Why fight for territory? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Rolfcopters land here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Arrius
Private

Re: Why fight for territory?

When the big outfits start posting their massive battles on youtube there will be thousands of bf/cod players switching over.

Back in 2003 I was a selfish cod junkie in my prime who had to be #1 on the end of round stats and it all changed when I got PS. I joined a 80 man outfit and found out that just holding the line near an outpost felt better than getting a high deathmatch score.

One of the biggest underestimations is how meaningful the faction loyalty becomes. Add in loyalty to your outfit and if you have a few buddies in it then you won't be leaving the game anytime soon.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-11, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
+1

hopefully, when ps2 matures a little it will gain the same feeling...
We had a press day at the office a month ago or so. One of the press guys asked me the question about the neverending fight and what's the sense of accomplishment.

it's super hard to explain in words how much fun it is to take over a base after a 3 hour pitched battle. Until you've done one people don't get it. They are so used to playing round based FPS games that they can't think outside of that box.

To me the way we preach the gospel of Planetside 2 is free-to-play. I base most of my gaming habits on what my friends are playing. Sometimes I lead them to new games and a lot of the time it's the other way around. Some times I catch trends early and sometimes I'm the last guy to the party.

In this case if we make the game good enough (and we most certainly are) people will tell their friends and there will be no barrier to give it a try.
Old 2012-08-11, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
We had a press day at the office a month ago or so. One of the press guys asked me the question about the neverending fight and what's the sense of accomplishment.

it's super hard to explain in words how much fun it is to take over a base after a 3 hour pitched battle. Until you've done one people don't get it. They are so used to playing round based FPS games that they can't think outside of that box.

To me the way we preach the gospel of Planetside 2 is free-to-play. I base most of my gaming habits on what my friends are playing. Sometimes I lead them to new games and a lot of the time it's the other way around. Some times I catch trends early and sometimes I'm the last guy to the party.

In this case if we make the game good enough (and we most certainly are) people will tell their friends and there will be no barrier to give it a try.
That's ALREADY happening, sir. We vets are busy getting n00bs in. I know I am! I try to get new beta keys... I'm indoctrinating into the Vanu
Old 2012-08-11, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Iv got all my friends signed up for ye beta and from what they have seen they are exited about the game. I'm hopeing they tell their friends and so on. Lookig forward to get into the beta and see how thing work then really exited for release.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-11, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
That's ALREADY happening, sir. We vets are busy getting n00bs in. I know I am! I try to get new beta keys... I'm indoctrinating into the Vanu
Thank You!
Old 2012-08-11, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Hamma
PSU Admin

Make it TR then I will thank you AnamNantom

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-11, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

I'm trying to convince my friends it's worth buying a PC for.....

I did
Old 2012-08-12, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
I've played WW2 Online, that is an mmofps. Guess what? It has a winning team and a losing team.
Guess what? PS2 has these shiny things like 'XXX facility defended' and 'XXX base conquered'.

And I know WW2OL and also keeping my eyes on Heroes & Generals by ex-Hitman guys.

One last thing. Don't you think you're a bit overestimating the 'world reset' thing?
Old 2012-08-12, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

You are welcome! One day I might be actually working with you guys

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Make it TR then I will thank you AnamNantom
Funny thing is, the word of mouth snowball effect is bringing ppl in who are leaning that way too.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Harasus
Sergeant

Silly question: why fight? To stop the terrorist and wacko scientist scum from destroying what we have built here for hundreds of years!

:P
Old 2012-08-12, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

But from what we have seen, the bases are designed around the 10 minute round based FPS games. They are not set up for those epic 3 hour battles that we had in PS1.
Old 2012-08-12, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Harasus
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
But from what we have seen, the bases are designed around the 10 minute round based FPS games. They are not set up for those epic 3 hour battles that we had in PS1.
I disagree, I think you are wrong, and I think you should watch a stream from Higby.

Yeah, I wrote up a lot of responses describing my experiences from watching Higby play around, about how it did not feel like that at all, and how it took time and determination to take a base. But screw it, it was easier to just do it like that.

Last edited by Harasus; 2012-08-12 at 02:22 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Figment
Lieutenant General

There's however even more sense of accomplishment in closing down the last pockets of resistance and making this happen after a struggle of a day on a continent and of months if not years to make the entire world one colour.

There's a lot of pride involved in not losing all bases and a lot of bragging rights involved in taking "enemy home turf". It's these fights that make you fight hardest are the most intense and where you throw everything you have at the enemy. And I'm not talking kitchen sinks here, I'm talking all the plumbing you can find.

I'm afraid we'll never see that again in PS2 because you simply can't lock down territory. Continental conquest was like the end of a military campaign, allowing you to move on to the next. In PS2, I have no idea when I can "allow myself" to move on to other campaigns, other continents: "I'm not done here, can I ever be done here? Why am I even trying?".

We will need a global, interrelated map eventually with a sense of ownership, invasions of enemy territory and a goal of global domination. When four bases is what enemy territory consists of and even that is unattainable... It's a bit despair raising and with despair comes apathy. Apathy would be the bane to any RTS gamer that tries PS2 for conquest.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-08-12 at 05:23 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
But the game never ends, not even for a second. Apparently continents can't even fully be captured (last I read?).

Whats to win? That incentive is seriously underestimated by the PS1 players. There isn't even a semblance of a true victory, which is a huge incentive this game refuses to add.
Lets take a look at the real world? Have any war been won in reality? Did WW1 really end? Did WW2 really end? Did the cold war really end?

The answer IMO is yes they where won and ended but they also opened up for new conflicts. An ending of something can also be the beginning of something else.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Boone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Lets take a look at the real world? Have any war been won in reality? Did WW1 really end? Did WW2 really end? Did the cold war really end?

The answer IMO is yes they where won and ended but they also opened up for new conflicts. An ending of something can also be the beginning of something else.
I agree. They could even create a "history" on your server. When you look back you can see TR "won" or "owned", however you want to go about it this month and the past few months, then VS really kicked it up in the months of Aug/Sept.

I dunno. Definetely think we need some kind of long term goal. A lot of people are content though with unlocking guns and stuff, but that only lasts til you max out (usually) not very long.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion