Squads - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Real life is over rated.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-21, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Athanasios
Corporal

Misc Info
Question Squads

Do we have any info about the size of the squads? Is it going to be fixed (eg. 4 squad members) or adjustable?

Also, if there are going to be any tools for easy comms between Squad Leaders? Eg. coordinated attackes with attack points/routes visible in the minimap of both squads would be very handy.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Re: Squads

0-10 man squads so far. At the moment i'm not sure if platoons will be back (3 x 10man squads)

Typically people join outfits (clans/guilds) and have comms to co-ordinated but there will also be a mission system for leaders to utilise.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-05-21 at 05:36 PM.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
KiddParK
Contributor
Captain

platoon leaders of decent rank (was it CR2?) could draw on the map and commanders of any rank could place up to four waypoints if i recall. We used to get CRAZY drawing all sorts of strat on the map for the different divisions, different outfits would designate different colors and such. Teamspeak was hopping.

Was there a PL chat where you could chat with everyone else who was running a platoon, or SL chat where you could do likewise? I'm having a tough time remembering but I'm old.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Athanasios
Corporal

Misc Info

Thanks, i wouldn't like PS2 to follow BF downhill (6 > 4 squads).

And yes, obviously clans use TS3 and other voip programs, but we're not going all to be in the same clan; so, coordinating something with another SL with a simple minimap-commands would be very helpful
Old 2012-05-21, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
At the moment i'm not sure if platoons will be back (3 x 10man squads)
I don't have the source, but I seem to recall them initially saying they were not in, then after some fan outcry they said they would probably add them.

I could be talking out my ass though.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
KiddParK
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I don't have the source, but I seem to recall them initially saying they were not in, then after some fan outcry they said they would probably add them.

YIKES.. no platoons would be rough. Though it would force people to find a way to use their VOIPS in order to organize more. Lord knows we made it work before platoons, and could again. It's just going to be a ton of work with that many people on the battlefield methinks.
Old 2012-05-21, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Platoons where only really handy for know where the members were.

It is hard really for me to be objective as i'm more of the opinion that you should be in an outfit so outfit squad and outfit comms etc. I think higby mentioned that you would see outfit members on the minimap.

If you have say an average sized outfit online in prime time you probably will have some 80 or 90 player to co-ordinated so platoons could help. Comms would have to be managed with the likes of teamspeak channels and channel commander.

So far as i'm aware the in game voip stuff allows for squads to form a voip channel to help you co-ordinate if you are running with randoms.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-22, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Squads will consist of 2 to 10 people. During the height of Planetside many outfits where able to easily make a platoon of 60 people( 3 squads ) since many outfits had 100 to 200 members. Heck some outfits had 300 to 600. However smaller outfits would join a platoon with other outfits.
Old 2012-05-22, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post

as far as im ware there is no platoons. Either way, i think your ass is right.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-22, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Furber
First Sergeant

I think I recalling hearing them mention Platoons in an interview not too long ago, though I have no idea which one it was.
Old 2012-05-22, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

Squads are 10 and platoons were part of our Q&A that will be released next week but nothing official on that.. yet

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-22, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Really
Private

Originally Posted by KiddParK View Post
platoon leaders of decent rank (was it CR2?) could draw on the map and commanders of any rank could place up to four waypoints if i recall. We used to get CRAZY drawing all sorts of strat on the map for the different divisions, different outfits would designate different colors and such. Teamspeak was hopping.

Was there a PL chat where you could chat with everyone else who was running a platoon, or SL chat where you could do likewise? I'm having a tough time remembering but I'm old.
People actually drew useful stuff with battleplans? I'm pretty sure we just used it for drawing cocks all over the place
Old 2012-05-22, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Toppopia
Major

Then you are a useless leader.

I wonder if they will go more detailed, like maybe placing symbols like a tank symbol to show that they want a tank there, would be cool to see your map with plane symbols moving on the map in relation to where commanders wanted them and where they actually were and stuff. Like a real war room. But with holograms.

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-05-22 at 01:32 AM.
Old 2012-05-22, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bags
Lieutenant General

10 people, T-Ray seemed to think platoons would be pointless with the new mission system, but I think we made them reconsider it.
Old 2012-05-22, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
10 people, T-Ray seemed to think platoons would be pointless with the new mission system, but I think we made them reconsider it.
yea, nice to be able to see people on your map, even outfit members, but that runs into problem with intra outfit ops. unless you can see everybody on a misson and make a mission private or you form some sort of task force for a mission or multiple missions which would essentially be a platoon anyway...are you following any of this?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion