Driver/gunner survey. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't look down, don't look down!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-18, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

Driver/gunner survey.

http://www.screator.net/showform.php?f=1480137354

Hopefully this survey can settle once and for all how players feel about this issue, an issue which is still pretty darn hot. I've tried to make the questions neutral and provided agreement scales with "statements" and questions. Statements are based on subjective commentary as argued by either side.

To not lead the person taking the survey, statements from both sides have been used.

If you have any comments or critique, please provide them here. However, since it's been published now, I won't alter the actual options or questions on this particular survey anymore.

EDIT: Annoyingly, upon inspecting the initial results, all the scaled results are only available in the excel file where I have to count them individually because the automated charts all show "100%" on everything right now as the basic chart/graph generator treats the question as a single option (so yeah... 100% answered the questions, but I can't tell if they agreed or not immediately without doing my own count in the excel sheets... Great.).

Contacting their support center for some help on this matter.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-09-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 2012-09-18, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
HellsPanda
Corporal

Re: Driver/gunner survey.

Well like most survey's this seemed to weight towards one side of the case. And are you the only one who gets access to the full survey?
Old 2012-09-18, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

I haven't had a look at your servey yet but I've been thinking about starting a post ....

My post would have been along the lines of... a) we've all had our say about the topic but now you have had a change to play, how do you feel b) how do you feel about how tha tank battles are conducted c) what would improve tank battles..... and so on.

I'll go do your survey now.

I've done it .....
I found this question hard to answer "The driver is responsible for threat detection and target selection." for me, the driver is responsible for threat detection and the gunner for target selection, or primarily so as often the roels are shared.

Answering my own question:
I find driving the prowler better than I thought it would be. The upgrades are great and the audio is atmospheric.
I still think the drawback for the driver-gunner are too large and I don't see 'good' tank teams the way you used to see them in PS1.

A lot of tank engagements appear to happen at extreme range (possibly due to vunerability and leathality of infantry AV weapons). And I don't see any tactical manoevres such as flanking, although to be fair the south of the continent doesn't lend itself to that very much.

Most tank engagements are: advance a little, shoot, retreat and little for the reload, advance a little, shoot .... and so on.

I think the ideal would be to give the driver a gun but give the gunner the main gun. As someone who would spawn a tank and spend the resources, I'd be happy with that.

Last edited by ringring; 2012-09-18 at 09:34 AM.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I absolutely love driving and gunning. But also I love being the secondary gunner mowing down infantry and killing airplanes. They definitely have tanks right in ps2.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by HellsPanda View Post
Well like most survey's this seemed to weight towards one side of the case.
Please explain, I've tried to make it as neutral as possible, I'm interested in what you find biased about the setup.

And are you the only one who gets access to the full survey?
Unfortunately by default, yes I am. I will however provide the excel output file (either as .xls or .csv) to whoever is interested.

For the basic questions the site creates very nice graphs. The output of the longer lists of questions as stated above seems bugged as it just says 100% to everything.

In my next post I'll provide a first result after 27 survey takers.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

After 27 votes:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

Question 6:

Question 7:

Question 8:

Question 9:

Alright, managed to find a way to convert the .csv to proper excel files. First results in for 27 votes (need to process manualy).

Edit: Aaaand of course now photobucket has issues, thus had to relocate to imageshack... >.<

Last edited by Figment; 2012-09-18 at 12:29 PM.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

Initial results updated. Note that I had to fix an error in question 9 which I only noticed after four people already filled in Neutral/Disagree (which should have been separate options). Since I can't determine if they were neutral or disagreed, I left those in.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-09-18 at 12:37 PM.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Dude, if I complete that do I get some kind of coupon or something?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-09-18, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
bullet
First Sergeant

Did you post this on the PS2 forums as well or only here? If its only posted here, you're probably going to get a biased response. :P
Old 2012-09-18, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Did you post this on the PS2 forums as well or only here? If its only posted here, you're probably going to get a biased response. :P
Definitely.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-09-18, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

I'd rather keep the MBT's as they are but later on in PS2's life introduce a new tank for each faction that does have that driver/gunner setup.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Aye, it probably be a bit skewed will since the PS1 playerbase ratio is a bit higher here (you can tell from the initial poll results as well).

Haven't posted it in a separate thread on PS2, since polling the playerbase for game changes and all is against SOE forum policy. So although I'd like to, I don't think I can post it on the official forums. Hence I sent the link to Higby a few hours ago in hopes he'll tweet it or something. :/

*crosses fingers*

Last edited by Figment; 2012-09-18 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2012-09-18, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Aye, it probably be a bit skewed will since the PS1 playerbase ratio is a bit higher here (you can tell from the initial poll results as well).

Haven't posted it in a separate thread on PS2, since polling the playerbase for game changes and all is against SOE forum policy. So although I'd like to, I don't think I can post it on the official forums. Hence I sent the link to Higby a few hours ago in hopes he'll tweet it or something. :/

*crosses fingers*
post on reddit?
Old 2012-09-18, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
post on reddit?
Don't have a reddit account. If anyone wants to post it in other areas, I'm not stopping you.
Old 2012-09-18, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Don't have a reddit account. If anyone wants to post it in other areas, I'm not stopping you.
done
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...gunner_survey/

**edit reddit don't seem to be an old vet's haunt, you'll get more of a representative response, assuming people do respond that is.

Last edited by ringring; 2012-09-18 at 02:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion