What I Envision When I Think Planetside 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better your mom's new boyfriend then your dad's
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-10, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Steambot
Private

What I Envision When I Think Planetside 2

I picture an infiltrator in the middle of a desert. With a sniper rifle. Waiting on a canyon for any unwary travelers. It seems to me that whenever people start discussing PS2, they talk about the big battles surrounding buildings, and never the combat going on in the stretches of land between them. Obviously they won't be as active, but are there any word about it?
Old 2012-06-10, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Re: What I Envision When I Think Planetside 2

Just that every area will be contestable. A lot of people are focused on the big battles that will be happening around the bases and facilities. I feel like there will be fantastic opportunities for smaller engagements in the smaller cap points between the bases. 1 on 1 might be exceedingly rare but squad versus squad might happen once in a while. I see a lot of potential for various sized battles with this engine and the mechanics.

Makes me very happy
Old 2012-06-10, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
Just that every area will be contestable. A lot of people are focused on the big battles that will be happening around the bases and facilities. I feel like there will be fantastic opportunities for smaller engagements in the smaller cap points between the bases. 1 on 1 might be exceedingly rare but squad versus squad might happen once in a while. I see a lot of potential for various sized battles with this engine and the mechanics.

Makes me very happy
The addition of many, many alternate capture points besides the big main bases leads me to believe we will be seeing many, many "tower defense" type battles from PS1, but expanded, more chaotic, and with more readily available reinforcements. Personally, my computer and internet kinda sucked back in PS1 so I tended to stick with the smaller outlier battles for towers, backhacks, etc, while keeping an eye on the main zerg with flyovers/respawning with them before going back out. I liked flying around and sort of herding the battle, using my 35mm libby cannon to take out AMSs attempting to flank, tanks and such brought in from other bases for reinforcements, that sort of thing. It made a noticeable difference in battles.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

Faction alliances happen naturally in the game, there's no point in having an event for it, much less an XP bonus.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
  • VS NC alliance against TR for an hour (SOE blocks the ability for us to kill each other)
  • The TR have all weapons and vehicles unlocked during that hour.
  • All factions who participate get extra XP
Old 2012-06-10, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrMorton
Sergeant

I envision SOE being interactive with the playerbase. Keeping up rabbit events.

Like how about this event:
  • VS NC alliance against TR for an hour (SOE blocks the ability for us to kill each other)
  • The TR have all weapons and vehicles unlocked during that hour.
  • All factions who participate get extra XP
does anyone else hate this idea?

no offense, but it completely ruins the persistent "this is war" immersion of the game, replacing with a 'special event'

no offense, but I would rather it be, soe makes sure they are kicking all the hackers/exploiters, and VS defeated TR and NC in an epic battle, with all groups gaining bonus xp because their commanders were spamming missions to fight in the battle.

also you don't seem very open to constructive discussion....isn't that what a forum is for?

Last edited by MrMorton; 2012-06-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I envision me playing a game I've waited years for, with my mates, having a blast.

Cannot wait.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zulthus
Colonel

I see you envision being the wet blanket. You're Dark, that explains it. Always remembered your tiny outfit being big assholes.
Woah, woah woah. I don't know why you took my reply as hostile. Seeing most of what you say on the forums though, it's ironic that you're calling my outfit "big assholes". Did you get a good spankin' from us? Did we touch you in the wrong places?
Old 2012-06-10, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
RandomNPC
Corporal

Originally Posted by MrMorton View Post
no offense, but it completely ruins the persistent "this is war" immersion of the game, replacing with a 'special event'
I hate the idea of SOE making an event where VS and TR team up randomly. I love the idea of faction leaders being able to talk and discuss temporary alliances.
Old 2012-06-10, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Events are another topic
As a PS1 TR Cloaker who has some very fond memories of random 1 on 1 or small encounters, I know what you mean.

Now I love the unique coordination Planetside brings and will also be leading an outfit in PS2, but I gotta be a lone wolf once and a while.

I've covered a road with tons of combat engineering toys (mines, spitfires, etc.) just outside a big battle and drew people into it.

I've hunted for singular infantry or vehicles while cruising over continents in a skeeter.

I've gone into the heart of an enemy war between NC and VS and stalked people, waited till they where alone and ganked them.

The planning or effort doesn't always have a big pay off. But it's a unique thrill, doing so much for 1 kill, it can be more fun then killing some fodder on a front line in an epic battle.

But the epic battles are still epic, and that's what SOE needs to keep advertising.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-06-10 at 10:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I envision a battle spread across a continent, where I don't really matter at all. I can dick around in a corner somewhere, and it won't hurt my empire in the slightest. I can take any role I want, no matter if it's heavily needed by my empire or not. 20 snipers on a hill? I'll go join them and snipe as well. Why? Because I happen to feel like sniping, and it won't hurt my side the same way it would in a small arena shooter.

That isn't to say I have to not matter. At the same time, I can change the tide of the battle singlehandedly. But I don't have to. I have the freedom to contribute as much as I want, or be a total waste of space, and it's all good. No pressure, only opportunities.

It's a very easy environment to zen with and find your place on the battlefield.

I think I'll be communing with the sky, in my Scythe, for a majority of my playing time.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Troscus
Corporal

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I envision a battle spread across a continent, where I don't really matter at all. I can dick around in a corner somewhere, and it won't hurt my empire in the slightest. I can take any role I want, no matter if it's heavily needed by my empire or not. 20 snipers on a hill? I'll go join them and snipe as well. Why? Because I happen to feel like sniping, and it won't hurt my side the same way it would in a small arena shooter.

That isn't to say I have to not matter. At the same time, I can change the tide of the battle singlehandedly. But I don't have to. I have the freedom to contribute as much as I want, or be a total waste of space, and it's all good. No pressure, only opportunities.

It's a very easy environment to zen with and find your place on the battlefield.

I think I'll be communing with the sky, in my Scythe, for a majority of my playing time.
I've never heard battle describe so.. eloquently. I meditate often, and I think now I've found a way to incorporate gaming into it. Letting my mind wander on how open and free I am while flying next to you, bombing smurfs and elmos. Ah, I'm relaxed already.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Haro
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post

Makes me very happy
Not only that, but I think the terrain is a lot more interesting, at least with what we've seen on Indar. If I were a commander, I'd want to get out of bases in the canyons and start taking the fight to the cliffsides, launching ambushes and bottlenecking the enemy. A lot of people used to love bridge battles, if only because it broke up the general atmosphere of tower and base fights, and it was possible because the bridges were of such high strategic value. More interesting terrain + more capture points means fighting is going to get out of the bases and out in the field.

It's currently my most anticipated feature of PS2.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion