AI/NPCs - Possible Implementations and Their Effects - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just add water for instant fun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-10, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zekeen
Major

AI/NPCs - Possible Implementations and Their Effects

I've recently seen a lot talk and fear/hope with the idea of AI appearing in Planetside 2. A lot of veterans believe that the only AI that belongs in Planetside 2 is a knee high turret, but some are open to the idea thinking that the devs could do it right.

Right now, we have NO idea what the devs have had floating around their office of awesomeness but one thing is for certain - The devs have yet to rule against AI, which means they have a good enough look into it to think it could potentially add to the game in some way and until they have the time and resources after releasing Planetside 2, they dont have enough evidence against adding AI in some form.

So, I'm going to present a few ways AI could be added, would never be added, and what effects they would have with the game to prevent them from being added in, or even cause them to be put in good position to get added.

This isn't presenting ideas or saying what they should add, this is to discuss and look at what the devs COULD be planning.

Wildlife - A simple idea. Little animals and herbavores running around all happy gobbling up flowers. It would NEVER get added in. There would be no real point to them, they would be fragged the nano second they spawned, and it would destract from the middle of battle. Who could resist blowing something cute and cuddly to peices?

AI Soldiers - Little commandable troops for the RTS nuts. Never going to be done. Planetside has always, and always will be, about players in place of AI. This would go against it.

4th Empire/Aliens - This has a bit of possibility, if only because Planetside 1 had the Black Ops. Some were for it, a lot against it, and most just didn't see the point. An alien menace would be something to fight while fighting 2 other factions. We're already going to be up to our eyeballs in explosions, bullets, lasers, and shell casings, it wouldn't add much, even as a random event of an alien mothership. Posibility is low.

Aggressive Wildlife - This has a lot more merit than herbavores. It creates a conflict that could happen in between battles. Maybe even for a specific continent where you are in danger of being attacked if you attack from a certain route. An environmental hazard to attack an enemy at a weak point. It could even be something crazy like a Dune sized sandworm that's invincible and must be outrun. Maybe even tactics of luring beasts toward the enemy. It has a moderate chance due to possibilities without being too much.

Assist Drones - This has a higher chance than others. The idea of having something like a mobile assisting unit to aid you. There is a variety of implementations of this. A less likely one would be a weaponized drone, a mobile spitfire that hovers beside you with less accuracy, power, and rate of fire. Another more likely is an engineer assist drone. Imagine if you could direct a drone to repair a MAX in another hallway without exposing yourself to fire. A final, more flashy concept, is a drone carrier of some sort. A vehicle with short ranged support drones that aid it in a general area. It could be a repair vehicle of some sort, so it's not just area of effect, or again, spitfire drones that shoot at all enemies in an area. There's a lot of ways to balance this with a lot of potential uses, so I'd say this variation has a good chance.

Autopilot - This one could be either really likely, or really unlikely. It would be to let an autopilot take over your vehicle for whatever reason - easier flight to a waypoint or even to fly while you man another position. Perhaps have your liverator on autopilot and take over the gunner seat so you can bomb with it? The effect of one man bombers being able to do so much damage shows that this, in it's entirety is VERY unlikely. There's a posibility for autopilot only while in the cockpit though, so that can't be fully ruled out.

That's some of the basic possibilities, but the others could even be going a step further beyond basic additions and alter gameplay itself directly.

Titan Style - Maybe 3 AI controlled motherships, one for each faction, appear as assisting bases. Preprogrammed to move, so it's all fair and no player has complete control over it. Having to jump in and destroy it or delay it to an objective. Maybe even just being a floating/shielded air deployment station for ease of assault - keep alive as long as possible. This has a good chance because it disrupts the flow of battle without reducing it or adding too much, just altering it for some added fun.

Alien Bugs - Ok, this thought process is going quite far from the rest, but bear with it. The devs are thinking up something tricky and clever, and could even be going on this path. There is a reason this isn't with aggressive wildlife. Planetside is very influenced by Starship Troopers, and while armies of bugs would destroy framerates, kill servers, and lag up the game - who WOULDN'T want to kill a hoard of bug like aliens as NC, TR, or VS? The game will support around 2000 players per map and with it free to play, there is always the possibility of it being in excess play numbers. It could be possible that eventually, they could look into allowing Planetside 2 to have a the global warfare that Planetside 1 had, and include instanced missions that support the global agenda of your faction. It could be PvP, PvE, or more likely, PvPvE. There is a low possibility of this however, due to the complication and separation from basic PS gameplay style. There is a high chance devs have been thinking on it though, they think on everything.

I'm sure there are more that could be done, but my brain hurts from poping these out. The devs are looking into something though, and it's hard to say what. It seems that with Smeds comments though, that they will be taking an extensive look into AI post release of PS2. We can only imagine what they are thinking.

Anyone else got an idea of what potentially crazy ideas for the AI that the devs might be thinking of? From the amazing to the insane, all ideas are good to see, for we cannot even comprehend half of those insane minded devs.
Old 2012-08-10, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: AI/NPCs - Possible Implementations and Their Effects

This is Scout Seargent Cyrus requesting that the Holy Prometheum Flamers be released from the Chapter's armory to be set loose upon this thread. Burn the heretics!
Old 2012-08-10, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gugabalog
Major

Kill the Xenos!
Old 2012-08-10, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MayPeX
Private

Xenos and heretics and monsters!

Spess Mehreens! Todai TEH ENEMIE is ar arr DOAH! Wee no arr duti an wee wil doo eet!

Wee fyyght fhor arr honna! As blood raavins, ass Spess Mehreens! An wee fyght in da nammme off TEH EMPRAH!
Old 2012-08-10, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

I would really rather them not have AI, but if it has to be done, it could be in the form of an "event", twice annually (or something like that), aliens (bugs?) coming to Auraxis. Maybe the factions would even need to team up to repel them (although treachery would still be an option).
Old 2012-08-10, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mauser101
Sergeant

A possobility that goes along with wildlife would be an npc population of civilians if they ever decide to give us the real urban map we've always wanted. Cowering civies moving amongst the rubble a hive city. You get grief (our whatever negative they eventually add for friendly fire) if you hit them. I'm thinking the airport scene from COD: MW2 but without the sociopathic glee of murdering innocents (for Germany's sake).

Would probably add a framerate hit in the order of a starship troopers bug swarm. Could probably manage with low polygon character models though.

Could even add in some old counter strike fun with hostage rescue strike missions added to the mix.

Don't flame me, I'm just brainstorming and trying not to be biter about having an active sub and still not getting in beta.

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com

Last edited by Mauser101; 2012-08-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 2012-08-10, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
I would really rather them not have AI, but if it has to be done, it could be in the form of an "event", twice annually (or something like that), aliens (bugs?) coming to Auraxis. Maybe the factions would even need to team up to repel them (although treachery would still be an option).
This. 100%
Old 2012-08-10, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tzitzimitl
Private

I recall higby saying that he wanted to add wildlife (dont ask for the source because i dont remember) but personally i am against most AI as this is a pvp game. The only AI that would be acceptable would be turret/drone AI and the alien event. The reason I dont believe AI such as wildlife should be added is that it would detract from the main focus of the game as well the technical aspect which could limit the amount of players on a continent.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

I want them to add naval warfare between continents... and then for there to be sharks
Old 2012-08-11, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Noon
Private

Some AI Turrets around bases wouldn't be to bad. Their only purpose should be to harass aircraft, and infantry. Would make it a little harder for a solo squad to roll in on an empty base and cap it.

I also would like some actual 'environment' things. Canyons, crevices, sandstorms, pitfalls, deep snow, thin ice, quicksand (allot to ask for, so I won't expect any of them (but it still would be neat)) things of that nature. Maybe add in some random minefields to really spice things up.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

lol @ random mine fields...

I'm an ex combat engineer, so you know what one of my jobs on the field will be

oh there'll be mine fields, just not quite so random

but yes, yes, absolutely YES.

Environmental hazards all the way. It'd be a lot to ask for, but so's everything else I want this game to become

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-11 at 03:06 AM.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I have to say and its a bit off topic but I for one would LOVE to have the choice to play as a 4th alien Empire that doesn't use guns.

Notable games that have done something like it (fail or not) are. Wolfteam and Natural Selection 1 & 2

Facing down a MAX as a ONOS or Guardian might be fun.
Old 2012-08-11, 06:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

^^^
Keep worshiping the corpse god.

On Topic:
Automated defense turrets that can be taken control of (hacked or taking manual control by player via a terminal).
Maybe support NPC taht make bases look more alive.

And Of course wild Snarlaks roaming the worlds.
Old 2012-08-11, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

i want titans like in bf2142 and wildlife for immersion, thats it :>
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion