The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Land of the free, Home of the Deadly
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place.

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
The Vanu Sovereignty feels that Vanu Tech is the key to human evolution, we are radicals not pacifists. The Vanu feel that the NC are too reckless and rather optimistic about the odds of their democracy actually working this time, and the TR have been incredibly strict on vanu tech and denying it to the public. VS feel that the tech belongs to humanity, and will ram it down your throats if they have to.

As for being the most technological advanced. Look at the weapons, energy based. In PS1 we didn't carry multiple types of ammo for armor piercing against MAX suits, every pulsar could instantly switch to AP mode while the other factions had to swap ammo. This applied to their AI MAX suit as well. Hover tanks flew over water and out flanked enemies at bridge battles, and Threshers chewed infantry ranks apart. Our AV weapon was an AV sniper rifle and our HA... Ask the TR and NC how much they loved the Lasher...

Also why don't we hide behind the NC? Why don't you hide behind that piece of cardboard?
This
Old 2012-06-04, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

I intend to play as VS and i can kindof see where youre coming from. Even not from a LORE or Plot hole stand point, the VS are abit weird.

And if anything is going to put off the COD and battlefieldiers, its the inclusion of lil purple alien type people for you to fight against.

Also from a balancing stand point, because theyre radically different they are opened up to a stream of nerfing and changes, because even something as simple as the Scythes boost in any direction ability (which is amazing if they keep it) may make them dominate the air entirely.

Generally though i think the VS is the strength of Planetside, i love a good bit of sci fi. And the whole threeway combat is what will keep the game feeling fresh for years to come.
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SpcFarlen View Post
I like the Vanu, but not in that way... Their technology is not all that different, just more progressed. Okay they can shoot lazers, we can do that even today though not as exciting. So i dont see why a group of people finding some alien tech couldnt reverse engineer it to then upgrade current system. Which is what we see the Vanu having.

You can look at all the experimental military gear thats designed today. When was the m16 made and why is the US still using it? Vanu are using this experimental gear where the TR and NC are more reserved because their gear works for them. If its not broke, why fix it? Or for the TR: If its not broke, slap another barrel onto it.
Putting it that way makes sense for the question of why aren't they as advanced.

The toys the Vanu create are still based on human design with human imagination but utilizing vanu technology, thus instead of a gun that shoots bouncy balls of death, it fires energy in a strait line (though the real vanu had weapons like maelstroms that blasted pure energy in a continues stream or fired bouncy balls of death).

Think of the tech tree as the Vanu taking a giant step sideways instead of forward. And they are still experimenting with what they have, the Scythe being (IMO) the latest and greatest of the new toys.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-06-04 at 10:05 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
Generally though i think the VS is the strength of Planetside, i love a good bit of sci fi. And the whole threeway combat is what will keep the game feeling fresh for years to come.
As much as some players may hate the VS, we all know deep down that they love shooting at us.

Just as much as we enjoy being outnumbered, and kicking their asses regardless.

Wait. Nobody likes being bitchslapped by a guy in purple. There may be a flaw in my hypothesis.
Old 2012-06-05, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

The destiny of the human species tilts toward ruin. Thousands of years of shortsightedness and provincial thinking have hampered its proper evolution. We plunge toward oblivion. Those able to comprehend the promise and potential of humanity will advance. They will usher the less gifted through the gateway of understanding and cleanse the taint of blindness, ignorance and mulishness from the species. We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light.
Old 2012-06-05, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
DesertFox
Private

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
Sorry, but it does. That would be like me never playing any Warcraft games then playing WoW and saying that Tauren seem out of place. I don't have any idea what I'm talking about and neither do you. Sorry to discredit everything you've said.....but yeah.
How dare the OP form an opinion of his own from whatever information is currently available to him?! He must have experienced years of VOIP roleplay while dressed in scantily clad clothes before even considering to form an opinion! The nerve he has!

--------

Personally, I don't really think that the Vanu seem all that out of place. The NC are a bunch of greedy corporate scumbags who are only interested in making $$$ and partying all night , at the cost of humanity's peace and progress, and being brainwashed by Cthulhu's cousin doesn't exactly make the VS compatible with the peace and order loving TR.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Troscus
Corporal

I personally went VS because I wasn't going to help space-Nazis and a few lines of text I read on the NC.

the unpredictable and ruthless tactics employed by the insurgent N.C.
they're not willing to say no to anything that might give them an edge
Led by an unusual quorum of outcasts, industry titans, pirates and former military leaders
All that paints a picture of terrifying war-mongerers who hide behind the term "freedom fighter" to justify their actions. With industry titans and pirates pulling the NC's strings, what do you think will happen if they win?

They'll become tyrants themselves.

So, since the TR oppresses everything and the NC is a powder keg of shortsightedness, I went VS, the only ones who seemed like they actually cared about humanity as a whole, rather than politics.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
EVILoHOMER
Major

Does Planetside have lore? I never noticed any story when playing the first game, just loved the big battles.
Old 2012-06-05, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yep it does:
http://www.planetside2.com/

You can find some of it on the official site

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-05, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
EVILoHOMER
Major

I didn't find much story but I did find this...

http://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-...ret-krohn-2012

See Vanu players are just so much better.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Troscus View Post
I personally went VS because I wasn't going to help space-Nazis and a few lines of text I read on the NC.

All that paints a picture of terrifying war-mongerers who hide behind the term "freedom fighter" to justify their actions. With industry titans and pirates pulling the NC's strings, what do you think will happen if they win?

They'll become tyrants themselves.

So, since the TR oppresses everything and the NC is a powder keg of shortsightedness, I went VS, the only ones who seemed like they actually cared about humanity as a whole, rather than politics.
Never trust an organization with a superiority complex so big it can be seen from space. Or who enjoy getting the odd telepathic mind screw from alien artifacts.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
LegioX
First Sergeant

I'm leaning towards VS. Maybe i can find a specialized air clan, that does nothing but flying.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Badjuju
First Sergeant

If you read lore from the original Planetside you will see that the NC actually declared war on VS as they didn't agree with their ways basically. This is why i don't agree with the notion that they are the good guys because they are hypocritically just as oppressive as the TR.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Badjuju
First Sergeant

and if I remember correctly, the VS look like they would be the villains, however they are the only faction that never declared war on anyone. They separated from the TR as they felt an attack by them was imminent, which pissed the TR off, and the NC strait up said we don't like your alien and human homoginization so I think we will try to kill you too.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Sirisian
Colonel

I mentioned this months ago, but it might be too late to do an empire reskin for the empire. Basically the problem I saw (playing as VS) was that the art design went too far. Basically you have the NC who look scrappy, but they aren't wearing tin. The TR are more professional, but they aren't overboard different. The VS on the other hand should have been just a little bit techy.

That is they needed a similar MAX to the TR design with bulky open overlapping armor with curves. Tank could have been a 2 tracked hover design (so jets instead of treads). The fighter could just had overlapping armor there also in a similar profile to the Reaver. The weapon designs could have stuck to the TR and NC theme with curved metal and energy magazines. Really just toning down the advanced tech would have gone a long way for making the 3 factions visually similar but distinct.

I posted now since my friend on IRC was like "I'm thinking TR or VS, but VS just looks so different". Not sure what he meant. He mentioned VS after I told him I was going to play VS so I'm not sure he was interested in VS until I mentioned it.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-06-05 at 08:04 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion