbalanced.

-Silencer reduces dmg
-Red dot reduces CoF but increases ADS speed
-Reflex scope reduces ADS but increases CoF
-Increased magnification scopes reduce ADS speed, decreased CoF, and also have delays when switching between magnifications
-grip decreases CoF but also reduced sprint duration or clip size?
-grenade launcher has painfully slow reload, reduced run speed, reduced sprint duration, reduced clip size, increased CoF, and increased ADS speed (is that good enough for balance?)
-dark light attachment shows cloakers, only works for limited period of time, and has some negative effect to gun usage.

All of these attachments will have class limitations I assume, in which case the negative aspects of equipping them could be reduced.
Those seem like fairly stiff penalties, perhaps a better solution is wider availability, less time to obtain preferred attachments?

The Punisher was a decent weapon, even better with auto-reload off
But compared to ESMA, and I thought it just looked satan aweful, I didn't use it much nor saw it used often by others. Its integrated grenade launcher worked pretty well and I dont think many people, if anyone, had any gripes when it was used against them.

When I imagine a Guass with a grenade launcher though.....pain
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion