What are you going to suck at? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tribalwar.com: oops...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-01, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Piper
First Sergeant

What are you going to suck at?

Invariably with forums to do with a game like PS2, you'll get a small googolplex of posts about "Who's the best at [insert play-style]".

However, being English and it being a stereotype of ours it's more fun to get some self depreciation out of the way early on I always feel.

I was a cruddy Mossy pilot in PS1, started off average at the beginning on the game and got worse over time, to the point that I rarely bothered dog fighting by the end of my time. I sucked at inducing warping as well. Oh and remembering not to auto-click respawn when there were Advanced Medics about.

In PS2 I fully expect to be an awful Scythe pilot, it looking like it's going to take the most finesse of the three airchav to pull off. Light assault will have plenty of comedic, in a bad way, moments lined up with my name on the Jet-Pac. Hmm....I'll probably suck at sniping, but won't be the way I'll play the Infil' anyhoo.

Much of what I did with a degree of stubbornness if not skill in PS1 has been cut from PS2, so will have to discover what else has my suck written all over it in due course.

So, anyone else want to 'fess up?
Old 2012-08-01, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kalledorn
Private

Re: What are you going to suck at?

I never played PS1 but from what I have a history of doing, I know I will probably crash more then a few Reavers for the NC.

Flight Sim games are great fun to me but I do have a tendency to get overconfident and start flying under bridges and all that. Most of that does not go well for me and I definitely can see that happening in PS2.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Nothing.

Most likely i would be a below average lightning driver, but only because i would barely use it.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
dafuq
First Sergeant

im gonna suck at losing
Old 2012-08-01, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Atlas
Private

Originally Posted by Piper View Post
However, being English and it being a stereotype of ours it's more fun to get some self depreciation out of the way early on I always feel.

In PS2 I fully expect to be an awful Scythe pilot, it looking like it's going to take the most finesse of the three airchav to pull off.
Airchav...Brilliant terminology .

For myself, i think Air-chavving will be a problem area too...The only flight game i was ever any good at was the Jump To Lightspeed SWG expansion. I was a good transport pilot in BF2142 too, but couldnt fly the gunship worth a poop. Didnt do much flying in PS as i really didnt enjoy it that much.

Basically, anything that relies on mobility/speed as a defense im generally pretty crap at (Everything from speed tanking/interceptor flying in EVE, to light Core's in Armored Core or Stealth/Agility based classes in skill based RPGs like Dark Souls), so that probably means i should stay away from fast attack aircraft x2, buggies, ATV's and Light Assault
Old 2012-08-01, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

No way for me to answer this, I don't plan to be bad at anything. I'll probably start on the low end of the learning curve for flying, but that doesn't mean I won't be able to do substantial damage and get away when I need to.

Compared to hardcore snipers, I may not be incredible, but at least I'll be sure not to use the laser sight so enemies can't track my squad based on my laser.

Spotting enemies at a distance may be a bit of a challenge. If I see a green triangle behind a silhouette, I may mistake it for a friendly instead of an enemy with a friendly behind them. Used to happen a lot with Combat Arms, though the team colors weren't very pronounced in that game. When in doubt, mash Q.

Beyond that, I'm a beast with tanks and pretty good with infantry. Based on my experiences at E3 and PS2 Community Day, the Lightning and Magrider are obvious choices for me.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Probably aircraft and CQC combat. Regarding the latter however, I'm going by PS1, which basically amounted to bring an HA weapon or die. I never really brought an HA weapon to CQC.

The former will just be spending some time getting used to flight, being aware of my surroundings without relying on 3rd person like a ninny, and still being capable in a fight.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Piper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Airchav...Brilliant terminology .
A later patch in PS1 combined certain cert's into bundle's. You could get the Mosquito and Reaver for one 5 points cert called "Air Cavalry".

I won't take credit for airchav'. But given the way people didn't tend to like the cheese factor of Reaver rocket spam and the insane sniper line accuracy of the Mos's 12mm nose-gun it soon took hold as a term of less than endearment for those that did nothing but fly both.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lumberchuk
Corporal

Probably gonna suck at having a life :P

But gameplay wise I will start by sucking at most infantry weapons (as i get used to them) then later on I expect to suck at infiltrator as I will be playing it the least. I'll probably suck at driving magriders too since they have a different driving style and I won't get much practice playing NC
Old 2012-08-01, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Not taking chances. I tend to be a daredevil at heart, gets me into a whole mess of fun. I'll fail a lot, but I'll also pull off some daring feats more than those who are not so daring, because I try a lot, because I'm tenacious!

Infiltrating and Scythe flying. Here. I. Come.

Americans tend to turn weaknesses into strengths
Old 2012-08-01, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sunrock
Major

Well I have not played Planetside but I played BF2 and BF3.... And if BF and PS have anything in common with controlling infantry, tanks, air... I will rock with the tank be slightly above average as infantry and totally suck at fast air combat but I rock the attack chopper in BF3.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
snaffe
Sergeant

I'm planning on being an awful pilot just like the op.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
LordNeko
Private

Infiltration. I've always had a knack for being sneaky, but also have the amazing luck to always have the target in question just randomly turn and look my way. This is usually followed by a shotgun blast and my demise.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
therandomone
Sergeant

Alright, I'll probably suck with my infiltrator at first until I really learn the ins and outs with him. I don't mean sniping wise. I mean, I'm gunna be that guy humming the jaws theme song as I try to approach you from behind for an assassination. It will probably be incredibly difficult but extremely rewarding.

Also, I can see myself flying a Scythe like a coked up ADD 12 year old....and we'll see how that goes.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Psyche
Private

Given that I'll likely be TR and the NC were given exclusive use of the Reaver leaving us with the Mosquito as our primary Air Fighter , I expect to be sucking at AirCav too despite a substantial amount of experience with Flight Sims & Flight/Space combat games.

But then again, maybe SOE might make the mosquito a 'Mustang' [World War 2 fighter with 6 forward machineguns - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...n_P-51_Mustang] so I can Pwn NC in their 'Dev's love you' Exclusive Reavers, it would be fitting to do it with a modernised 'antique' design given how NC are supposed about the 'New way' and all with TR about tradition/old way. Then we'd see how great NC's 'New way' really is facing a 'Proven' & so called obselete design.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion