PS1 Cosmetic Armor - Original Low Poly/Texture vs Updated - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This...this isn't real?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you prefer Low or High quality throwback armor?
I want it JUST like it was in the first Planetside! 6 3.77%
I want to see it updated with higher quality to match Planetside 2! 125 78.62%
I don't care so long as I can have a throwback! 28 17.61%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-12, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zekeen
Major

PS1 Cosmetic Armor - Original Low Poly/Texture vs Updated

In the FPSGuru interview, I noticed TRay talking about the cosmetic possibility to purchase a PS1 armor with Low Polygon Count and Low Resolution Textures.

Now, I thought this was awesome. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the PS1 armor sets. I felt each armor looked really freaking cool, in design, model, and texturing colors. I loved them. But then I wondered - Does a Low Polygon and Low Resolution Texture Armor BELONG in the game? With such new high graphics, would it destroy immersion much? This is why I created this poll.

This is not for whether or not we want this, but HOW we want this. Rather than leaving the armor in classic style, should they update it to High Polygon, High Resolution to make it fit in the game more proper? Having a throwback would be so cool.... but it might clash with the high definition world. So I wanna see what the community thinks. All my fellow PS1 vets, and I suppose all you green recruits coming in for PS2 fresh...

Is it better to keep the old armor as is? OR ask them to update the polgy gon count and textures? (DO NOTE: This does not mean modernizing and changing, just making it all pretty, polished, and ready for combat in a very intense graphical world)

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-05-12 at 02:43 AM.
Old 2012-05-12, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SixShooter
Captain

Re: PS1 Cosmetic Armor - Original Low Poly/Texture vs Updated

I think that throwback armor would look pretty cool but low rez would look completely out of place. The new armor looks fuckin awesome with so much detail and having a bunch of PS1 low res solid color looking soldiers would stand out like a sore thumb. Nostalgia is great but it has to fit in, otherwise you might as well be wearing a clown suit with a giant target painted on you. I feel like if it was put in the game that it would need to be updated to feel like it belonged.

Old 2012-05-12, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Definitely update the armor. When he announced that in the interview I freaked out and then like 20 minutes later I was like wait WTF did he say low resolution low polygon count??

I agree throwbacks are gnarly and i want them! But they need to preserve the integrity of the game design.

It will look ridiculous to anyone who never played old Planetside to see low rez characters running around. Part of why they hire someone like T-ray is to create a unified and believable world with a unique and powerful design. Obviously Gameplay is king but this is still very important.

Having old Low resolution characters will completely ruin the beauty and integrity of forgelight and the awesome design work the team has accomplished in PS2. IMO.
Old 2012-05-12, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

There's also the fact that a lot of us PS1 vets REMEMBER that old armor as ULTRA HIGH POLYGON GRAPHICS WITH ULTRA HIGH RESOLUTION. Cause PS1 was so far ahead in it's day, it was all fresh, new, and better than anything else. Even if we got the old throwbacks, they wouldn't look the same.
Old 2012-05-12, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
There's also the fact that a lot of us PS1 vets REMEMBER that old armor as ULTRA HIGH POLYGON GRAPHICS WITH ULTRA HIGH RESOLUTION. Cause PS1 was so far ahead in it's day, it was all fresh, new, and better than anything else. Even if we got the old throwbacks, they wouldn't look the same.
Uh, really?
When I started playing it I felt it looked a little dated already. Not hugely so, but it was notably not quite on par with the real high-flyers of graphics at the time.

Unless you're talking about the 'Good Old Days' effect in which case you're probably right.

I definitely want an updated version of the old VS rexo helmet though .

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-05-12, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Toppopia
Major

If you guys want to talk about the good ol days, Nintendo 64, best console ever and some of its games paved the way for the multiplayer games that we see today, i would love to play my old Nintendo, but its controllers are bugged and i have clocked each game hundreds of times. But the main reason is because the controllers are almost unusable, thats how much i loved it.
Old 2012-05-12, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I'd like to see high quality classic armor sets.

Assuming this is the only thing they do for veterans I don't see why they couldn't give us some high quality classic armor skins to pay homage to the vets that played the original.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-05-12, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I have thought about this for a few minutes and at first I was Hell Yeah we need updated PS1 armor. But you know if you updated the PS1 armor, it really wouldnt be the same thing. Its like having a pair of awesome pants from high school, you put them on ten years later and damn they are so out of style but its something you could wear to a reunion and everyone would think its cool. So I change my vote from update to keep it classic.
Old 2012-05-12, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I'd rather have the originals, bit for bit, than an "updated" version that didn't match the look of the originals. More detail to round out curves better is fine, even adding subtle texture so we're not faced with flat colors, but I'd rather such updates didn't convert other aspects to match the new looks. I don't want to see flannel poking out under NC armor, no matter how much I love their new stuff. If it's classic, it should be classic, but higher poly and resolution.
Old 2012-05-12, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I'm fairly sure that if they included the old armor with the exact same poly count but new HD textures, it would match PS2's graphics pretty well.

It would still stand out (which is the point of buying a retro armor pack), but it would look like a boxy old car compared to a new model with some curves, upgrades, and new paint.
Old 2012-05-12, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

I'd like to see them return with updates graphics and maybe battle distressed

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-12, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
I'd like to see them return with updates graphics and maybe battle distressed
Definitely. I think some enhanced textures along with the new dynamic lighting and self-shadowing would go a long way to making the old armor look "classic" but still fit PS2's style.

As you mentioned, some battle marks and chipped paint (like most of the other guns/armor/vehicles has) would be a great addition to the old armor sets.

This pic does a good job of showing how even though the poly counts weren't that bad, it was mostly the muddy textures and lack of decent shadowing that made the old sets look so dated:

Old 2012-05-12, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
duomaxwl
Captain

I really hope to see some backpacks and arm/shin guards. That would just make me wet,er, wanting to spend money in their shop.
Old 2012-05-12, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

Injecting low poly/texture models into a new game as gorgeous as PS2 is the most moronic idea I have ever heard in my life.

People complain about suspension of disbelief and immersion with things like 3D tagging and vehicle animations... I can't imagine how distracting this would be.
Old 2012-05-12, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Duddy
First Sergeant

It would seem contrary to the point to add the original armours as a low polygon/resolution addition if not simply for the fact that it would quite jarring to see compared to the rest of the game.

That said they may have just meant "low" relative to the current armours, as opposed to really low.

I hope the old skins do make it in, certainly something I'd be want to get.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion