Why fight for territory? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ignore the environment, it will go away.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-10, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cheetah
Private

Why fight for territory?

I'm new to planetside, so I'll formulate this aspect as a range of questions, to hear what players think mostly from PS1 I guess, but of course also from PS2 and what we got so far...

I wonder, what keeps people interested and excited about one's faction having the territorial domain? Is it purely pride and getting high from one's colour on the map? Are there radically more rescourses and gameplay possibilities to dominate, when controlling more territory (rescourses)? Is it really not that important, the game itself is thrilling enough by only being about the actual combat? Are there a hidden dream in every player, about gaining as close to complete territory control as possible (has it ever happened in PS1)? Or are there any other elements, you think keep players hooked on gaining territory?

Last edited by Cheetah; 2012-08-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 2012-08-10, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
USD
Private

Re: Why fight for territory?

You'll learn.
Old 2012-08-10, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
I'm new to planetside, so I'll formulate this aspect as a range of questions, to hear what players think mostly from PS1 I guess, but of course also from PS2 and what we got so far...

I wonder, what keeps people interested and excited about one's faction having the territorial domain? Is it purely pride and getting high from one's colour on the map? Are there radically more rescourses and gameplay possibilities to dominate, when controlling more territory (rescourses)? Is it really not that important, the game itself is thrilling enough by only being about the actual combat? Are there a hidden dream in every player, about gaining as close to complete territory control as possible (has it ever happened in PS1)? Or are there any other elements, you think keep players hooked on gaining territory?
PS1: Yes, the map has been completely taken over several times on the different servers over the years.

PS2: Pride, Wargame, and NDA
Old 2012-08-10, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Flacracker
Private

To win.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
PS1: Yes, the map has been completely taken over several times on the different servers over the years.

PS2: Pride, Wargame, and NDA
NDA?

oh FFS I'll tell him...

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Different territories provide different resources and or tactical advantages.

That's not NDA... any DETAILS would be NDA.

BTW: What are you fighting over in battlefield or CoD? Right... nothing...

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-10 at 07:19 PM.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Boone
Sergeant

I still believe there should be some sort of "win" factor once a month or something. It could just track points like Guild Wars 2 WvW does. I dunno, I feel it would give your faction a long term goal. I dunno.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
BTW: What are you fighting over in battlefield or CoD? Right... nothing...

Actually, you are fighting over who wins and who loses.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Boone View Post
I still believe there should be some sort of "win" factor once a month or something. It could just track points like Guild Wars 2 WvW does. I dunno, I feel it would give your faction a long term goal. I dunno.
It's a never ending war though.....

You can 'win' a continent anyways

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
Actually, you are fighting over who wins and who loses.
in 1 small pointless battle that's meaningless
Old 2012-08-10, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SFJake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Flacracker View Post
To win.
But the game never ends, not even for a second. Apparently continents can't even fully be captured (last I read?).

Whats to win? That incentive is seriously underestimated by the PS1 players. There isn't even a semblance of a true victory, which is a huge incentive this game refuses to add.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Flacracker
Private

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
But the game never ends, not even for a second. Apparently continents can't even fully be captured (last I read?).

Whats to win? That incentive is seriously underestimated by the PS1 players. There isn't even a semblance of a true victory, which is a huge incentive this game refuses to add.
Im sure once you take over all the area you can you will see something on the website or in the game "Terran Republic took over the whole continent of Indar or whatever it is called, They win!" And then it resets.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Flacracker View Post
Im sure once you take over all the area you can you will see something on the website or in the game "Terran Republic took over the whole continent of Indar or whatever it is called, They win!" And then it resets.
No....

There's 3 continents (at launch)

If you're faction takes a continent... well, all but the landing zone hexes... then your faction holds that continent.

You've still got 2 more continents to fight over. AND at ANY TIME OF DAY another faction can storm the landing zone and start trying to occupy territories... UP TO NEARLY 700 OF THEM... oh no... it's NEVER over.

I mean... is this next generation so spoon fed fake digital "rewards" that they need some superficial video game victory screen to feel good about their gaming session?

THE POINT OF THE GAME IS THE GAME ITSELF

To that end holding territory increases your Factions resource generation... allowing your faction to field MORE tanks, buy MORE weapons & Accessories, and run with Implant upgrades more often.

How is that not incentive to gain and hold territory?

bloody hell.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-10 at 07:43 PM.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Some of us just find pleasure in killing anyone wearing Red or Purple.
Thats why I fight,to bleed my enemies.
Is there really a better reason ?
Old 2012-08-10, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Resources

Grudge matches

Stats

Individual bases and outposts

Take your pick

It never ends, for me the hook is playing with guys i've played along side for near on a decade, killing those enemies i've been killing for just as long.

In planetside 1 the world was capped a handful of times by different factions but the fight never ever stopped as even baseless the enemy would still be pushing back out of their home warpgates to take that initial base.

Can't comment on the current mechanics as.. All i'll say is that currently i feel ps2 will lack that hook that planetside had to have some people average 30 playing hours a week for 9 years.

Time will tell.

No use comparing a planetside game to round based fps games they don't even hold a candle to the planetside universe. In round based games you don't get the same community attachment and all you are doing it repeating the same fights every 5minutes where as in planetside you may not fight in the same area for months or you could be fighting over the same couple of bases for days.

To add: Join a good tight outfit (zergfits are bad mmmkay). Outfit events are some of the best fun i've had in a fps. From max unit only nights to ant demolition derby's on the roof of the sanctuary hart buildings. Outfit bring it all to a personal level (if you like that kinda thing) celebrating marriages, births. Supporting members through tragedy and upset. They take that leap from clan to community and a good ones last through everything.

** Anyone wanting to end this persistent universe should be shot and fed to the COD/BF Kiddies. Locking conts? Yes please. Cont resets? NO never and NO

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-08-10 at 08:08 PM.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
in 1 small pointless battle that's meaningless
More meaningful than PS2 at least.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Can't comment on the current mechanics as.. All i'll say is that currently i feel ps2 will lack that hook that planetside had to have some people average 30 playing hours a week for 9 years.

Time will tell.
I wouldn't worry too much....

There's a LOT on the drawing board yet to be added
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion